Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Apr 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #766 of 2,727
Hello,
Anyone could tell me the depth of the pads up to the driver?
I've got big ears (on the Meze 99 Classics with the larger pads I touch the driver and it is painful)...
I live in Switzerland so returning them is going to be $$$$$$.

Thanks!

The pads are very deep... more so than most. Not sure how they compare to yours but they are similar to my AFO in depth. However I still found them uncomfortable because the pads are too narrow.

Pity... I would have loved them as a portable pair.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #767 of 2,727
The pads are very deep... more so than most. Not sure how they compare to yours but they are similar to my AFO in depth. However I still found them uncomfortable because the pads are too narrow.

Pity... I would have loved them as a portable pair.

Cascade pad depth is about 5/8 inch, while the AFC pads are 3/4 inch deep, if that helps. I got the Cascade's to replace my HD8 Dj (which also has 5/8 inch deep pads), in hopes that they would be a much more comfortable headphone for marathon listening sessions. The Cascade's definitely sound brighter on the high end, with seemingly more instrument separation, but are only somewhat more comfortable than the HD8s. I think the top of my head is sensitive to the clamping forces that the Cascade have. I also wish that the Cascade pads were a bit wider, to make positioning the headphones over the ear less of a chore and a bit more comfortable. I wonder if we can convince CFA to make larger pad replacements? Considering the current pads are magnetically attached, it would be doable.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #769 of 2,727
Does anyone here find anything strange sounding in the mids and/or highs here? Just wondering since IEMs typically have this problem and if these were tuned to sound like IEMs then there.... I haven't heard any of the campfire IEMs yet though but was just saying in general, almost all IEMs I have tried have weird tunings for me. Maybe its my ears not compatible with most manufacturer's IEM reference curves I really don't know.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #770 of 2,727
Experimenting with my gear, I think I've landed on the perfect pairing: Cascade with the Astell & Kern SP1000. No tuning pads; unblanced 3.5mm headphone. No boomy bass, great soundstage, match made in heaven. Really brings out the greatness in the Cascade. I'm still resisting using the tuning pads, and I guess that's a personal quirk of mine. Feel the same about my AFOs; I think they sound best without tuning pads (but with the black foam insert since it doesn't alter the sound too much).

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #772 of 2,727
This is just from memory (so please take that with the obligatory bucket of salt), but the Cascade is a lot more like the Nighthawk than the Nightowl in terms of tuning. More bass, "bigger" sound and a more dynamic feel to the presentation.

I absolutely love the NH, but didn't feel the same way about the 'Owls, so bear that bias in mind.

Overall, I'd say I remember the Nightowl as being a little more overtly analytical and neutral compared to the Cascade, but the Cascade may well have a similar level of actual detail retrieval.

I much prefer the Cascade as the "better" headphone out of the two for my preferences.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #773 of 2,727
Of all the discussions I've followed on Head-Fi, I think those related to the Nighthawks are the most passionate and polarizing. I owned the NH only briefly because the mids (and the vocals especially) seemed distant, and no amount of EQ-ing could change my impression. The Cascade sound to me is crisp, clear, and immediate (if that makes sense) in the vocal frequencies––the opposite of what I recall about the NH. Funny thing is, I was bonkers in love with the NH when I got them, but the love quickly waned. Bottom line is that I think these 2 headphones couldn't be more different from one another. Never listened to the NightOwls, but I've heard they're cut from the same cloth.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #774 of 2,727
I absolutely love the NH, but didn't feel the same way about the 'Owls
Interestingly, I am exactly the same! Loved the NH but was unimpressed by NO. Did not directly A/B them, but just did not like the NO sound. Do not even remember what exactly sounded wrong to my ears with them...

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #775 of 2,727
20180405_225313.jpg

Just received the tour unit and loving them so far!

Haven't played with the filter yet but will do it this weekend :ksc75smile:

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #777 of 2,727
Run pink noise through them overnight and/when you're not using them. That will settle down somewhat, but there is still a lot of bass.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #778 of 2,727
I just received my pair and noticed that the extremely boomy bass comes from the ear pad, which is to me unlikely to be attenuated by changing cables.
These headphones need some time to settle in. Once i got my set over 100 hours of listening/pink noise/frequency sweeps the bass started to settle and around hour 120-150 they really started to sing. I love these cans. If I were Iron Man my suit would be within these headphones around my neck.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #779 of 2,727
I'm running the Aeon Closed and Cascade as my two contrasting pairs of over-ears at the moment to cover all my sonic requirements - Elear and Nighthawk don't get a look in any more.

Just discovering the Cascade through the SXC balanced cable - not a night and day difference, but think it adds a little something.
I have an Elear and Nightowl and will be trying the Cascade during its tour. I am hoping to feel the same way as you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back