CAR STEREOS?
Jul 4, 2001 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

blastoff

Head-Fier
my first post here(was on headwize,)

With the recent postings of many members headphone system pictures, it seems that most people here(correct me if i'm wrong) have a pretty nice speaker setup to go along with their headphone one.
This brought me to wonder, What do you guy's have in your car stereo? Stock sytem, premium stock system, custom(if so, what is it?, or any other.

-thanks for all the replies in advance
-blastoff

Jul 4, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 26
Maybe a poll would be more appropriate...

I have an old 1990 Nissan Stanza with its stock system... the drivers look like they are detiorating, dust all over - yet they sound much better than a lot of things... in fact, I am quite impressed with them for being car speakers, as they HAVE midrange and are fairly balanced... though they distort at mid to high volumes. They sound far better than my parent's Camry's sound system (way too much bass, no mids and highs) and my friend's Acura's (one word: Bose).

How sad, a car ten years old has a better sound system than 2000 models...

Never thought it would be worth it in upgrading my car's stereo though... I have headphones to trouble me with
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 26
I just have the stock system in my '89 Ford Thunderbird. Well, I did replace the in-dash cassette player w/ a cheap Aiwa cd deck, but that's it. It only has to last me one more year, then I'll get a new car, rip out the stock system and put in something pretty good. Still nowhere near headphone-good, but good.

Jul 4, 2001 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 26
i have the stock system in my POS 89 ford aerostar. It has 5 inch speakers in the front and thats it. They dont go below about 80hz I would estimate. Pretty much everything about them is bad. Matter of fact, everything about this car is bad.

Jul 4, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 26
Hmmmm... I asked a similar question on headwize a while ago, got a few responses, mostly saying they had stock systems I believe. I spend enough time in my car everyday that I really wanted something that sounded good, and aside from having stock tweeters that HURT (SO bright, like having grado's up there for tweeters, hehe), it sounds pretty good. I've got an Alpine cdp, which is really pretty nice. Then I've got all polk dx (or ex, whichever is the nicer line) speakers, and 2 pold 10" subs. Now, don't call me a dum--bass
smily_headphones1.gif

I have them turned way down. I don't use the tone controls on my headunit (it's sounds really balanced, more than I expected at least), and I've got the subs turned down to level 5 out of 15 on the headunit. So basically it adds a nice low end without getting boomy or overwhelming.

I'm not happy with the sound because of the tweeters, but I'm too cheap to replace them til they die. I mean grado's for tweeter ain't all bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 26
I spend a lot of time in my car as well, so I put in an Alpine receiver with an Alpine 6 disc changer in the trunk. Then I have 4 JBL 6 inch speakers. Nothing dramatic, but it works for me and my 97 Maxima.

Jul 4, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 26
I don't spend as much time in my car as I used to. I have a '99 Intrigue, and it has one of those Bose stereo packages. Though better than most stock car stereos I've heard (which certainly isn't saying much), the fairly large low-mid-bass accentuation makes for a rather boomy presentation. The motto for my car's bass control is crank it down!

For pop music, it sounds okay. For everything else, the bass control is halfway between the middle setting and totally cranked left.

As a result of its musical shortcomings, AM talk radio is usually what can be heard coming from my car stereo.

Jul 4, 2001 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Since my dad and I are so into our music and we share a car we decided to each pay half for a half decent stereo in our 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix. We got a low end (not bottom end though) Sony Xplod cd player, and Kenwood 4x10" rear speakers. I don't find it too bad but recently as my judgment of sound quality is improving, the whole exhaust system on the Grand Prix is deteriorating badly so it's a lot harder to hear the stereo. :)

My moms car, a 98 Plymouth Breeze has the factory system with only a tapedeck, that has really loud boomy bass. I have to crank the treble all the way up and the bass almost all the way down. Then the treble gets really bright and harsh. Don't think theres any midrange and the highs are rough. My friends think its a decent stereo because it'll play bass really loud without distorting but I think it sucks.

Jul 4, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 26
i don't drive, and i don't havve a car, but i just helpd my friend install a stereo system into his maxima. he's got some mbquart speakers a sony ES head unit and i kenwood amp of some sort. for the cash that he paid, i think it sucks. but it's supposed to be pretty good. i guess i'm spoiled by my headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2001 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 26
Interesting.

You learn something new everyday. I was just getting used to my kids using the term "heck-a".
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back