Cardas EM5813 : too warm , overhyped?
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
I had an opportunity to have a brief listen to these cardas iem and it sounded as though there was wet blanket covering it. The store owner did not like the cardas as well and discouraged me from buying it. Before that I wondered whether if the cardas iem would follow the house sound of its interconnects which were known as very warm and colored sounding (esp golden cross interconnects but not neutral ref) and yes it really did so.

Later on , however, I have also heard many people like the cardas alot. Is it due to personal preference for warm sound or the iem needs tons of hours to break in?

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the Cardas EM5813 and I let it burn in for 100+ hours before listening to it a lot.  I'm not an expert audiophile, by any means, but I do have quite a few in-ear monitors, including Heir Audio 8.A and Future Sonics mg6pro, as well as JVC FX800 and Audio-Technica CKS1000.
I listen to the Cardas either using my "portable rig", consisting of an iPod nano - CLAS - RSA SR-71b, or my desktop set up with my computer - Musical Fidelity VDAC II - Hifiman EF5.
For me, the Cardas is great.  I've concluded that I love warm, bassy, and spacious sound.  [I listen to orchestral soundtrack music.].  It isn't the fastest or most detailed IEM, but I like the sound signature a lot.
I'm not sure if it sounds different as it burned in or it was my brain burning in, but I enjoy it immensely now.
I'm sure there are quite a few people who wouldn't love the sound signature, but, for my preferences, it's excellent.

May 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 5
I've read in a lot of places (& fusionramjet mentioned it) that they require a fairly lengthy burn-in process. I am currently around half way through.

For my preference I have found the mids to be too high, further exaggerating the high end roll-off they have.

I ordered a set of ear tips made for the Ultimate Ears 900s  (UE900) & have been testing them today. They are only half the height of the Cardas tips & I am noticing a good difference in sound. At first glance they look like they won't fit, but they do with minimal effort.

The UE900 tips don't completely mitigate the exaggerated mids, but they pull it back enough for me that I don't have to EQ anything. It is a much more balanced sound, in a range where the warmth is still bearable.

May 16, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the Cardas EM5813 and I let it burn in for 100+ hours before listening to it a lot.  I'm not an expert audiophile, by any means, but I do have quite a few in-ear monitors, including Heir Audio 8.A and Future Sonics mg6pro, as well as JVC FX800 and Audio-Technica CKS1000.
I listen to the Cardas either using my "portable rig", consisting of an iPod nano - CLAS - RSA SR-71b, or my desktop set up with my computer - Musical Fidelity VDAC II - Hifiman EF5.
For me, the Cardas is great.  I've concluded that I love warm, bassy, and spacious sound.  [I listen to orchestral soundtrack music.].  It isn't the fastest or most detailed IEM, but I like the sound signature a lot.
I'm not sure if it sounds different as it burned in or it was my brain burning in, but I enjoy it immensely now.
I'm sure there are quite a few people who wouldn't love the sound signature, but, for my preferences, it's excellent.

How would you compare these cardas with your other iems? Details, please! ☺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back