Career Decision
Mar 1, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
After a long vacation (unemployed for 4 months), I just get 2 jobs offer at the same time. One is work in government as Forecasting Analyst, and the other is work in Bank as Investment Banking (middle office). Actually, I get the bank job by myself. On the other head, my girlfriend help me to get the government and we will work in the same department in the future. THIS is what my gf want, I believe. Since I have to relocate for the government job, so we can get marry next time. If I take the investment banking position, which is in Toronto, then we can not able to get marry in near future.

The starting salary are almost the same. I have more time to focus on my part time study if I work in government. On the other hand, investment banking may have more opportunity to earn more money in the future.

I know, it is non-sense to ask for advice on my career online, but I would like to hear more advice from other people.
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Would you be happy if you took the government job? Or would you just be doing what your gf wants? Don't let anyone else influence such an important decision... if you really want to do the investment banking then go for it. Pick whichever one will make you happy, that's what it's all about.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #3 of 7
The question I would ask myself would be "do I really want to work with the person I spend a vast majority of my time with already?"

I know that for myself the answer to that question is no.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 7
It does first and foremost depend on what you want to do, and I don't think anyone should influence you, not us, not your gf, no one. I bet the voice inside your head has already told you which one to pick.
smily_headphones1.gif

For instance, the other side of the coin of working with an SO, my husband and I work very closely together on his hobby. We work well together, we play off of each other's strengths and weaknesses and it's a lot of fun. There's certain bounderies to it, things you don't "take home" with you, and it's never been an issue. The hobby takes enough of my time so that it's a part-time job. If we could work together full-time, we'd jump at it. We just are very good at it. Certainly not everyone has that work relationship as well.

This woman could be the love your life, and it would be no strike against your relationship if you wouldn't like spending every moment of the day together. However, if you aren't in a fully comitted relationship, and you work together, what happens when it ends?

I think you know the answer already, whichever situation is best for you. There's no official right or wrong answers.

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 7
It has more to do with working besides or close to your current girlfriend that a particular job. There is no way I would want to work close or in the same company with the woman I am involved. Heck call me cold hearted person but 8 hour at work, a couple of hours commuting plus 8 to 12 hours at home. All with the same person? man I would go nuts.

Run while you can.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Are you happy with this woman? Do you want to marry her? Do you enjoy each other's company enough to be around each other 24 hours a day? If not, maybe you shouldn't be considering getting married either. Every couple needs a little time away from each other from time to time, but if you have to have large doses of time apart, it's not likely the relationship will survive. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I'd recommend thinking about this from a long term perspecitive, especially if you're leaning towards the government job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back