Cary 300SEI and/or 303/300 Tube Rollers??
Apr 22, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Best combination for me by far was Tung Sol round plates in the preamp/gain position and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7W in the driver spots. I preferred the tall bottle black base over the short bottles and the metal bases, but they all sound great. Tung Sol is a very nice gain tube, and the Sylvania 6SN7W impart some visceral power to the representation that I think the Cary 300SEI sorely needs.

For output tubes, my favorite is the AVVT 300B. Emission Labs have a pleasant, laid back presentation, and TJ/Full Music/Sophia mesh plates are even more laid back and mellow. KR's 300Bs have a "cleaner," more solid-state-like reproduction in the Cary 300SEI. JJ tesla's 300Bs sound different in the Cary depending on when it was made (JJ revised their design several times). EH is a respectable tube for its price, albeit a little grainy and unrefined. Western Electric has incredible mids (no surprise here) but in the 300SEI, you might find the bass lacking.

Apr 23, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
Best combination for me by far was Tung Sol round plates in the preamp/gain position and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7W in the driver spots. I preferred the tall bottle black base over the short bottles and the metal bases, but they all sound great. Tung Sol is a very nice gain tube, and the Sylvania 6SN7W impart some visceral power to the representation that I think the Cary 300SEI sorely needs.

For output tubes, my favorite is the AVVT 300B. Emission Labs have a pleasant, laid back presentation, and TJ/Full Music/Sophia mesh plates are even more laid back and mellow. KR's 300Bs have a "cleaner," more solid-state-like reproduction in the Cary 300SEI. JJ tesla's 300Bs sound different in the Cary depending on when it was made (JJ revised their design several times). EH is a respectable tube for its price, albeit a little grainy and unrefined. Western Electric has incredible mids (no surprise here) but in the 300SEI, you might find the bass lacking.

thanx!

Have you ever tried these? I have a set of three coming next week. I'm really curious.

How 'bout Ken-Rad??

Apr 23, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 4
The Holland Popes are solid performances, but they really don't have any special characteristics about them that make them stand out above other 6SN7s. Kevin Deal has put considerable effort marketing them as something more special then they are. That's not to say they are bad tubes (they are good tubes). I guess what I'm trying to say is they aren't anything special, and I personally don't think they're worth Upscale's high asking price. I compare their sound similiarly to GE 6SN7GTB.

Ken Rads will give you bass in your Cary (they give just about any 6SN7 application more bass). But personally, I found the top end too gritty in my 300SEI, especially when mated with WE 300B (whose top end isn't the best). If you crave more bass, the KR may work for you. But personally, I'd seek Sylvania 6SN7W if you want more bass impact, or RCA VT-231/6SN7GT grey glass if you want more bass fullness/warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back