Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,397 of 2,727
Hard to go wrong on the DX200 as it is a great DAP by pretty much all measures. The Cascade doesn't really need a ton of power so no need for the most potent amp module to push them which conserves a bit on battery life too. I know @ngoshawk has the QPR so you might ask him for his take on the pairing as I haven't heard that one to speak to it. The Shanling M3s or M5s would make good options as well. I had the M3s paired with the cascades for awhile and found it to be quite good. I'm using mine mostly with the Opus #1s or desktop setup (Ifi iOne with Burson Fun amp) as I am not a big user of streaming services so that pairing works for me but will likely be less than good with your choices in source.

Btw wat setup did you end up with in terms of filters? Currently I am on cloth pad with T1 but haven't burned in yet. Leather was more comfy at times it felt like but I am not sure yet on the best setup overall in terms of filters and cloth or leather pads :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,398 of 2,727
Btw wat setup did you end up with in terms of filters? Currently I am on cloth pad with T1 but haven't burned in yet. Leather was more comfy at times it felt like but I am not sure yet on the best setup overall in terms of filters and cloth or leather pads :)

I'm using the T1 and the cloth pads as well as I have kind of settled on that being the best balance.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,399 of 2,727
After spending more time with the Sony and playing with filters on the Cascade I want to better explain the differences.

The Sony has great bass with exquisite details. When the music requires it, it can go deep but it's very clean and detailed. On the Cascade the bass is a bassheads dream, deep and impactful. Like being at a concert where you hear and feel the bass. However by doing this, the bass is not as clean and detailed. With the #4 filter in the Cascade, the bass details are improved but still nowhere near the Sony. Maybe Ken can get future headphones to sound closer to the Sony :).

Another reason the Sony might not have the bass impact could be the stock cable which is silver plated copper. Because of that I decided to splurge and ordered the Kimber AXIOS-CU for the Sony. This cable is 16 strand.s of copper and is supposed to improve the bass and treble details. Hopefully I'll have it before next weekend and will provide an update once I have it.

In either case the Sony is my primary headphone for serious listening and the Cascade for everything else.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #1,400 of 2,727
After spending more time with the Sony and playing with filters on the Cascade I want to better explain the differences.

The Sony has great bass with exquisite details. When the music requires it, it can go deep but it's very clean and detailed. On the Cascade the bass is a bassheads dream, deep and impactful. Like being at a concert where you hear and feel the bass. However by doing this, the bass is not as clean and detailed. With the #4 filter in the Cascade, the bass details are improved but still nowhere near the Sony. Maybe Ken can get future headphones to sound closer to the Sony :).

Another reason the Sony might not have the bass impact could be the stock cable which is silver plated copper. Because of that I decided to splurge and ordered the Kimber AXIOS-CU for the Sony. This cable is 16 strand.s of copper and is supposed to improve the bass and treble details. Hopefully I'll have it before next weekend and will provide an update once I have it.

In either case the Sony is my primary headphone for serious listening and the Cascade for everything else.

You are pending Sony XB1000 with Sony wm1a only ?

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,401 of 2,727
I'm using the MDR-Z1R/AXIOS Cu on a TA-ZH1ES connected to a Sony dock and WM1Z.

I use the Cascade on TA-ZH1ES connected to a Sony dock and WM1A.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,402 of 2,727
Though i am enjoying my cascades with iBasso DX150/amp6 I was wondering how they'd sound with a tube amp has anyone tried? I want dx150 to be the source and get Cypher lab sustain84 tube amp as I am getting a killer deal from a local guy here in China sustain84@ 250$ shipped which is crazy good as its almost brand new.
I have hifiman he400i, cascades and planning to get Ibasso Sr1 to pair with this amp

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,404 of 2,727
Hello All,

I just got a pair of Cascades and I'm (mostly) loving them. I also just picked up a pair of Lyra II's, which are fantastic, so I guess I'm going all-in on Campfire right now.

