Cat-Fi
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #556 of 1,320
Great job there mate. I wish I could do the same but all the cats in my locality are well kept and no stray to be found anywhere.

The Mazda to Lexus story is funny though.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #557 of 1,320

The Mazda to Lexus story is funny though.

It gets worse, kind of. My Mom called from CA a few days after that, told her my friend said "hi," so she asked why we met up (I didn't detect the excitement in her voice at that point), so I told her the story, all the way to the Mazda 323 (Protege) to Lexus LS430 upgrade. Her response was along the lines of, "I was hoping YOU upgraded to a girlfriend (who looks like Marion Cotillard)." And damn Facebook, we've been having conversations there after she broke up with her guy, Mom was all over me on the phone about why I'm not making any moves. What the fudge, Mom. Apparently a Mom's "I like her for my first-born son" kind of crush lasts longer than all my other girlfriends. I just thank God my Mom doesn't butt in on FB and a screen cap of it will make it to Fail Blog. 
angry_face.gif

In any case over here I don't rush the City or the non-gov shelter to do the TNR program for the same reasons why Felis Silvestris (or its ancestor) turned into Felis Silvestris catus - rats. As much as a stiff rat will stink up wherever the strays leave them, I'd  rather they're dead than crawling around outside of the sewer. When I was in Anaheim back in 2012 I thought I'd be far away from them, but then I took out the garbage and opened a dumpster only to be face-to-OMG what is that face with a couple of possums. I never missed our neighborhood strays as much. 

Quote:
  Great job there mate. I wish I could do the same but all the cats in my locality are well kept and no stray to be found anywhere.

The strays here actually aren't in too bad shape, save for when they get into fights or really get sick (like the one I brought to the vet and fed water with that hydration powder in it). Generally, although we'd still do TnR once in a while, generally the strays look healthy enough to seem like outdoor pets who might need a bath next week (yeah, not even immediately). Neighbors leave food on their porch, even making this sound with their tongues (it's hard to describe but in this country everyone uses it to call cats), and it's usually fish or chicken. At some point someone asked why and apparently they're doing it for the exact same reasons: a cat sitting or sleeping on their porch keeps the rats coming out of the sewer away.

EDIT : One more example of why I'm apprehensive about trusting a local cat FB group to take in kittens that I've rescued. One lady just posted about how an airline told them they had no space in the luggage hold for her cat, and told her they can put her in a cargo plane departing two hours after them. She picked up from the tarmac a stiff cat with its mouth wide open and tongue all out. I recommend she sue the airline, but even I know why the hell Tom Hanks was sitting in the cockpit (and therefore survived to become friends with a volleyball), and how that 747 cargo version isn't the same as the 747 Harrison Ford was skulking around in while shooting Russian ultranationalists. I understand how painful it is for her, but still, come on - I'm no engineer but I know it has no real oxygen and temp control system. I've picked up wet packages before, and since that was at the airport, it's clearly condensation and not a leaky FedEx container van.

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #562 of 1,320

mighty bright out these days

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #566 of 1,320
I wish I had not left the tag on my cat 24/7. She just died of a cancer on her neck, right where the tag was! They are good devises but don't leave them on all the time! Just hope this will save another cats life.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #567 of 1,320
I wish I had not left the tag on my cat 24/7. She just died of a cancer on her neck, right where the tag was! They are good devises but don't leave them on all the time! Just hope this will save another cats life.

Thats too bad to hear... :frowning2: My cat never like wearing a collar. He always figured out how to get out ot it. Guess it's a good think I didn't force him. Just give him flea medication.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #568 of 1,320
Thats too bad to hear...
frown.gif
My cat never like wearing a collar. He always figured out how to get out ot it. Guess it's a good think I didn't force him. Just give him flea medication.

I'd use a chip, unfortunately over here the government doesn't have readers. If someone who picks up the cats takes them to vets and animal rights NGOs, they'd likely scan them (even if they have to borrow a scanner), but if they end up in the city pound, good luck. For those who live in countries where the local governments aren't still living like they don't know what technology is, go for a chip.

When I take my cat outside I prefer the body harness over a collar when I use a leash. I don't want him to associate the leash with pressure on his precious little neck, but a tug spread out over his torso.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #569 of 1,320

Grisboy (bilingual name, First part of his name : Gris = Gray, don't pronounce the s & the i sounds like "ee") I'm French & my wife is English = everybody's happy.  His nickname is "mon ti-gars" = "my little guy".  Got him from a woman where I used to work (retired now) when he was 4, he's now 8 so he's had me for 4 years now 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #570 of 1,320
No longer with us....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back