Cartridge Problem
Dec 5, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a technics SL-B2 with stock tone arm, I replaced the cartridge with a goldring elan cartridge from the music hall 2.1, i couldn't set the tracking force correctly and i think it bent the stylus. What cartridge weights suit the techincs tone arm best? Any advice on what cartridge would be best for technics SL-B2? Will post pics.

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 7
The tracking force doesn't depend on the arm, it depends on the stylus. Read the literature that came with your cartridge. It will have a recommended tracking force. If you don't have the paperwork any more, www.garage-a-records.com might have the info.

See ya
Steve

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 7
i had the weight maxed out (closest to the pivot point) and was still only getting a tf of about 1.4gms... the cartridge recommends 1.7g... Is this because the cartridge weight is low? and i cannot get enough tf from the current weight on the arm... This was a secondary TT, that i had setup for a friend to use, as i just bought myself a MMF 2.1...

Dec 5, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 7
I can resist invoking the old penny trick!

See ya
Steve

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 7
lol, i actually put a platic tip to a mechanical pencil on the headshell and it added the extra .3g, but the stylus is still screwed, so now im looking for a good weighted cart for the arm, without riggin it
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 7
I was talking to a transfer engineer who was telling me about how he transferred some early Pathe hill and dale records of James Reese Europe for CD reissue. I've never been able to play a Pathe myself because the needle keeps jumping out of the groove no matter how hard I track. I asked the engineer how much it cost to get a cartridge that could track Pathes, and he reached in his pocket and jingled his change and said, "About 35 cents!"

See ya
Steve

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, i actually put a platic tip to a mechanical pencil on the headshell and it added the extra .3g, but the stylus is still screwed, so now im looking for a good weighted cart for the arm, without riggin it
tongue.gif

Technics make actual ballast weights for this purpose. Check http://www.kabusa.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back