Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Oct 27, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,366 of 2,726
speaking about selling: Alas I have to let go of my Cascades, as my work colleagues are complaining because I´m listening too loud (and with the cloth pads the leakage seems to be a bit more than with leather). So I had to settle to IEMs. At home I have open backs, so the Cascade has to go, as they get too less ear time to justify keeping them. Just contact me if you´re interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/campfire-audio-cascade-cloth-pads.891792/

Oct 28, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,367 of 2,726
^^ I appreciate the input. Certainly not planning on using any headphones “on the move” so to speak, as I prefer to be aware of my surroundings as a generally clumsy person haha.

But I’m liking what I’m reading about the cascades. If they really would be a solid sound upgrade to my THX00 with added portability and comfort, I just might be sold.

As noted in other forums do not bother with cloth pads just eq the bass down if it is too much and it will open sound stage and hear details easier, I like both flavors. I did not like cloth pads as much

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,368 of 2,726
I really like the sound of these, too bad about the long term discomfort on the top of my head (hot spot.)

I hope Campfire comes out with a “Mk II” some day; with a new headband design.
That's the reason I sold mine.

And I look like a dork on the streets with that wide-ass headband.
+1000 :confused:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,369 of 2,726
Guys i need your help decide between Vega or Cascade? There's a sale coming up soon and the price of new cascade will be equal to the pre-owned Vega which is still under warranty and sparingly used. I already own shure se846, hifiman he400i, campfire Lyra ii and Comet and due to the fit issues I have with comet i am not going for Atlas but anyhow what would be a great buy for me as I love bass. Sadly I cant try them before I buy so i rely mainly on your input. I will be pairing it with the iBasso dx200/dx150 with amp7 ( will be buying the DAP and Headphone/iem around the same time.)

I remember trying Vega for a few minutes out of 1+6 phone and wasn't blown away from the bass at all it felt more like a Lyra ii maybe it was the phone or maybe my expectations were too high. I really want to get that bass TBH

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,370 of 2,726
Compared cascade with atlas and other earhpones just buy cascade no comparison, it destroed earphones in every aspect up to 2000 dollar

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,371 of 2,726
I'd say that the Cascades get 90% of my headphone usage at home (music, movies, games where I don't need/want a mic), with around 6% of my usage to the Aeon closed (audio/video editing), and the rest of my home usage split between the Vegas (rarely used at home, mainly for commuting/subway) or Sennheiser PC350SE (used when headset/mic is needed for games or phone/video calls). I probably could edit audio using the Cascades, but putting on the Aeon kind of puts me into work mode. HA! For me, the Cascades out of the box had the perfect highs and lows, that makes everything a joy to listen to. My only gripe is that they don't isolate that well, but given that they are meant to be a portable headphone, that makes sense. With any luck the new, larger earpads that are supposed to be out soon will add a bit more isolation. If not, I'll still get them for the comfort factor (the cups on the Cascades don't leave much, if any, room for my ears), although I'll probably start looking for a headphone with a similar sound but with better noise attenuating/isolating qualities.

You can't really go wrong with the CFA Cascade if you like a "V" shaped sound.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,372 of 2,726
Have to agree with the discomfort on the top of the head, after 30-40 mins they become unbearable, which is a shame, selling them now :frowning2: But got happy with the iBasso SR1 that blow everything away in the 1000-1500 $ bracket for me.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,373 of 2,726
Well the headband is stupid, it feels like a golf ball on top pressed onto my skull. But extending the headband so it doesnt press down too hard helps. Another thing is its bass, I love bass but the Cascade has a lot of it so best to match the Cascade with a very neautral dac. The Cascade can sound really great on some recordings and soso on other recordings.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,374 of 2,726
Well the headband is stupid, it feels like a golf ball on top pressed onto my skull. But extending the headband so it doesnt press down too hard helps. Another thing is its bass, I love bass but the Cascade has a lot of it so best to match the Cascade with a very neautral dac. The Cascade can sound really great on some recordings and soso on other recordings.

You need to try the Cloth pads if you haven't yet. They really help bring some balance back into the signature.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,375 of 2,726
You need to try the Cloth pads if you haven't yet. They really help bring some balance back into the signature.
Where do I get the cloth pads ?

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #1,376 of 2,726
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #1,377 of 2,726
Nov 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,378 of 2,726
Thxs, would that muffle the sound ?

I find that the cloth pads bring the bass back into proportion with the rest of the signature and really gives you the best of the cascade. Details are preserved and treble seems to be very minimally impacted while bass is reduced a good bit. Bass was always tight on the Cascade so not a matter of cleaning it up, just a matter of making it somewhat less forward. I have used the leather pads very little since receiving the cloth pads from Ken awhile back. It wont turn the cascade into a reference headphone, but for those that just feel the cascade has too much low end, it is a great option.

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,379 of 2,726
I find that the cloth pads bring the bass back into proportion with the rest of the signature and really gives you the best of the cascade. Details are preserved and treble seems to be very minimally impacted while bass is reduced a good bit. Bass was always tight on the Cascade so not a matter of cleaning it up, just a matter of making it somewhat less forward. I have used the leather pads very little since receiving the cloth pads from Ken awhile back. It wont turn the cascade into a reference headphone, but for those that just feel the cascade has too much low end, it is a great option.
Thxs again, my go to headphone is the th900 and I eq it for more sub bass. I do like the cascades treble and mids just the bass covers the other freqs at times.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #1,380 of 2,726

I only just got my cascade, what DAP would you recommend in general? Or am I better off with a DAC/AMP? Currently using mostly streaming tidal or Spotify (in the past) from my Samsung s9 plus and potentially looking at upgrading to a balanced cable.

I heard good things about the Ibasso DX200 and QPR2 :)
I probably prefer the Ibasso because it can run either streaming services and local music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back