Cardas cable questions
Mar 31, 2006 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RTilbury

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am wondering how flexible the Cardas sennheiser cable is compared to others. I want a very flexible cable as I like to move around. I really would like to try the cardas with my HD650s. Any information would be great. Or if anyone is wanted to sell theirs please pm me.

Thanks

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 20
Hi.
The cardas cable has a smoother sound, it's more detailed and faster than the original HD650 cable. It's also a bit bulky when compared to some others. The sound is brighter, leaner, and very different from the dark sound associated with the HD650. The voices of violins tend to sound a bit off/distorted when compared to it though, and i personally didn't like it's performance with classical music-despite it having a better range.
The Equionx cable has the same sound sig as the stock cable: only improved, more refined, and controlled. the bass is excellent. the upper mids sound amazing, their clarity and thickness is especially noted on the Equinox. The treble is also a bit clearer/more defined than the stock.
Blue Dragon: this cable has excellent resolution, more than the Equinox and far far more than the Stock. It is flexible, but sometimes subject to motion noise. The sound sig is dark, and similar to the Equinox. The sound is very deep, wide and balenced. THe frequency response actually levels down quite a bit on the HD650 using this cable: the highs are very present and the bass is controlled.
Silver Dragon- it's suppose to have the highest resolution. It's bright sounding. some, in the past, have expressed quality issues with this cable. It's suppose to be the best dynamic range.
Zu- Havn't heard it, but it's suppose to be bright and much more alive than other cables.
Edit: and yes, sometimes I find myself dancing to my music. the cable is flexible enough for that (blue dragon).

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
Hi.
The cardas cable has a smoother sound, it's more detailed and faster than the original HD650 cable. It's also a bit bulky when compared to some others. The sound is brighter, leaner, and very different from the dark sound associated with the HD650. The voices of violins tend to sound a bit off/distorted when compared to it though, and i personally didn't like it's performance with classical music-despite it having a better range.
The Equionx cable has the same sound sig as the stock cable: only improved, more refined, and controlled. the bass is excellent. the upper mids sound amazing, their clarity and thickness is especially noted on the Equinox. The treble is also a bit clearer/more defined than the stock.
Blue Dragon: this cable has excellent resolution, more than the Equinox and far far more than the Stock. It is flexible, but sometimes subject to motion noise. The sound sig is dark, and similar to the Equinox. The sound is very deep, wide and balenced. THe frequency response actually levels down quite a bit on the HD650 using this cable: the highs are very present and the bass is controlled.
Silver Dragon- it's suppose to have the highest resolution. It's bright sounding. some, in the past, have expressed quality issues with this cable. It's suppose to be the best dynamic range.
Zu- Havn't heard it, but it's suppose to be bright and much more alive than other cables.
Edit: and yes, sometimes I find myself dancing to my music. the cable is flexible enough for that (blue dragon).

Can't agree more on those descriptions

The zu is the grainyer cable , upfront , biting hard attach open sound higly revealing cable. Not for all .
You can enjoy higly a Zu only if the system is set for it , if it's not the Zu ( and the SD ) might be overkill and kill the pleasure.

The Cardas is the gentlelyzer , very different sounding from original , bit bright good detail lean bass attention shift to mid-high region / highs
Particularly good for enjoying strings quartet and acoustical in general

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 20
The Cardas is very flexible
biggrin.gif
That was what the original poster was asking for correct?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I've had Zu and Equinox as well. The Zu is stiff and microphonic, the Equinox is better but the cord kinks up and "egg-shapes" a lot. The Cardas has a smooth jacket that doesn't kink up or egg-shape and is non-microphonic, so from a useability standpoint its the winner in my book

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 20
I wouldn't define the Cardas very flexible really .
Maybe the Headphile is the most flexible afterm. , second only to the original hd650 craple ehm... cable.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I wouldn't define the Cardas very flexible really .
Maybe the Headphile is the most flexible afterm. , second only to the original hd650 craple ehm... cable.

Compared to the stiff Zu and egg-shaped Equinox the Cardas is by-far much more flexible in part to its lack of techflex and its smooth jacket that doesn't kink up or snag on objects.

And what exactly is "craple ehm" ?
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 20
hd650 craple
..ehm crap cable

yes, the Cardas is more flexible then others , but not very flexible ( .. where the Zu is more near unflexible really for me .. )

I don't have it any more with me , in my mind is flexible but kind of hard , whereas the Headphile cable is flexible and soft ( and looks kind of less cheap too )

but I want to discourage you buy the Cardas, there's more appealing things out at the moment , Rnb audio and other diyers here are doing better things imo .

The Ohelback cable is a nice upgrade , worth more then the 50$ is sold for , from the original craple. But you have to dive in the fs forum to hunt one as Meier Audio doesn't sell it anymore.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 20
I cant imagine that the cardas is that terrible... I can agree that there are better cables out there, but I wouldnt want the zu or equinox because of all the people that say they are stiff. The silver dragon sounds imo way too bright. And although RnB and other people are making cables, I would really have a hard time justifying more than 200 dollars for a 10 foot cable.

To me the cardas has great build quality, using their own connectors that bypass the splicing that others use.The flexible part really is important, and although you guys say the cardas isnt the most flexible, it seems to be agreed upon that it is on the top.

And I get mixed feelings about the sound of the cardas. Some say it is warm(a lot of prof. reviewers have said this), and some say it is bright. What is the deal with this? If it is bright, i hope it will round out the warm hd650s.

Also I thought I would try and get the cardas before the price raise. I was told cardas was raising the price to 185.00 now for the 10 foot. And I called my local dealer yesterday and indeed that was their new price.

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 20
I like the Blue dragon much more: it makes the sound of the HD650 sound characteristic of the can yet it makes it more neutral. The cardas cable on the other hand absolutely changes the sound (professional reviews aside-since they tend to over hype moderately good products). with the cardas cable the HD650 most resembles an ATH like sound, it's leaner -the warmthness they spoke about may have to do with the transitions of insturments and vocals of the cardas-but in my opinion it doesn't sound like what an orchestra is suppose to sound like. now if classical isn't your taste, then the cardas might actually be a great performer.
also the blue dragon (and silver) doesn't splice from the HD650 cable, it actually uses cardas connectors, but DIY's the able itself.

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
with the cardas cable the HD650 most resembles an ATH like sound, it's leaner

*yes , quite nails it

it's a cable who removes bit less the veil then others , also , and that make the stage significantly more upfront-defined then others !( instead of sidewide and widespread )*

Who said I had to shut up and let others talk ?
ah , it was me
:X
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 20
Well, I do listen to about 5% classical music... I think that the HD650 sounds a bit too warm. My setup is generally on the warm side to begin with. Which I like! But to me the 580s sounded a bit more natural. So maybe the cardas will be something I will like?

But anyway, I purchased the Cardas yesterday and they are already on their way. I hope I will like them.

Can anyone post the retail prices of the various cables? I am having a hard time getting all the information.

I will also post back with my findings on the cardas. My setup is a Arcam cd72t and portal panache integrated. Cardas powercord and MIT power cord.

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 20
blue dragon: 150 for five feet,
Equinox: 220
cardas: 150ish
Silver dragon: 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Back