Cassette Adapters(Panasonic, Sony, Monster, etc)
Jun 5, 2005 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CloudySkies

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cassette adapter so that I can use my M3 on the road. I've used the search function and read up all that I can on cassette adapters, but I have a few questions of my own. Based on the reviews at Amazon, it seems like the Monster adapter is surprisingly a poor product, and that the Sony adapter is fairly good but has some compatability issues with certain car decks. I can't find a dirrect review, but every now and then I'd see a stray comment within a review or thread about Panasonic adapters being very good. With that in mind, has anybody tried a Panasonic adapter before? The Panasonic website sells the adapter for $20 and a car kit that also includes a power adapter for $40(the Sony site has the same package for $30). $20 seems kind of steep for a cassette adapter, are the higher priced name brand adapters really worth the $10+ difference as compared to the random no-name adapters? And I also have a vertical mounted cassette deck in my car (98 Ford Contour), do all cassette adapters work with this style of cassette deck or do I need to look for a specific adapter? Any product reviews or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
lambda.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 9
Have you though about using a radio transmitter instead of a cassette adapter? I tried out my dad's cassette adapter on numerous cassette players and they all sound pretty cruddy.

My brother has a radio adapter in his car for his ipod and it sound alot better than i expectef. I did a quick search on ebay which came up with loads of cheap results, it may be worth trying one of them out! (http://search.ebay.com/mp3-RADIO-tra...fkrZ1QQfromZR8)

Dom

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 9
In my own experience, a cassette adapter produces significantly better sound than a FM transmitter. My wife and I have owned three different FM transmitters for our iPods. The cassette adapter is very close to direct line-in quality (I'm currently using a line-in solution), with only a slight reduction in bass impact being noticeable with the adapter vs. line-in.

As for the original poster's questions, sorry I only have recent experience with the Sony adapter, which worked great.

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 9
if u have a cass. deck in ur car use it.... dont use fm transmitters... they sound so bad, i tried all the itrip, airplay and unnamed brands they all sounded terrible (but if you must choose, then airplay)

but as for the cassette adapter, there really isnt much difference, i have sony, jensen, philips and a free one from my xm car kit, they all sound the same... FYI, the philips was like $10 at walmart

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 9
I've gennerally had better luck and sound quality from cassette adapters than FM transmitters.

I returned a Belkin adapter which sounded very bad and distorted with the lineout from my iPod into my Ford truck cassette deck. Not sure if it was defective or just not a good compatability match.

I've used Sony adapters a lot, and have been very happy with them.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dommica
maybe it's just my dad's crappy adapter haha

Yeah, I've got two really oldschool adapters, one from Koss and one from Sony, they both add tons of noise. I need to buy a new one.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies, I found both Sony and Panasonic car kits on efunctional.com for $20 each. $20 for a cassette adapter and a charger is more like it, lol. I'm probably just going to buyt he Panasonic kit and then try a cheap-o wal-mart cassette adapter if that doesn't work out too well. Thanks again.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Cassette adaptors are definitely better than fm....

I've used several adaptors before going to line-in. There is a big difference in sound from company to company. My fav was a cheap Rio! branded adapter I got from "Best" buy. It had the best sound, but developed a short in the cable within a year. The Sony and Magnavox units I've used are also OK. A Phillips model I tried was the worst sounding of the bunch.

Good luck...they do sound different, but you won't find much on the internet comparing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back