Cardas cable upgrade...Can I do this?
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
I plan on purchasing my 3rd pair of HD25's in the near future. (I stupidly sold my first two pair) After reading about the steel cable, and spending some time with a pair (on loan), I've decided that my first upgrade would be to the cable. I am a fan of the Cardas sound, but I cannot bring myself to pay $150 for this.
0050310004_608.jpg

My question is can I do this myself? I never soldered before. And I assume it would cost considerably less if I did. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks in advance.

PS. And if anyone wants to make me one, I'd be willing to pay for your time and soldering expertise.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Cardas plugs are proprietary, so you cant DIY it.
Its possible to assemble a similar cable, but when it comes down to it, you'll spend almost the same amount as a fully assembled cardas cable, at worse the performance, due to the senn connector portion.

Save yourself the grief and get a manufactured version.

If I wanted a cardas senn cable Id just buy one rather than make one myself. I'd end up spending almost as much trying to build it myself. plus it would have less resale value and no have the cardas logo or connectors. Id say DIY Cardas senn cables would not be very rewarding.

if you are a contributor I think the 10% discount would apply on headroom

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi Michael,
I think there may be a misunderstanding, I believe I should clarify what I meant.

Cardas senn connectors are plastic molded around the pins. These connectors are done by Cardas.

If you were to go the route of DIY, you would need to modify existing senn connectors. That of which would make the cable disimilar to the Cardas.

You would pay someone for labor and DIY to create a cardas cable, but with different senn connectors. IMO chances are soldering directly to the pins of the modified connector will require more measures such as cutting it open, filling it with epoxy and so on. Even if you go the route of modifying an existing connector to create a cardas senn cable clone, the original will still be superior becuase its plastic molded with no modification.

So I believe all the work of attempting a Cardas clone, is not worthwhile for the money and labor involved in trying to copy it from a diy standpoint. Just my opinion.

Its cheaper to DIY the 4' cardas senn cable then the 10' one however. So if you really are on a tight budget, you can always go route of DIY.
When you start at the 10' DIY thats when the costs of DIY pretty much almost match the manufactured version. So there is still hope.

If you shop around and do some phone calls, theres probably ways of getting a 4' manufacturered cardas cable for less then $150.
The choice is up to you.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Myo is correct re a custom cable.
But, as an owner of HD25's I've found it satisfactory to replace the "orig. issue" cables with Senn. copper-cored cables. Shall we assume you are talking about HD25-1, which means you are dealing with unequal length leads. That mandates you use cables intended for Senn. HD25-13. Since you are presumably in Brooklyn, that means, presently you are out of luck in getting them from SennheiserUSA (they also say they cannot order it for you [?]). I have that cable coming to me from http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel...81cb6be45352da. (there is a minimum order of 25Euros, so search thru the website for something additional. The cable is 3meters and has 6.3mm plug - so after getting it you could send it to Myo or Drew (MoonAudio) for shortening to 1.5m with miniplug. You could also use the residual piece (if you have need/use for the 6.3 plug) by having them add a mini-female connector to the cut end - ergo an extension cable..........also consider, re your idea of a truly custom cable - the significant additional weight and stiffness.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Bushguy,

You da man. Thanks. I am going to order this and I am going to buy a soldering iron. I'll give it a shot.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 11
I've been much debating as to what to replace my HD25s with, I was looking at the Equniox who offer the money back garuntee and have a lot of good reviews, but last I looked it was an 8-9 week wait (plus considerably higher price). My main concern was that all these cables advertised for the HD580, HD600 & HD650 would fit consdiering what appears to be a slightly different connector.

Can anyone pls confirm for me that yes, the Cardas Senn upgrade cable would fit a pair HD25s?

& who'd be the best Cardas dealer for someone living in the South Pacific (New Zealand)? (that's if someone has had any experience already
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Many thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back