Cardas replacement for HD650 cable any good ?
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

MooBin

Head-Fier
Just tried the Cardas replacement for my new HD650 (there is only one type I suppose).

Twisting or just touching the cable a little bit firmly (while the cable is well installed and operational, mechanical effect like you would move the cable during normal listening) produced a short-circuit like sound (sound disappeares at times). I thought first this was a bad solder joint in one of the connectors, but the effect is at any place over the whole length of the cable (wherever you slightly bend or twist or strech (a little !). Then I thought of static electricity - but may a headphone connection be so sensible ? Finally, the cable did not sound nearly as good as the HD650 original - which comes with some more sturdy connectors on the headphone side as well. I am well aware that a cable needs break-in - but these effects may not be explained by that alone.

Has anybody have a similar experience ? And...is the Cardas worth the price versus tha original Sennheiser cable ? Maybe my cable is simply broken - although brandnew from the suppplier. This would explain the effects as well as the bad sound.

Any comments are appreciated. I will bring back the cable tomorrow to the dealer and demonstrate the effects. I am seriously thinking of returning the thing once and for all. I would really appreciate any user comments on this case before I finally decide.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #2 of 31
I own a Cardas Sennheiser replacement cable. I used it with my HD650 for the first few months without noticing any sonic artifacts or the sound disappearing when I moved, flexed or twisted the cable. I prefer the Cardas cable on the HD650 to the original HD650 cable by a good margin. The Cardas cable sounds to me like it simply allows more of the sound to reach the HD650, which is why I prefer it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 31
The cardas cable isn't my favorite on the 650. For handling, I prefer the stock 650 cable, and for sound, I like enigma audio's cables. I've heard good things about alex's work as well (apuresound).

The cardas is a good match on the 600, tho.

I will say that cables are the last thing you should worry about. Max out your source and amp before dropping $200+ on a cable.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 31
I own the Cardas Sennheiser cable, too. That operation doesn't sound normal - I'd ask for a refund or replacement from the dealer.

I find mine to be well made and I haven't had any problems. I haven't noticed any difference in sound compared to the stock cable.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just tried the Cardas replacement for my new HD650 (there is only one type I suppose).

Twisting or just touching the cable a little bit firmly (while the cable is well installed and operational, mechanical effect like you would move the cable during normal listening) produced a short-circuit like sound (sound disappeares at times). I thought first this was a bad solder joint in one of the connectors, but the effect is at any place over the whole length of the cable (wherever you slightly bend or twist or strech (a little !). Then I thought of static electricity - but may a headphone connection be so sensible ? Finally, the cable did not sound nearly as good as the HD650 original - which comes with some more sturdy connectors on the headphone side as well. I am well aware that a cable needs break-in - but these effects may not be explained by that alone.

Has anybody have a similar experience ? And...is the Cardas worth the price versus tha original Sennheiser cable ? Maybe my cable is simply broken - although brandnew from the suppplier. This would explain the effects as well as the bad sound.

I haven't heard the Cardas on my HD 650, but liked how other aftermarket cables improved and cleared up the sound, like Zu Mobius, Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Stefan Audio Arts Equinox and Headphile BlackSilver.

As to your bad contact, there's a chance that the connector doesn't have good contact in your headphone amp's jack -- happened to me with the Silver Dragon and some homegrown cables. Cleaning the plug or replacing it if necessary may help. Another possibility is a bad contact of the plugs at the headphone's side. Make sure that they sit tightly in their jacks, if necessary use some contact spray. I'm quite confident that one of these measures will help.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #9 of 31
First of all thanks again to everybody for giving valuable feedbacks. This is the best forum I did participate in so far !

I went back to the dealer to demontrate the effect - and guess what: The disturbances had disappeared. No idea why. May have been a bad connection after all.

So I could not make any point here. I will leave it connected to the HD650 to break it in until my WooAudio 3+ arrives and then I will make a comparison to the original stock cable. Will see if I did waste the CHF 225.-- I paid for it. I can always change back to the stock and use the Cardas for my old HD600 then.

My source of this bedisde-system is a DENON5000 DVD/CD player - considered high-end eqipment at the time it was on the market. However, I practically never used it. Let's see how it performs with the rest (I will use Fastaudio Starline Interconnects I suppose - those cables did perform outstandingly in my big system) but critical may be the DA-converter - mechanically the 5000 is build like a rock. Hope the WooAudio3+ does not hum like my guitar amp - but this should be a very different design.

All the best to all forum members ! May your headhones transfer your mind to audio heaven.
atsmile.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cardas was bit laidback to my liking. I preferred the Headphile Blacksilver or Revelation Audio Cryo Silver.

I wondered about the Revelation cables but I never found one for the Sennheisers.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You still looking for em?

Nah, it won't justify my setup right now. I'd spend that money on equipment first (which reminds me, my new amp should be shipped today).

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wondered about the Revelation cables but I never found one for the Sennheisers.

You can contact Brad of RAL directly but he is not a reliable trader for not sending his product after paid or you have to wait for a VERY VERY LONG TIME. Search some posts around regarding the cases before you make any decision, luckly I got mine months ago in the FS forum from FallenAngel.

Just my 2cents, hope this help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back