Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,131 of 2,726
Don't headbang too much, bro. The Cascade has very nearly slipped off my head once - no kidding. :sweat_smile:
I have squeeezed the crap out of mine to tighten their grip and they still fall off pretty easily.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,132 of 2,726
They must have re-tuned these because my originals were way too boomy in the bass and overall V-shaped. I did like the rich sound but became overwhelming.

These are the perfect product, for me. Just the right sound. I found the Meze 99's had the right clarity, but the bass was either light or boomy depending on what you were doing. And I never found the Sony Z7's or the Fostex TH-610's to have enough clarity. In the last five years i have bought about 30 sets of headphones and have finally found several pairs that I can enjoy without reservation. I am going to cut back further and expect to have 5 or 6 sets by springtime that I just love.

Took several years and several thousand dollars, but I am a very happy camper these days. Of course everyone is different, but I have finally found a set for every use. :thumbsup: :relaxed:

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #2,134 of 2,726
Jan 11, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #2,136 of 2,726
These are the perfect product, for me. Just the right sound. I found the Meze 99's had the right clarity, but the bass was either light or boomy depending on what you were doing. And I never found the Sony Z7's or the Fostex TH-610's to have enough clarity. In the last five years i have bought about 30 sets of headphones and have finally found several pairs that I can enjoy without reservation. I am going to cut back further and expect to have 5 or 6 sets by springtime that I just love.

Took several years and several thousand dollars, but I am a very happy camper these days. Of course everyone is different, but I have finally found a set for every use. :thumbsup: :relaxed:
Looks like you've had quite the headphone journey!

I guess I can consider myself lucky to have decided on the Cascade as my first serious headphone. It's taken a bit of a backseat recently on account of a new LCD2-Classic I got for Christmas, but when I need/want to use a closed back, I'm reminded how awesome it is.

Apols for a bit of a thread hijack, but I'm curious about the other headphones you've settled on and your thoughts on them? I've been thinking my next headphone might be a Sennheiser HD6??, and I see you've kept the HD660S, how do you like it?

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,137 of 2,726
Looks like you've had quite the headphone journey!

I guess I can consider myself lucky to have decided on the Cascade as my first serious headphone. It's taken a bit of a backseat recently on account of a new LCD2-Classic I got for Christmas, but when I need/want to use a closed back, I'm reminded how awesome it is.

Apols for a bit of a thread hijack, but I'm curious about the other headphones you've settled on and your thoughts on them? I've been thinking my next headphone might be a Sennheiser HD6??, and I see you've kept the HD660S, how do you like it?

It really has been an educational journey. :grin:

I do have to concentrate now on the LCD-2 Classic's to see how they fit in.

I will PM you to answer the larger question.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,138 of 2,726
The Z7M2 has a luscious tone, with a impressive low-end presence; it is not a bass monster, though. In that regard, the Cascade trumps the Sony, at least in mid-bass prowess. The Cascade is just out-and-out fun; it eschews any notion of balance or linearity, and instead attacks you in the face (ears) with copious amounts of bass, energy, and excitement. It's especially relevant for fans of EDM, IMO - the heightened bass and treble sections help to bring a splash of joy and zeal to your music.

Can confirm. Cascades are my daily driver at my desktop with the Rebelamp and ADI-2..only listen to drum & bass primarily, with other genres dotted in here and there when I feel it.
I haven't listened to as many headphones as I'm sure most on this site have, so I don't have years worth of experiences and comparisons to go off of, but I know what I hear, and for electronic music I feel like there may not be much better headphones to really capture the energy and low end.. certainly for the price. For drum and bass particularly they have such control over the low end and reach down deep.
As others have mentioned, there may be better closed back options for wider soundstage or clearer highs.. but for bringing life and vibrancy to synthesized music, it simply wows me continuously. They also really seem to benefit from the right gear. On the ADI-2 amp they sound good for sure, but through the Rebelamp, it gives a different presentation all together.. you can hear and feel the added control and power that the amp grants it, and also enhances the space... I guess this is what others mean when they use the term "holographic".

