Cary Audio SLI 80 - Owners Unite!
Apr 14, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #241 of 298
  What speakers do you have - can you bi-amp? Run the 500MB for the bass only?

I have Usher Floorstanding speakers (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/usher/x-929/prd_327543_1594crx.aspx)
Yes I can bi-amp them but other things involved, most annoying is mismatch of wattage. While 500MBs drive lows with 1k@4ohm (my speakers have 4ohm) highs driven with SLI-80, I guess thats what you mean.. I have also tried 500MBs with an active pre-amp, driving Ushers with 1K watts,very intrestingly, SLI-80 still shines in all respects..Your Rega speakers also great..British+US match ..Placement friendly speakers...

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #245 of 298
Very interesting read Chris. I really loved the Golden Lion KT88's paired with the 596's and some Jan Sylvania 6SN7's in the 80. Golden Iion 6922's up front. So far my most dynamic tube combo.

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #246 of 298
Very interesting read Chris. I really loved the Golden Lion KT88's paired with the 596's and some Jan Sylvania 6SN7's in the 80. Golden Iion 6922's up front. So far my most dynamic tube combo.

Glad you got something out of it :) Unfortunately, I haven't rolled enough tubes to be certain I have squeezed all the greatness neither of these amps surely can offer, but I do feel they have different characters. I'd love to see those dual 596 in my Cary, though.. :D

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #247 of 298

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #249 of 298
OK... So the SLI-80 is going in for UPGRADES!!!

Hexfeds, Greyhill Switch V-CAPS and more....Basically it is going in for the Ultimate Edition treatment.

Woot!

Sep 4, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #250 of 298
The Cary has landed! SLI-80 with full Ultimate mods. The bass is incredible!  Now to get some hours on those VCaps.

Hey Look! No more rectifier's!

Rectifier work is done by the four Vishay resistors and a choke.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #252 of 298
Yes, but it is now designated the SLI-80 Ultimate. 

Since I do not have the fancy paint job (There was no way to do that without taking everything out of the case) I feel like I have a stealth Hot Rod. The bass is incredible and the detail is way beyond what it had originally. I am very pleased!

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #253 of 298

Very similar to my favorite flavor of tubes. GL KT88s, JAN 6922s & Sylvania coin-base 6SN7s (some complain about my small tube choices, but they sing to me - obviously, YMMV).

Recapped mine with Clarity coupling caps and they are clearly superior (to my ears) to the oil-bath caps they replaced. They are what I call 'faster' sounding compared to the oil caps. Also replaced all the other caps with new, stock caps (my SLI-80 is 12yr old with many, many hours of run-time). Up graded the PS filter caps with caps that are 50% larger and added film by-pass caps. Installed the HEXFREDs, but only to replace the standard diodes and did not use them to replace the 5UG rectifier tubes, which I prefer.

Am driving a pair of Focal Electra 1008Be 2s and Grado 325s with mine. Is my favorite preamp/amp of all time (have done McIntosh, VTL, Bryston, ARC, etc., etc.) and I've been at this a while (am 69). No piece of gear I've listened to long-term has given me as much pleasure every day. So much so that when I sold my first one I missed it enough to get another several months later. For me, it is a near-perfect match.

Keep thinking about sending mine in for the filament power supply mod, but have not convinced myself to do so. Maybe next fall.

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #254 of 298
FYB-2 you have some great tube choices for your unit. Mine is also about 12 years old and I sent it in last year for the Ultimate upgrade. They showcased 2 amps at RMAF last fall wth some of these mods. Mine no longer has rectifier's. I have Hexfreds doing at job. VCaps and all Kimber wiring and a few other things maxing out what they feel can be done with this design. It is a fantastic unit.

Current tubes are the Golden Lion KT88's and 6922's. I recently added a pair of Northern Electric 6SN7's. Best combo so far for me. It drives my Vandersteen Treo CT's beautifully in Triode mode.

And of course, it looks great with the lights off!

beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #255 of 298
Anybody still running this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back