Cardas Ear Speakers delayed but worth the wait!
Jan 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #346 of 453
Let us know if you do find your portable rig sounds clearly better than the iphone. I am using an iphone 5s and was thinking of getting an amp, but these are so easy to drive I'm not I would notice much difference? Thanks!

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #347 of 453
I guess I am going to hold off on an amp for now. 

There used to be several audiophile stores in town and now there is one or two.  They have stopped carrying anything but mainstream audio gear.  When I was looking for an IEM they only had the B&W's to show me.  I have B&W floor speakers, but their IEM's are not that great.  They really hurt my ears and have a funky design.  Anyway, since I was in the market for a high end set of IEM's I thought I would go out on a limb with the Cardas.  I have not ready a bad review, except for the cable.  I had Monster Turbine Coppers that had a lot of cable noise as well.  I am prepared for that. 

I have tried everything that Best Buy has to offer and since the Monster Turbines have been discontinued they really do not have anything other than Beats.  We have a Guitar Center here and although they carry Shure and Westone, they do not have any in stock.  They also have no return policy.  I had every intention of purchasing a set of UE 900 from the apple store, but they do not carry then anymore. 

Anyway, I have read over and over about how great the Cards Sound.  So I have a four hour plane flight in two weeks.  I am going to try and burn these for 100 hours before that trip.

What sources are you guys using.  I really like the iPhones because, I do use a lot of music services.  Do any of the high end players offer internet connections to connect to Pandora and such?

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #348 of 453

There used to be several audiophile stores in town and now there is one or two.  They have stopped carrying anything but mainstream audio gear.  When I was looking for an IEM they only had the B&W's to show me.  I have B&W floor speakers, but their IEM's are not that great.  They really hurt my ears and have a funky design.  Anyway, since I was in the market for a high end set of IEM's I thought I would go out on a limb with the Cardas.  I have not ready a bad review, except for the cable.  I had Monster Turbine Coppers that had a lot of cable noise as well.  I am prepared for that. 

I have tried everything that Best Buy has to offer and since the Monster Turbines have been discontinued they really do not have anything other than Beats.  We have a Guitar Center here and although they carry Shure and Westone, they do not have any in stock.  They also have no return policy.  I had every intention of purchasing a set of UE 900 from the apple store, but they do not carry then anymore. 

Anyway, I have read over and over about how great the Cards Sound.  So I have a four hour plane flight in two weeks.  I am going to try and burn these for 100 hours before that trip.

What sources are you guys using.  I really like the iPhones because, I do use a lot of music services.  Do any of the high end players offer internet connections to connect to Pandora and such?

What has the world come to, in the distant future professional audio stores will only carry beats

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #350 of 453
Sure! I won't have time to do a good comparison until this weekend, but I'll post my findings then.

Jan 29, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #351 of 453

What happens if you burn them for 100 hours and are stuck on a 4 hour flight with some IEMs you don't like?

Why not just - radical notion here - listen to them when you get them?

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #352 of 453
I did not say I would not listen to them.  The time frame in between allows me to get 100 hours or so of burn in.  I am not sure if during burn in you are supposed to let them go for long periods without a rest.  I just figured I would let them burn at night while I was sleeping. 8 hours or so a day for 2 weeks plus listen to them at or after work.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #354 of 453
I'm not sure how well they'll do on a flight - I don't find that the provide much isolation.  For best sound I wear them with shallow insertion, which certainly doesn't provide much isolation.  But even with deeper insertion, I don't find them isolating enough to drown out the noise on a flight, at least with the supplied silicon tips.  It could be better with Comply's.

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #357 of 453
I struggled with cable weight and constantly having the seal broke which is very annoying ! I remembered ordering 2 sets of custom mold tips quite some time ago. I was going to use them on smaller nossle IEM's but after they arrived I found Comply tips so I set the customs back and forgot about them. Last weekend I found them and with an exacto knife enlarged the tube ends and fitted them on the Cardas  Ear Speakers now they stay in my ears much better so as a suggestion if you have any such customs or can order them they will keep those monsters in position much better than anything I've used . It was a DYI mold and anything but perfect which is probably why I didn't use them much in the first place I am going to have another go at it to improve the mold because I really feel that will be the answer to keeping a good seal while moving about     

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #359 of 453
My Cardas were supposed to be delivered last Thursday but due to the bad weather in the southeast they were delayed.  I had UPS hold them so I could pick them up at will call.  I finally got them today.  (5 days late)  Anyway, I have been burning them on Audio Sissler for about 4 hours while I finished up with some work and kids.  I have been listening to them for an hour or so.  All is I can say is wow.  They sound awesome.  If they get better than this with time I am very happy.  The one issue I was very nervous about is the cable.  It is heavy, bulky, way overkill for an iem.  It has not been near the problem that I was afraid of so far.  Mine came with a clip that I have been using.  It has eliminated almost all cable noise.  Mine also came with three sets of tips.  I have the blue, white and Comply's.  I have not experimented with all of the tips yet but I am so used to the feel of the Comply's.  That is what I started with and they sounded so good I just left them.  I think the isolation will be just fine for a plane ride with the Complys in.  I think I got better isolation front he Monster Turbine's Coppers but they did not sound as good as these after  six months.  I did like their sound though.  I am anxious to see what the next couple weeks of listening brings out in these.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back