Only thing I have on my mind these days is how might they be further improved with an aftermarket silver litz cable. I'm currently using a cheaper hybrid cable and wonder if a better cable may take them a step up further still.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,139 of 2,726

It's a wonderful feeling when you find yourself (truly) contented with the gear that you have on hand - some may experience this level of satisfaction immediately, whilst others have been searching for years for that "right one". Whilst the Cascade is not that headphone for me, the subjective nature of this hobby will inevitably result in myriad groups of audiophiles enjoying different things for disparate reasons.

For what it's worth, the Cascade is a fun, enjoyable headphone that performs its task admirably - it is neither pretentious nor uppity. It's an unabashedly delightful headphone to use for a head-bopping, rocking-out session.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #2,140 of 2,726
I listen to lots of the nier automata ost and prog rock, edm and lots of weeb crap. I loooooooooove dark and deep bass, as well as nice warm mids and like my highs clear and detailed. I don’t care much for soundstage tho. Would this be a better option or the lcd 2 closed backs?

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,141 of 2,726
I listen to lots of the nier automata ost and prog rock, edm and lots of weeb crap. I loooooooooove dark and deep bass, as well as nice warm mids and like my highs clear and detailed. I don’t care much for soundstage tho. Would this be a better option or the lcd 2 closed backs?
For EDM, the Cascade is a better fit, IMO - it has a fuller bass profile which lends tracks a healthy and robust push in the lower registers. It is also fairly warm, lush and thick. The highs are not particularly clear or airy, though. On the other hand, the LCD-2 Closed Back is decidedly leaner in tone, with a distinct improvement in resolution, clarity, and dynamics. Bass on the LCD-2 Closed Back is also typically planar, with faster transients and snappier beats. However, the Cascade produces bass in a more engaging manner, offering better texture whilst retaining fairly-good control over the technical-related components (e.g. layering and detail).

I have compared the 2 headphones here.

Jan 18, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #2,142 of 2,726
For EDM, the Cascade is a better fit, IMO - it has a fuller bass profile which lends tracks a healthy and robust push in the lower registers. It is also fairly warm, lush and thick. The highs are not particularly clear or airy, though. On the other hand, the LCD-2 Closed Back is decidedly leaner in tone, with a distinct improvement in resolution, clarity, and dynamics. Bass on the LCD-2 Closed Back is also typically planar, with faster transients and snappier beats. However, the Cascade produces bass in a more engaging manner, offering better texture whilst retaining fairly-good control over the technical-related components (e.g. layering and detail).

I have compared the 2 headphones here.
thanks for that man. I think the aeon 2 closed is the best for me lol.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #2,143 of 2,726
Got my adapter in tonight. When I bought my Cascades I got a 4.4mm cable. I needed an adapter to use XLR. And here it is:
20210119_173817~2.jpg

I will hook it up tomorrow. Also handy for my HD660's.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #2,144 of 2,726
Anyone that's successfully bent the headband care to do a short video or photo showing where you held it etc.

I don't want to mess up the section where the slider slides back into, and not sure how the metal headband I want to bend connects to this peace.

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,145 of 2,726
FYI. Had a fiddle around because I can never help myself.

Headband Bending.

1. Do it with the cups full up, not extended at all. This ensures you don't bend the "rod" (which is actually a band).
2. Use thumbs and fingers to locally bend the middle of the headband to a sharp point. Unlike the ZMF bands, you don't need extreme force.
3. Doing the above ensures no pressure put through the sliding mechanism parts
4. Stick on head and press it down a bit.

ZMF Pilot Pad / Co-Pilot Pad

1. Co-Pilot can be made to fit. Looks a bit average though.
2. Pilot pad in Suede (all I have here) fits. Will post a photo soon. The top layer has enough stretch to get over and fit snug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back