Cast your vote: Pet Sounds vs. Dark Side Of The Moon
Oct 4, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course. And since this is head-fi, and I'm a part of it, I'm unsurprisingly part of that majority.

That said, I don't really "get" pet sounds, possibly because I wasn't anywhere near close to being born when it was released, although neither was I for DSOTM and I think it's a classic.

Guilty as well.
biggrin.gif

I vote for a prism & rainbow smiley.

Oct 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #17 of 35
Pet Sounds gets my vote without a blink.

[FLAMESUIT]DSotM is art rock for the mullet-n-Camaro set.
eek.gif
[/FLAMESUIT]

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #18 of 35
DSoTM wins for me because it influenced more of the music I like. Which is not to say that Pet Sounds wasn't incredible in its own right. I enjoy a more esoteric quality to my music though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 35
Haven't you heard?

latex2png.2.php

and likewise

latex2png.2.php

Should I be working on a proof?
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

latex2png.2.php

Should I be working on a proof?
tongue.gif

DSOTM for all x (an element of the set "albums") is equal to DSOTM

Am I reading that right
confused_face(1).gif

And grawk, I think DSOTM is way stranger than PS. What makes you think otherwise?

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 35
My disdain for Pink Floyd has often been expressed on these forums - their bloated nursery rhymes and dad rock can't hold a candle to Pet Sounds. I was interested in looking up that touchstone of the mainstream music press Rolling Stone's top 500 albums list (based on votes from musicians, industry figures and critics), and I see that Pet Sounds came in at number 2 and DSOTM at 43. While that overinflates the musical worth of DSOTM, even I will be prepared to concede that its massive sales may raise it into the top 100 somewhere.

Never thought I would ever agree with Rolling Stone...

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopTart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I reading that right
confused_face(1).gif

And grawk, I think DSOTM is way stranger than PS. What makes you think otherwise?

DSOTM is strange like stoned kids playing with studio effects.

Pet Sounds is strange in that it has something unusual to say, and says it beautifully.

Oct 11, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopTart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I reading that right
confused_face(1).gif

It reads DSotM or X (where x is part of some unspecified set of albums) is equivelent to DSotM.
Edit: I see what you probably meant though, you thought the 'OR' symbol was was the all/for any symbol. They're very similar, it just lacks the middle horizontal cross.

I think it should be DSotM 'AND' X (where X is an element of albums) is equivelent to DSotM. Any other album assigned to X (i.e. ~DSotM) and ~DSotM satisfies the left side (e.g. Thriller or DSotM) but not the right; meaning they are not always equivelent. This isn't a problem with DSotM 'AND' X (by a specialization rule). That is unless there is only one item in this set of albums assigned to x, and that one album is DSotM.

Alternatively the equation could just be backwards. DSotM is equivelent to DSotM or X (X is an element of albums) is true.

Maybe I'm wrong and just need sleep. Maybe I'm just reading too far into a (slightly incorrect) discrete math joke implying DSotM is the greatest (or perhaps only) album.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 35
Pet Sounds is about 'growing up'--just. It's close-enough to being a crazy, invulnerable kid that it still has some rompin'-stompin' singalongs for gittin' those pretty beach girls to chirrup around the fire after you've all eaten hot dogs, and smoked and drank, and the stars have come out. Captiol demanded that there be at least one obvious hit, and Brian Wilson consented to putting "Sloop John D" on the album: but even "Sloop John D" is a rollicking sea-shanty about being on a horrible merchant voyage, being persecuted by the lawman, and having a drunk bunkmate eat all your supplies. In one of the most understated lines of 60s pop, Mike Love laments for the young sailor with the observation, "This is the worst trip/ I've ever been on." Well, one doesn't have to have been to too many unfortunate parties to see the double entendre in that.

With the remarkable, bleeding-edge orchestration, Brian Wilson pulled out his best wit in constructing the pop lyrics. There's an honest, open but circumspect realization in the songs about what adult life entails: there are recognitions of how we backslide in the hope that others will get our backs while we do so. There are a lot of songs about a kind of candidly desperate gratitude that we feel towards people (our best girls, mostly) who put up with our crap because they know us and love who they truly know. "God Only Knows" is one of those epically vulnerable love songs that become resplendent.

But everybody knows that the Beach Boys do love songs. There's something else that shows up on Pet Sounds: an adult's awareness of the preponderance of fakery and self-destructiveness in the world. (The fully restored) "Hang On to Your Ego" is Wilson offering the finger to all the hammy surf-clowns of California, while admitting that he know's that he's also guilty. And Ba-ba-ba Ba-barbara Ann--the all-American girl who's hot to go--becomes the emotional car-wreck you can''t bear to watch in "Caroline, No." [The melody's got some similarities to Elvis Costello's later "My Aim is True."]

So there was a shining moment when Brian Wilson was really lifting his weight as a song-writer. The tragic conclusion of "Surf's Up" from the long-time not-to-be-completed sequel of Pet Sounds, Smile, laments that "Surf's up before a tidal wave." And that was the vantage from which the songwriter was writing just before he wiped-out.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #30 of 35
Nice thread, David, and I agree with your post entirely. It would be hard not to vote for DSOTM against any album because it truly is a declarative statement of the art of making an album. But there is something about Pet Sounds that makes me keep coming back to it. I'm 47, and I keep buying new copies in one format or another--and listening! I'm sure you'll enjoy it forever as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back