Carbon Fiber for casing?
Jun 17, 2005 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jjcapurro

500+ Head-Fier
I'm pondering putting together an amp at some point reasonably soon, and got to thinking... Carbon fiber looks really cool. People put carbon fiber hoods on their cars, but I've never seen a carbon fiber audio component case. I found a site that explains how to make it & it seems fairly easy to do... so I'm just curious if anyone has experience with this, or if you know of any commercially available carbon fiber cases.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 9
you like it, do it.

its your amp and your box.

jsut be sure that your amp design dosnt need heat disipation.

carbon fibre bonnet is guaranteed to add at least 11.2Kw to your amp. (car joke) 11.2Kw is about 15Hp....

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I have some RC cars that are carbon fiber.... stuff is HARD as HELL to cut. It eats through tooling and drillbits. its also a semi-conductor. I found that out the hard way. Charge up some cells the afternoon before a race, place the cells in the cars... by evening race time, the cells are warm to the touch and fully discharged.

Not impossible, but certianly some things to consider when you plan out your build.

It would look stunning though IMHO.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah I have some RC cars that are carbon fiber.... stuff is HARD as HELL to cut.

Not only that but the dust from cutting carbon fiber can be quite dangerous.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
carbon fibre bonnet is guaranteed to add at least 11.2Kw to your amp. (car joke) 11.2Kw is about 15Hp....

Wha? I thought the stuff that does that are Type-R stickers.
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab
Wha? I thought the stuff that does that are Type-R stickers.
biggrin.gif

lol. Don't forget about the fart cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back