Casing - RSA / HeadAmp - where?
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
Where do these two manufacturers acquire the cases for their amplifiers? Does anyone know?

I am slowly contemplating a very large project, and wanted to also find a stellar case to go with it.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 6
They're custom made. Prepare to spend a fortune
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're custom made. Prepare to spend a fortune
smily_headphones1.gif

Not afraid of that - the project being contemplated is more or less end of it for me anyways.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 6
I think the secret to all good casework is in the finishing, not the case itself. For both of the above I believe that they use third part anodizing/finishing which is cost prohibitive for the one-off nature of what we do here in the DIY forum. Also, for the most part both manufacturers use custom sized chassis so you're not likely to find an off the shelf equivalent.

How large a chassis do you need?

As a starting point, for higher quality stuff have a look at:

High quality aluminum enclosures designed for maximum flexibility in form and function
Lansing Instrument Enclosures Product Index

and if your wallet knows no bounds

Welcome to Hexateq Audio Visual - DIY Zone

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the links Nate, that probably should handle my needs if I desire an entirely customized casing.

The project is going to be an attempt at a 4-by-4 Beta 22 build, which I want to couple with a built-in transformer/bias for electrostatic output for an all-in one headphone/speaker amp solution - so things may need to get fairly large, I did not calculate the dimensions yet.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 6
I believe its from context engineering, a full-sized(3u) chassis was quoted for around $200 with no customization iirc.

However, they're not too fond of individual orders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back