cat ate my grado's...
Jun 27, 2002 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
-well, not the cord, but she chewed the earpads to bits and shreded the membrene so there history. I just had her sterilized and locked up for 8 days so the blame is on me...

anyway, now I need a replacement (headphone, not cat), but grado's are out of the question since the cost close to 150 US dollers here in Norway. I have looked around and found these models and wanted to get some input before I invest in more toys for the feline...:

Sennheiser 477 / 497 (75US / 90US)
Seenheiser EH 1430 (40US)
Koss KSC-35 (90US)

Prices are aprox.

I use a sony D-CJ01 and SRF-m35 so we are talking portable use here, mostly biking, but they also have to survive planetrips in a suitcase. Portable yet great sound...

hope someone takes the time to answer!

best regard, martin

ps. I'm not getting rid of the cat, she's got great taste.

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 14
is there some kind of secret handshake here i dont know about???

-If any one could find the time to reply i would be really greatfull.
Another quick question...The HD497 looks very closed to me, dosent it get "hot-as-hell" in there? compared to the sr60??

br, martin

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by linnem
-

Koss KSC-35 (90US)

No, no secret handshake; however, some people might suggest that you do a search since many of these phones are reviewed ad nauseam in here.

Personally, I liked the 497 okay. Sounded pretty good, but I only listened for 15 minutes or so. The ks35 are real nice, but IMO not as balanced as the 497, and WAY overpriced at 90USD. Haven't really heard the others.

Recommend Search Feature for infinitely more useful advice.

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 14
did the search, read the stuff, but I belive my radical different prices might changes things?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, but what about the heat in the 497's didn't find anything on that...

m

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 14
If you're biking, prolly everything is gonna get hot......I have heard the KSC-35s, and think they are a great buy. $90 is way too much, however......the Senn 497 may be a good buy, but it really comes down to - do you want extra detail and a smooth sound that'll be fun to listen to at home but not as enjoyable as a bassier, less refined sound, with the KSC-35s?

I haven't heard the other models.......

And as for the handshake................too late. Whiners aren't allowed to learn it.

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

-well, not the cord, but she chewed the earpads to bits and shreded the membrene so there history. I just had her sterilized and locked up for 8 days so the blame is on me...

You might want to email Grado and find out the cost of a repair. Given the prices of the headphones where you are, it might be less expensive simply to send them to Grado to get the drivers replaced, and a new set of pads.

Jun 27, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

anyway, now I need a replacement (headphone, not cat), but grado's are out of the question since the cost close to 150 US dollers here in Norway. I have looked around and found these models and wanted to get some input before I invest in more toys for the feline...:

Koss KSC-35 (90US)

Prices are aprox.

I use a sony D-CJ01 and SRF-m35 so we are talking portable use here, mostly biking, but they also have to survive planetrips in a suitcase. Portable yet great sound...

hope someone takes the time to answer!

best regard, martin

ps. I'm not getting rid of the cat, she's got great taste.

I'm pretty amazed you're happy with a D-CJ01 and an SR60 in an 'outside' sitatuation. I have a D-CJ01 among other portables, and a SR60 among other phones and for portable use that's pretty much a bad combination, IMHO.

Why? The Grado aren't really durable or weatherproof enough for biking purposes - and they aren't closed enough to offer good sound while outside - in an urban situation I would have thought you could only listen to them turned up to distortion-causing levels?

(not mentioning the fact that biking and phones dont mix)

The 497's are also very open. Good sound but only in quiet situations.

I suppose if you had to go for one of those listed, it would be the Koss. But $90? A 30 dollar phone costs 90 dollars? Sheesh - I'd heard scandinavian countries have mucho tax but that is ridiculous... With prices like that, I'm lost for stuff to recommend to you.

How much are E888's? Eggos?

Jun 28, 2002 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 14
Hi!

Thanks for all the replys!

First about the prices, sure its expensive in scandinavia, but were are in no way over taxed but that is proberly hard to understand if u havent lived here. Free education, free medical and the list goes on. Hell, were even free to go to Cuba, vote for a communist and if you happend to be gay you can marry your partner. Higher prices on goods? yes, but I dont find it all that annoying...

As for the other prices someone mentioned...
e888 90US
eggos left the stores years ago
mx400 15US
Porta pro 90US
D-CJ01 aprox. 250US (rech. batt. + backlit LCD remote)

Everything comes with at least a 2 year warrenty and the US dollar is very low at the moment.

As for the Sony/Grado combo and biking it suits me very well that I can hear what goes on around me and when things cool down at school by the AVID I get the full grado sound. Used to get that is.....

But I most agree on the portabillity issue on the grado, not great and your right about the fear of the rain
smily_headphones1.gif

martin

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Hi, linnem!

Try searching for lower price of the KSC-35! Great for moving outside, and also for home use. Nice sound and very lightweight.

PS: I could NEVER give her sterilized, she was my greatest love and I always thought if somebody wanted do the same to ME! Pets are for love, we trapped them, they are no longer wild animals, so why adding so cruel operation? She wanted babys for sure...
frown.gif
(Just MY opinion here)

Bye
Moonwalker

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 14
Your right, it is kind of selfish.

Theres only one importer in norway for the kcs-35, and 90US is the asking price...bummer.

m

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Moonwalker
I could NEVER give her sterilized, she was my greatest love and I always thought if somebody wanted do the same to ME! Pets are for love, we trapped them, they are no longer wild animals, so why adding so cruel operation? She wanted babys for sure...
frown.gif
(Just MY opinion here)

Not to be offtopic here, but...there are those animal-lovers who argue that keeping a pet and not having them neutered is more cruel since they go into heat without being sterilized, which some argue is more difficult for the animal to bear. Not sure if this is true, just know that others have argued this.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 14
I may be in the extreme minority here, but I would hesitate before spending any money on the ksc-35's unless you've tried them. I have a pair & simply could never get the hang of putting them on--true after 15 minutes of tugging my ears through the clips, they're great, but what a hassle. I wound up giving them to my daughter & getting a pair of portapros, which I love--they sound just as good (same drivers), are extremely portable & take me 14 minutes and 59 seconds less time to put on. Also, it looks like in Norway you can get the portapro for the same price as the 35's--here in the US the portapros cost a bit more. BTW Moonwalker, overpopulation of *****cats is a terrible problem & millions meet a terrible end every year--much more cruel not to have the operation! Yo quiero los gatitos!

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for all the advice...I went ahead and bought the 497. Arrives in the mail next friday...can't wait!!!

Jun 29, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Great choice (Sennheiser HD 497) for the price, linnem!
biggrin.gif

The Porta Pros there in Norway are also overpriced, as well - $90 is twice as much as the average selling price for the Porta Pros in the U.S. - DUH!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back