Casual music lover looking for new headphones for 50-70 USD
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Noobpwner

New Head-Fier
Alrighty well I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I've done a bit of research but I would love a second opinion from you guys!

Here's all the info I can think of that'll help

My price range is around 50-70 USD
I play alot of games (FPS, RTS and the like)
I plan on using it with portable mp3 players, but I also listen to a ton of music/watch movies at home of course.
Would prefer closed ears, but feel free to suggest some open ones if they're really good.
I listen to a large variety of music, but I suppose overall I listen most to electronic music and rock.
Not really looking for anything too specific when it comes to the actual sound, just overall great quality I suppose. I'm not that picky :p

The pair I managed to find on my own are the HD448s from Sennheiser. They seem really solid and I managed to find a couple refurbished pair for below 70 bucks.

Any thoughts on the 448s, or any alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 8
Best headphone I can think of would be the

Beyer Dynamic DT235 - they look simple and cheap but sound great for the $50 or so.

The other 'giant slayer' to reach prominence of late is the Panasonic RP-HTF600E

I have not heard it but it's getting a lot of exposure at the moment, all for $40 odd dollars.

If you can stretch it - get a Grado SR60i, yes they're open and they look like a relic from
1948 but they would be the best sounding headphone under $100 by a long shot.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Grado SR60i is a great suggestion ($79 Amazon).

Also consider the Sony MDR-V6 ($65 Amazon).

No experience with Samsons.  The reviews on Amazon are positive but I generally find Amazon user reviews to not be that great when it comes to audio.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 8

Welcome to head-fi :)
Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm looking at the Samson SR850s now. I know they're open but other than that they look really great for what I want. Any thoughts?

This is not much of a recommendation but if you're looking for a more portable counterpart, I'd urge you to take a look at the Koss KSC75: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K
For its price, they sound great and won't break easily hehe

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm looking at the Samson SR850s now. I know they're open but other than that they look really great for what I want. Any thoughts?

They are semi-open. I have heard good things about their accuracy for Fps games. I have some friends into gaming.  

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 8
Well I can tell you if you must have precision sound for gaming using 3D enhancement or Dolby. The Samson SR850 is what I use for online gaming.. However. The HTF600s are better at music..Astonishing for music. And it is very great at games and movies as well.. If you plan on more gaming than music the Samsons are better in every way to the AD700s that many will recommend for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back