Case-it-yourself DAC kit
May 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

DKJones96

100+ Head-Fier
Saw this DAC on eBay. Anyone have experience with it?

Features:
1. Digital receiver CS8416
~ 32 kHz to 192 kHz sample frequency range
~ Low-jitter clock recovery

2. Up-bit modular CS8421
~Our Daughter Board design means you can either up-sample (when plugged in) or go without up-sampling (when unplugged). which can NOrmally be found in expensive brand names.

3. DAC CS4398 -A stereo DAC for flagship audio products,
~ Advanced 24-bit resolution and sample rate up to 192kHz
~ 120db dynamic range, -107db THD+N

4. Best components selected
~ Philips high speed diode in 5 individual power regulation supplies
~ Dala and CGW military grade resistors
~ Wima and Nichhicon muse capacitors

~ High precision 1% Dale metal film resistors and Wima capactors,
~ DUAL-FET op-amp NE5532 for the output stage.
~ A pair high quality gold plated RCA sockets for analog output.
~ On board jumper to select the digital input ( coaxial / optical or USB ).
~ High quality Rubycon and WIMA capacitors.
~ Use a lot of High End Nichicon Muse audio grade capacitors.
~ Make to Order Toroidal power transformer, worldwide AC voltage , 110V and 220V, complete separate digital and analog AC supply.

Specifications:
Digital receiver – CS8416
Digital converter – CS4398
Up sampling chips – CS8421
USB IC - PCM2902
Digital input – 1x coaxial, 1x optical, 1xUSB
Analogue output – 2x RCA

I was thinking about going with a Zero DAC but wanted to see if anyone had used this before. I like that it has coax, optical, and USB.

Source:
Hi End 24bit/192KHz Up-sampling DAC Kit with USB input - eBay (item 120418397908 end time May-16-09 18:31:12 PDT)

May 11, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 50
Is that for line-level, power-level, or both? As far as I can tell it only has a line-level output which I would say the Zero has above this DAC but I planned on using my own amps anyways.

I like the modular design of the board. The DAC chip can be interchanged with others using SO to DIP adapters, assuming they are pin compatible, which I think they mostly are.

May 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 50
Yeah... and if it simply cost $140 with free shipping, you'd think it's a great deal
rolleyes.gif

Looks like a nice low-price DAC, now just wait for somebody to chime in with "oh, it has opamps, where's the 'HDAM'" or whatever that thing is called.
tongue.gif

May 12, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by schizo1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's $39.99 for shipping holy crap

Shipping a transformer (and more) internationally from Hong Kong cost a bit.
All in all I think $140 looks fair for this kit.

May 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 50
It looks like it just takes a 36v center tapped transformer. I know I have one of those but it isn't toroidal. 36VCT transformers can be had for under $10 easy.

Electronics Goldmine has them for $3. They have a $10 minimum order but their site is so full of stuff you'll hit $40 before you know it.

May 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah... and if it simply cost $140 with free shipping, you'd think it's a great deal
rolleyes.gif

Looks like a nice low-price DAC, now just wait for somebody to chime in with "oh, it has opamps, where's the 'HDAM'" or whatever that thing is called.
tongue.gif

I wish someone could show me some sound that entered your home stereo that did NOT pass thru at least 10 op amps (in the studio, at mastering, at many places) before it got to you.

I know you know this but the anti-opamp crowd really makes me grin, sometimes. I guess its a grin..
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish someone could show me some sound that entered your home stereo that did NOT pass thru at least 10 op amps (in the studio, at mastering, at many places) before it got to you.

I know you know this but the anti-opamp crowd really makes me grin, sometimes. I guess its a grin..
wink.gif

Not to mention all ears and brains the music has passed. No wonder some recordings sound totally screwed up.

May 12, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 50
Back on track, has someone compared it to the Zero DAC?

There are a couple of different DAC's on Ebay. Most of them use CS4398, but others use PCM1793, TDA1543, AD1852 etc. As I understand it CS4398 sounds (too) detailed, forward and a bit grainy while AD1852 sounds smoother and maybe recessed. I haven't seen any reviews of the PCM1793 DAC. Anyone heard it, or any other DAC/CDP with this chip?

May 12, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 50
apparently I needed a new dac to play with (grin) so I fell for this one. I'll report back when it arrives.

it looks interesting, mostly due to that plug-in upsampler module. it may be something for us diy'ers to toy with.

I opted not to get their toroid. cheap hummy toroids are not useful to me and I'd prefer to get a name brand one, myself. $30 more for their trafo was not a good deal, to me.

May 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #15 of 50
IF you read through the DIYAudio thread, the consensus seems to be to bypass the output stage all together and use 600/600 ohm 1:1 transformers instead. They say it takes the DAC to another level all together..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back