Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Sep 11, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,681 of 2,726
@Spie1904
As for the pads and for the comfort. Re-read my posts. I prefer cloth pads to the standard (leather) ones.
I said that, the limited comfort for me and other owners are a drawback in comparison to iems. Technical this headphone is efficient, they have a sensitivity of 100dB and a driver impedance of 38 ohm. You can power them with a dap or even a phone and from my experience they sounded good from any source.
I agree and I have these as well for the record. I was just wondering about the statement where you said IEM's are required for a commute as these are still ok and probably top class if you like the sound signature for portable headphones.

@Jackpot77 what's your preferred setup nowadays for the Cascade ? I like cloth and T1 or leather and T4.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,682 of 2,726
I agree and I have these as well for the record. I was just wondering about the statement where you said IEM's are required for a commute as these are still ok and probably top class if you like the sound signature for portable headphones.

@Jackpot77 what's your preferred setup nowadays for the Cascade ? I like clotth and T1 or leather and T4.

Still on the T2 / original pads setup myself. Unfortunately the UK dealer for CA doesn't stock the replacement pads, so not been able to get hold of a set of cloth or oversize pads to swap, and ordering direct from CA means a £50 FedEx delivery charge for a £25 pad, so not with it until I have a few things I need to purchase direct from Ken & Co.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #1,683 of 2,726
Still on the T2 / original pads setup myself. Unfortunately the UK dealer for CA doesn't stock the replacement pads, so not been able to get hold of a set of cloth or oversize pads to swap, and ordering direct from CA means a £50 FedEx delivery charge for a £25 pad, so not with it until I have a few things I need to purchase direct from Ken & Co.

That seems pricy indeed for some cloth pads. I do think they bring the bass back a little :)

I'm still in the process of considering to keep the cascade or sell them and order a pair of A12T or QDC as my set for both home and office use. Decisions! So difficult

Edit: The cascade has just a magic that always makes listening to music an absolute joy. Even bad recordings sound decent and it has made me think about enjoying music rather than 'listening'. I almost seemed to forget it's a different thing and one should not forget to enjoy instead of go and look for every detail all the time.

And then I listen to these two songs and I remember why I like this headphone so much. All the FR graphs in the world can tell what they want but I absolutely think these sound amazingly fun.

Using Leather stock pads and T1 filter with the alo 8 upgrade cable in 2.5 balanced to sp1000m.

Lindsey Sterling - Shatter me:

Joe Bonamassa & Beth Hart - Damn your eyes

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #1,684 of 2,726
Cascade are portable enough to replace IEM, no?
As for leather, I agree the leather pads are great. I use leather with T1 filter.

I use cascade with cloth pad as portable. To me yes, it's an iem replacement if you can live with it when out and about. Regardless of price no iem can match the experience of listening to a headphone. Just like a headphone to a speaker.

imo the headband fit needs improvement. At least for me. If there are custom IEMS, I think there should be custom headphones with custom headbands and pad to best fit the user.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #1,685 of 2,726
I use cascade with cloth pad as portable. To me yes, it's an iem replacement if you can live with it when out and about. Regardless of price no iem can match the experience of listening to a headphone. Just like a headphone to a speaker.

imo the headband fit needs improvement. At least for me. If there are custom IEMS, I think there should be custom headphones with custom headbands and pad to best fit the user.

I bent the headband a little like someone suggested earlier and that was a huge increase. I often wonder why the Cascade is frowned upon by so many people. I think it's a very fun headphone and I often prefer it over many IEM's I've heard. On the other hand, I can't always fit the larger multi driver IEM's properly so that may be an explanation for my own preference.

Is the somewhat weird FR graphs that lead some elitist people to bash on the Cascade?
I can certainly see the comfort be a returning criticism but most people who have given it a fair shot seem to agree they sound pretty fun :)

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,686 of 2,726
I bent the headband a little like someone suggested earlier and that was a huge increase.

I can`t do that to my cascades, it hurts my eyes and my heart. I saw pictures in this thread. I assume that we are talking from the same guy. But the headband is made from spring steel so it is possible to return to their original shape.

I often wonder why the Cascade is frowned upon by so many people.

It´s just not a cheap headphone, like maybe sennheiser hd5xx/hd6xx. On their website they listed it since weeks or even months as out of stock. I would bet, that they have reached their sales target.

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,687 of 2,726
It´s just not a cheap headphone, like maybe sennheiser hd5xx/hd6xx. On their website they listed it since weeks or even months as out of stock. I would bet, that they have reached their sales target.

Ha, that's one way of looking at it.
I don't know but I find it a really great headphone to listen to and I even use it over my custom IEM's at times (mid FI ones).
I don't know how they'd compare against a high end custom but I'm really happy with the cascades myself. I just often wonder why people bash so heavily because the FR isn't what it should be according to measurements? Is my hearing that 'broken' or is that just a very elitist way of judging a headphone. Something designed to bring you a fun and joyous musical listening experience. Some IEM's I've heard are considered near perfect FR but aren't exactly the most musical things around (I can understand that for mixing purposes that's a different story though).

Sep 16, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,689 of 2,726
Ha, that's one way of looking at it.
I just often wonder why people bash so heavily because the FR isn't what it should be according to measurements? Is my hearing that 'broken' or is that just a very elitist way of judging a headphone.

Dan Clark (mr speakers) said about himself that he is not able to judge the sound just by looking at a measurement.

Is my hearing that 'broken' or is that just a very elitist way of judging a headphone.

Just trust your ears.The measurements are a additional oppurtunity to evaluate the technical aspects of a headphone, I don`t think it`s about elitism.
Otherwise reading a measurement is not difficult. The problem with measurements is that they have to be correct, before they getting informative. There are to much interpretations of measurements which are not correctly recorded. I just would take some measurements and interpretations of them with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back