The Cascades seem to scale well with slightly better gear. Running them straight out of my phone (LG V35) is usually good, but on a song like "Corduroy" by Pearl Jam, or Queens of the Stone Age's "In the Fade", the bass can become overpowering. Stepping up to an ifi iDSD Nano Black Label or Pro Ject Pre Box S2 Digital seems to tame the overly heavy bass considerably on the songs where it's a problem. Bearing that in mind, what portable or small desktop sized (this is for a cubicle) DAC/AMPs have folks had good success running the Cascades through?

I've considered a Chord Mojo, Aurender FLOW, ifi xDSD, ALO Continental V5 (just an amp, I know), and even something like the Schiit Fulla or JDS Labs Element. I've heard good things about all of them, but I'd like to know if anyone has any other recommendations before I pull the trigger. I do most of my digital listening through Tidal, so MQA support would be good, but isn't absolutely essential.

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #1,405 of 2,727
Hello All,

I just got a pair of Cascades and I'm (mostly) loving them. I also just picked up a pair of Lyra II's, which are fantastic, so I guess I'm going all-in on Campfire right now.

The Cascades seem to scale well with slightly better gear. Running them straight out of my phone (LG V35) is usually good, but on a song like "Corduroy" by Pearl Jam, or Queens of the Stone Age's "In the Fade", the bass can become overpowering. Stepping up to an ifi iDSD Nano Black Label or Pro Ject Pre Box S2 Digital seems to tame the overly heavy bass considerably on the songs where it's a problem. Bearing that in mind, what portable or small desktop sized (this is for a cubicle) DAC/AMPs have folks had good success running the Cascades through?

I've considered a Chord Mojo, Aurender FLOW, ifi xDSD, ALO Continental V5 (just an amp, I know), and even something like the Schiit Fulla or JDS Labs Element. I've heard good things about all of them, but I'd like to know if anyone has any other recommendations before I pull the trigger. I do most of my digital listening through Tidal, so MQA support would be good, but isn't absolutely essential.

Thanks!

I have the Mojo and the xDSD. Both work well with the Cascade, though I couldn't speak to the particular songs you mention, since that's not a genre I listen to, so couldn't guess what is an acceptable frequency response.

Having said that, I would really consider going a different route. Instead of these DAC units designed to work with your phone or other source, I'd suggest getting a DAP. A lot of DAPs have pretty significant EQ capabilities which can be an advantage for a variety of headphones, and gives you granular control as your brain gradually adjusts its interpretation of sound, and starts to desire a different sound profile.

While many DAPs have EQ, I only have experience with the Cayin n5ii, Hiby R3, Hiby R6, and soon, the Opus 1s (which I just ordered for want of a digital optical out). All of these have EQ capabilities, and the R3 and R6 have another sound profile adjustment feature called Magic 8 Ball, or MSEB which is a different method of adjusting sound profiles.

Listening to the Cascade, I find myself messing around with EQ a fair bit over very long listening sessions. They are enjoyable, but on some songs, some parts of the frequency range can be overbearing, or in some cases, less prominent than I'd like.

Just a thought.

Dec 15, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,406 of 2,727
Auditioned these today with the xDSD. Basement Jaxx - Mermaid Of Salinas, was heard in a way like never before! :L3000::ksc75smile:

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,407 of 2,727
Auditioned these today with the xDSD. Basement Jaxx - Mermaid Of Salinas, was heard in a way like never before! :L3000::ksc75smile:

I rather enjoy that combo as well! Lucky enough to pick up a barely used pair for a song. Now I can enjoy many songs!

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,408 of 2,727
Does anybody have any updates on the large pads? I was expecting a November release and I'm getting antsy. Also... Ken, if you're listening, having a thin case that stores the headphones flat would be a definite purchase for me. Hopefully others can chime in if it's a universally desired item.

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,409 of 2,727
Does anybody have any updates on the large pads? I was expecting a November release and I'm getting antsy. Also... Ken, if you're listening, having a thin case that stores the headphones flat would be a definite purchase for me. Hopefully others can chime in if it's a universally desired item.
I had a chat with Ken at RMAF (and also tried on the large pads he had with him). I can confirm Ken's plan was for Nov. introduction, but he did tell me there are some factors outside of his control that could delay that to Dec.
At this point, Jan. is a more likely month than Dec. unfortunately.

I can confirm that comfort was WAY better compared to original pads! Definitely want a pair, too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back