Case of the missing low freqs solved.
Sep 24, 2002 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have always moaned and whined about my HD600's not having enough truly LOW end bass, with some classical.

I keep brand new 580's in my bedroom. They also, new, had a lack of truly low end bass.

I created a break in CD with LOW LOW LOW freqs. Gave the 580's about 50 hours of it. Voila! Not great, but there now, and satisfying. Not as shuddering as the 570's but ok.

Then.......................

Over the years, I thought my HD600's were broken in. But apparently you must break them in with music you like and the range you want. My usual low freqs were brief, timewise, and I suppose never really occurred enough to loosen up the HD600's.

Twenty hours on the break in CD for the HD600's did make a difference. I am scared to give them more, but now at least I get a sense of "shudder".

The break in CD is easy to make. I used the "Baba Yaga" track (5 mins) on the Reference Recordings "Mephisto & Co." CD conducted by Eije Oue, and with the Minnesota Orch. This is one great HDCD classical collection. Highly recommended. I just used my computer to copy about 12 tracks of the same Baba Yaga on one CD. One hour of shudder. That did the trick.

I yearn for a Little More Power with premium module, sigh.

Sep 24, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 5
When I first received my HD600's, I broke them in with Holst's The Planets...a lot of dynamics and quite a bit of bass. They went from rather anemic in the the bass department to ear-shuddering
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 5
Now I think that before you invest in the aftermarket cables, BREAK IN THE HD600'S/580'S! With a lot of lows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 5
Hmm, I'll try some holst overnight. . . even though my 580s have about about 150 hours on them, though I haven't done bass break in, specifically. I made my own break in cd though. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back