care and feeding of etys
Jun 27, 2002 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

onyxdr

New Head-Fier
As I am now the proud owner of a pair of ER-6s
biggrin.gif
, I was wondering about how people care for these 'phones so as to maximize their lifespan. Any tips on cleaning the silicon earplugs? How about storage, since that little plastic case seems a lot of trouble to stuff the 'phones back into every time?

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jopi
I store them in my ears.

lol, that is officially my funniest line of the day
wink.gif

Seriously though... I am keeping mine in their box at the moment Onyxdr... this will probably change over the course of time, but ~ one thing for sure, I won't just leave them on the side, like I do with my other 'phones.

I hope you're liking the 6s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 18
I just toss my 4Bs into the included pouch, and toss em into my drawer with the rest of my headphones and cords and batteries and...

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 18
I put my ER-4S in its included pouch, then toss it in the same case that holds my primarily used PCDP (along with a few CDs, a TAH, and spare AAA batteries).

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 18
I would love to have some sort of hardcase for my 4S, as the pouch is a little small and it is quite some hassle to fill it with all the cable.

A hardcase that has some sort of "click in" spaces for the plugs plus enough room to store the cable would be very nice, especially if it could also be attached to a keychain as the Ety attens. can in their transparent box.

I just want those puppies safe!
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 18
I lost mine, fell out of my pocket I expect. So now I make very sure about where they are. If i am mobile and dont want to use them I tie them around my neck. At least I know where they are.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 18
I stored my 6s in my ears today for several hours, which was fantastic (I've never been able to listen to Thelonius Monk on the subway before and actually hear anything; these 'phones are un-freakin'-believable). But when I got out of the subway on the way home it took me several minutes (I'm not joking) to put them back in their little plastic case. Does anyone make one of those little wheel-things (like cheap earbuds come in -- small circular thing that you can wind the cord up into) that woudl fit Etys? I suspect that the biggest problem would be the shirt clip.

In the meantime I'm more than willing to put up with the hassle for the amazing sound that these things deliver.

Jun 28, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 18
I just keep them in the little green bag they came with. It fits in most of the things I carry a portable rig in. I say most, because it doesn't fit in with my minidisc in its CaseLogic case. I do wish it had a hook or a grommet so I could secure the case to something. It is tiny.

Jun 28, 2002 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 18
I use the plastic box. I wind up the cord on three fingers and it fits nicely back into the box.
Don't take the cover off of the earphone. I did several times and now one of them is torn. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
I can't advise on cleaning of flange tips since I use foam tips.

Jun 30, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for the storage suggestions (I'll have to look into that Altoids tin possibility -- sounds like a good idea). Anyone have any idea how long these silicon tips can go before being replaced? How often do people wash them?

Jun 30, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

How often do people wash them?

After I take my 4P out, I look at them and say to myself "Does this look like something I want in my ear again?" If the answer is "no", then I rinse them with warm water and dry them with kleenex, and let it air dry for 24hrs. I change to a previously cleaned pair of tips right after I take the dirty ones off.

If the answer is "yes", then I put them in the hard plastic case they came with and use them again the next day until the answer is "no".

If I have kept my ears clean, I sometimes go up to three days with the same tips.

Jul 1, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

If I have kept my ears clean, I sometimes go up to three days with the same tips.

I must just have really un-waxy ears or something. I've been using mine for about five days now and they still look pristine. But the idea of having two tips is a good one; I'll have to order some more (only one pair of silicon tips came with my 'phones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back