Cardas cable upgrade for hd600s...worth it?
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ColtMrFire

1000+ Head-Fier
Have had my 600s for a few days and it just gets better every day, especially now that I've started using the amarras sound program to drive the audioengine D1 amp for the 600s....

I've went ahead and ordered the 650 upgrade cables because I heard they give the 600s a bit more punch to the bass, which is what I like.  But I've been hearing good things about the cardas cable...I see one on ebay for $155...that is alot of money for a freaking cable upgrade.  Is it worth it?

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Have had my 600s for a few days and it just gets better every day, especially now that I've started using the amarras sound program to drive the audioengine D1 amp for the 600s....

I've went ahead and ordered the 650 upgrade cables because I heard they give the 600s a bit more punch to the bass, which is what I like.  But I've been hearing good things about the cardas cable...I see one on ebay for $155...that is alot of money for a freaking cable upgrade.  Is it worth it?

Heya,

Not worth it at all to me. I have custom cables on all my permanent headphones. Doesn't change how they sound. Just changes termination, look, functionality, etc. And change from the cable is micro or extremely subtle. Tyll at innerfilelity recently tried to measure all the popular cables on an HD650 and literally found no measurable difference, even though he believes he hears differences, so he's trying to find a better way to do the measurements. But end of the day, your ears are the judge. As someone who buys expensive custom cables for his headphones, I attest that it makes no noticeable sonic difference for me. I do it for the customization and convenience of going balanced and having a sheathed cable that is braided and of the length I desire. Sonically, it sounds like the stock cable, to me.

Very best,

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Not worth it at all to me. I have custom cables on all my permanent headphones. Doesn't change how they sound. Just changes termination, look, functionality, etc. And change from the cable is micro or extremely subtle. Tyll at innerfilelity recently tried to measure all the popular cables on an HD650 and literally found no measurable difference, even though he believes he hears differences, so he's trying to find a better way to do the measurements. But end of the day, your ears are the judge. As someone who buys expensive custom cables for his headphones, I attest that it makes no noticeable sonic difference for me. I do it for the customization and convenience of going balanced and having a sheathed cable that is braided and of the length I desire. Sonically, it sounds like the stock cable, to me.

Very best,

Thanks for the response.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

I have similar thoughts too but regarding burn-in.

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 7
While I'm waiting for my 650 cables I went ahead and did a foam mod...but only removed the inner ear foams. So far I am almost regretting it as they sound almost uncomfortably immediate and much too bright...and I think some of the bass is suffering...I might put them back.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Heya,

Very best,

honest opinion.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 7
As Malveaux said, the boutique cables can be hard to justify when their cost is equal or slightly more than the actual headphones cost.   If one lets this hobby get out of control, that's where one can end up.   I do like custom cables for the stated reason (length, terminations, etc.) but I also feel that a custom cable can tend to open up or relieve some congestion in the sound.  I'm not talking a mega-buck cable either.  Just $35.00 or so in proper supplies and you can create almost any type of cable for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back