1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CAST technology, how much do you know?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by johnwmclean, Aug 7, 2009.
First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last
  1. linuxworks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    However, the flipside to this is that no audio company I'm aware of give credit to the original designers of XLR or RCA when they use those connectors

is rca even still IN business anymore?

I know xlr isn't.

(lol!)

2. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

Yes, but someone invented those type of connectors and we don't give credit to them when we use them, do we? [​IMG]

No. As I said, they've become generic terms. Kind of like Kleenex or Vaseline. When you say "Hand me a Kleenex," you're not necessarily asking someone to hand you a Kleenex brand facial tissue. Kleenex has become a generic term for facial tissue in the general population. Now, if you make and sell facial tissue and call it Kleenex, that's another matter.

Quote:

I'm not justifying anyone's actions... you, especially (of me), know that. I'm just continuing the debate to find out what rights one has when it comes to using other components that were designed by someone else.

Understood.

Quote:

I would assume the rights to use XLR and RCA plugs are in the public domain now.

I'm not sure they were ever patented in the first place.

Quote:

After 20 years, I don't know if the Bakoon product is or isn't. This is something that I feel rquires more investigation before you (and others) ccondemn Audio-gd.

I don't have to do any investigating. My condemnation of Audio-gd is largely to do with their exploiting the cachet of the SATRI and CAST trademarks for their own purposes.

Quote:

With regards to the usage of the trademarked names, I'm in total agreement with you and those need to be addressed, as well as changing the SATRI board model number on his site.

And that's what my primary beef has been.

k

3. haloxt
    I really don't know what rephrasing audio-gd has to do to not step on anyone's toes regarding trademarks so I can't help fix their website, but it'd be nice if someone who does could help audio-gd out so everyone is satisfied and we can stop talking about this.

4. Steve Eddy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I really don't know what rephrasing audio-gd has to do to not step on anyone's toes regarding trademarks...

Simple. Stop using the SATRI and CAST trademarks.

k

5. anetode
    Quote:

the flipside to this is that no audio company I'm aware of give credit to the original designers of XLR or RCA when they use those connectors

Genericization

edit: damnit, Koyaan got there already

++edit: Might as well add to the conversation

Despite the moral improprieties committed by Kingwa, he is responding to market demands. I doubt Krell has much saturation in mainland China and their products are out of reach for all but wealthy Western audiophiles. Intellectual property laws are meant to encourage innovation, not to monopolize tech and protect advertising buzzwords. IMHO, YMMV

6. NightOwl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    ++edit: Might as well add to the conversation

Despite the moral improprieties committed by Kingwa, he is responding to market demands. I doubt Krell has much saturation in mainland China and their products are out of reach for all but wealthy Western audiophiles. Intellectual property laws are meant to encourage innovation, not to monopolize tech and protect advertising buzzwords. IMHO, YMMV

Kingwa is not the devil incarnate, but he is far from a saint. He's not providing these products as a not for profit service to bring this technology to the impoverished.
    There are a lot of products that are out of reach of the majority. Make do with something else. We're not talking about food and clothing here.

Intellectual proprerty laws are meant to encourage innovation. If someone else profits from the innovator's work where's the reward to continue to innovate. Just copy the innovator's work and market it cheaper. There's no motivation, aside from personal satisfaction (which doesn't pay the bills), to make something original if you just have to copy it to make a buck.

7. IPodPJ
    Just thought you guys would like to know, Kingwa changed everything on his website:

ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2007, ACSS components have become Audio-gd's most popular products, with a great many customers purchasing them in China and Hong Kong.

8. gevorg
    Quote:

Just thought you guys would like to know, Kingwa changed everything on his website:

ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2007, ACSS components have become Audio-gd's most popular products, with a great many customers purchasing them in China and Hong Kong.

LOL! Thats what I've said previously, just rename it! [​IMG]

9. IPodPJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    LOL! Thats what I've said previously, just rename it! [​IMG]

And I also don't think it would hurt if he mentioned that it was compatible with Krell equipment, for anyone that owns Krell gear.

10. gevorg
    Quote:

And I also don't think it would hurt if he mentioned that it was compatible with Krell equipment, for anyone that owns Krell gear.

[​IMG]

11. tosehee
    Quote:

Is it confirmed?

12. The Monkey Contributor
    Quote:

I see very little upside for him to do that.

13. IPodPJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I see very little upside for him to do that.

People own Krell amps and can use his DACs or preamps with them.

14. The Monkey Contributor
    They're compatible regardless of the use of the CAST/ACSS/Whatever the heck it's called. He's already played with fire with the trademark. No sense in pushing his luck. Lots of risk, very little reward. Bad idea.

15. IPodPJ
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    They're compatible regardless of the use of the CAST/ACSS/Whatever the heck it's called. He's already played with fire with the trademark. No sense in pushing his luck. Lots of risk, very little reward. Bad idea.

They're compatible because they both use the same technology. Anyone can use any equipment together with RCA or XLR, but the fact that Krell and Audio-gd are both designed to work optimally via current transmission is the reason you would want to use such an interface. Using RCA or XLR with Audio-gd equipment will not result in the best possible sound quality.

I'm not saying he should use the word CAST, I'm just saying it may not be a bad idea for him to mention that if you already have Krell amplifiers, our preamps and DACs will work optimally with them.

First

Back
1 2 3
Next

Last