Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #331 of 2,727

Thanks for filling in those blanks. All good news (to me).

ALO/CA really know what they're doing with the presentation of this headphone. If they packed in a balanced cable w/ a 4.4 plug like Sony and Senn are doing now, and it was the same quality as the Litz cloth one that comes standard, all us Sony DAP fanboys (raises hand) would be set as-is. But no ... shiny SXC8 cable over here completes the package, and after seeing it in your video there's no way I could do without it. Dangit. It'll be a while before I jump on, but I think I'm sold. ALO doesn't have the cable in stock right now anyway.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #332 of 2,727
Thanks for filling in those blanks. All good news (to me).

ALO/CA really know what they're doing with the presentation of this headphone. If they packed in a balanced cable w/ a 4.4 plug like Sony and Senn are doing now, and it was the same quality as the Litz cloth one that comes standard, all us Sony DAP fanboys (raises hand) would be set as-is. But no ... shiny SXC8 cable over here completes the package, and after seeing it in your video there's no way I could do without it. Dangit. It'll be a while before I jump on, but I think I'm sold. ALO doesn't have the cable in stock right now anyway.

20180221_001152_001[1].jpg

It's super dope.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #333 of 2,727
Not sure where you are in GA but if you feel like a road trip to TN you are welcome to take a listen to the ones I have here.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #334 of 2,727
In taking the Cascade to Carolina Canfest, I must say the feedback was predominantly positive. Comments broke down into basically 5 lines of thought.

1.) Build Quality: That the Cascade's build is top notch cannot be denied, they are built like a tank.
2.) Sound Quality: Details and micro details are better than expected by most who tried them. Consider the fact this is in a loud environment so isolation was also key to being able to hear any details.
3.) Sound Signature: The Cascade is definitely a mid and bass centered affair, which is not to say the top end is bad, just not emphasized. Even with filters, these are a mid forward/bass forward design.
4.) Soundstage: Somewhat small due to closed back design but still well shaped, intimate, manages to have better dimensions than expected.
5.) Filters: Universally not well understood. No marking on pads to show proper alignment, no diagram in manuals to show usage clearly. Video on website makes no reference to proper use of filters or show filter placement. Additionally, most were confused on what impact to expect each filter to have when used.

A set of FR charts showing each filter would go a long way to dispelling some of the confusion along with a video or still shots of placement of the filter properly on the pads.

Thanks for the feedback Wiljen,

Regarding #5. There is a manual in the package that details the use of the tuning dampers, we will also highlight this on the website.

Cascade-Tuning-Manual-1.jpg

Cascade-Tuning-Manual-2.jpg

So each damper has a pattern "notch" cut out of it to identify the value.
Remove the ear pad and just place the damper in the open window at the top of pad
Carefully replace the pad back on the cup taking care not to move the damper from the window

Hope this helps.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #335 of 2,727
I had that manual out, but the picture of the backside of the pad is a bit generic as it doesn't show the cutout the dampers fit over the top of as clearly as needed. Most were looking for a pocket of some type and thought the white permanent damper was some form of holder for the replaceable dampers.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #336 of 2,727

Remove the ear pad and just place the damper in the open window at the top of pad
Carefully replace the pad back on the cup taking care not to move the damper from the window

Hope this helps.

Ken

Ken, have you watched the YT review posted by @Hawaiibadboy yet? His method of placing the damper on the cup side above the driver and then installing the pad ... ok? Looks ok, looks a lot easier too.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #337 of 2,727
Thanks for the feedback Wiljen,

Regarding #5. There is a manual in the package that details the use of the tuning dampers, we will also highlight this on the website.

Cascade-Tuning-Manual-1.jpg

So each damper has a pattern "notch" cut out of it to identify the value.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Just to understand clearly. These dampener is to reduce the highs so that more mid and bass?
The guide says "bigger" the level of mid and low frequency response with lower number. But comparing to the default (no dampener), is the mid and low get more or less?

Thank you.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #338 of 2,727
Just to understand clearly. These dampener is to reduce the highs so that more mid and bass?
The guide says "bigger" the level of mid and low frequency response with lower number. But comparing to the default (no dampener), is the mid and low get more or less?

Thank you.

The dampers will give you slightly more mid and low sensitivity but also will effect the HF a bit, your milage will vary so please experiment and have fun.

Cheers

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #339 of 2,727
Ken, have you watched the YT review posted by @Hawaiibadboy yet? His method of placing the damper on the cup side above the driver and then installing the pad ... ok? Looks ok, looks a lot easier too.

Indeed, and the video was very helpful. Hawaiibadboy's suggestion is a good one, you just want to make sure the window on the earpad is totally blocked with the fabric.

Cheers

ken

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #340 of 2,727
They are definitely crisper that the Nighthawk, but I always think that headphone has a lot more clarity than people give it credit for, despite the darkness.
Agree to disagree. :confused:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #341 of 2,727
Sat listening to "Whiskey And You" by Aaron Lewis on the Cascade after c. 120hrs burn in. Sound is rich and full. I'm smiling. Life is good.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #343 of 2,727
I don't know who said it, but I would say they are doing something wrong as I find the isolation to be good. I would not hesitate to wear these on a crowded bus or plane and expect not to hear much of any outside noise.
I am the one who wrote that in the impressions thread (for CanJam NYC).
I am not sure what I was "doing wrong", but putting them on my head (I am not wearing glasses) - I could hear the show floor ambient noise a lot more than other better isolating headphones (such as Mr. Speakers AFC for example).

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #344 of 2,727
The dampers will give you slightly more mid and low sensitivity but also will effect the HF a bit, your milage will vary so please experiment and have fun.

Cheers

ken
Ok. Thank you, Ken.

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #345 of 2,727
I am the one who wrote that in the impressions thread (for CanJam NYC).
I am not sure what I was "doing wrong", but putting them on my head (I am not wearing glasses) - I could hear the show floor ambient noise a lot more than other better isolating headphones (such as Mr. Speakers AFC for example).
Just to clarify:
I really liked the sound signature. If I didn't already own the Sony Z7 - I would definitely buy the Cascade!
As for isolation - it is not terrible. I would NOT use it on a flight, but it is perfectly good for office environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back