Cascade Headphone by Campfire Audio

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by KB, Feb 1, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. Spandy87
    Yeah I can't confirm fully how long the demo was burned in, but I do know the shop owner is typically very good about ensuring he represents the products well and fairly, whether that's with amp pairings or time spent on. He knows his stuff very well. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that just because an iem behaves a certain way that an over ear from the same company would behave that way too. But it could very well be the case, I'm just a skeptic.

2. Adventure
    I cannot agree more!!!

3. easily_amused
    Ken literally posted in this thread at least once specifically to point out the Cascade benefits heavily from a long burn in. He recommend (I believe, please correct me if wrong) 3 days full time burn in before listening.

4. Fernando Goñi
    Perhaps that has something to do with the Beryllium diafragm. Years ago at a HiFi dealer I heard one of the 1st Focal speakers with Beryllium Dome just out of the box and compared them with another pair with a very long burn in and the difference was astonishing. I think overall that burn in is a bit overrated but in that case it was really worth it.

AlwaysForward likes this.
  5. x RELIC x Contributor
    Here:

Still curious what changes occur Ken. What opens up, bass, treble / clarity?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. AlwaysForward
    Oh my god as an EDM fanatic, these initial Impressions are super encouraging. I'm one that really enjoys the Elear for it's bass. I'd love to hear how these compare.

trellus and cardeli22 like this.
  7. Primum Audire
    First post. Exciting times for headphone newbie. So many choices.

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM
  8. Spandy87
    You misunderstood me. I totally agree that burn in is a thing. But what changes with burn in isn't necessarily the same between iems and over ear headphones. Like I'm talking about the specific characteristics of the vega, or andros vs the Cascade, and nothing about the fact that they're from the same company entails that the physics and engineering of the drivers would result in the same burn-in characteristics. People keep saying "if it's anything like vega..", but the only tangible similarly between the two is the sound signature. These are categorically different things. So bass being tamed on an iem after burn in doesn't mean bass will be tamed on an over ear by the same company necessarily. It could absolutely be the case, and in my opinion that would be great. But it's fallacious to assume they would just by dint of the vega doing so too.

easily_amused likes this.
  9. Mark Up
    Short headband reach again. I'm a 2 XXL hat size, I'm sure they won't fit like 90% of headphones. I don't get it. To all companies listening, add an inch of extension to each side, just 1-2 more "clicks" reach, and folks like me will be able to wear your headphones. Make larger earpads too. Yes, for "portable". Bose has had its QC design out for years. Small, very portable, they'll also open far enough for my head, and the ear cups, though taking up little space, go fully around the ear without it touching the inside. Can't other companies get this? Saving 1/2 inch, or far less, in diameter / circumference of ear cups will not make or break portability. Also, 1/2 inch more metal on the sliders on each side won't affect it, at all. Focal Listen has this issue. It just doesn't open far enough, it's way too small, and the famous small Focal ear cups. Yet for a closed it sounds remarkable. Some of the best bass ever. Get it together people.

dukeman and Spandy87 like this.
  10. Spandy87
    You should get the Andromeda :)

ugh now I want an Andromeda. My poor wallet.

I'd say if you get a chance, try the Cascade on for size. I did have to extend the yokes to the max, but there is also plenty of range of motion with them and once at max extension they could probably fit a wider range of headshapes, so you might find that it works out in the end.

Gww1 likes this.
  11. Jalo
    You said “but the only tangible similarly between the two is the sound signature” That is not true, the only tangible similarity between the two is the material that made up the driver which is Beryllium PVD. Many vega users including myself has the impression that the change/decrease in bass after burn in is due to the driver hence leading me to suspect that the Cascade will behave similarly. Definitely not because the two comes from the same company. Btw, I also have the Utopia which has a beryllium driver and it doesn’t have such burn in effect. Ken can chime in as to the nature of the change after burn in.

I am actually disappointed that the Cascade case does not use liquid metal as is originally suggested but given the current price point I guess it will not be possible. I also am actually excited that your initial impression suggests that the Cascade has that Vega bass. I do think a rectangular ear cup needs to be bigger.

12. Spandy87
    Right but an over-ear driver is totally different from an IEM regardless of the materials used. Bass quantity, in my experience, is typically affected more by pads, angles, and driver tuning than driver materials (correct me if I'm wrong here). I have had bass quality improve with other cans after burn-in, but I thought the bass quality on the Cascade was already decent. Just too much of it. I do agree though, that the proper assessment needs to be done after the several days of burn-in recommended, which the demo unit may have had... I just can't know for sure. It did have at least one day of burn-in since I wasn't able to make it to the shop until a few days after he got it in, so that's something.

13. LajostheHun
    that headband design looks problematic to me the same way NAD HP50 turned out to be for many. of course without wearing one it is impossible to judge for sure....

Spandy87 likes this.
  14. orderingrabbits
    I just noticed you said you had to max out the headband. What setting do you wear your D2000 on? As someone who doesnt fit a good 30-40% of headphones, the choice between the cascade and aeon may have been made for me already.

15. Spandy87
    I no longer have the D2000, but I definitely didn't max out the headband. The D2000 was much more comfortable. Also lighter.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last