car-fi
Jun 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,051 of 1,421
Quote:
This, absolutely! It's a smokescreen to make consumers feel they're being more environmentally conscious. Want a car that has a smaller "carbon footprint" and saves money at the pump? Buy a diesel.

KERS technology looks great, but it'll take years for that to filter down to regular consumer models.

Yeah, legislated environmental protections are often not very well thought out. Remember the ethanol biofuel movement that ended up wasting food and starving some parts of the country? Many of my engineering projects in school have had an emphasis on environmental impact, and what I've found is that there are so many factors to consider simultaneously. Diesels are not favored in the U.S. because of the high NOx emissions they cause, but they consume less fuel due to the higher compression ratios and produce fewer unburnt hydrocarbons and CO emissions. The law, unfortunately, doesn't take that into account.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #1,052 of 1,421
That's why, IMO, the future will be diesel + KERS hybrids, large-scale battery usage in vehicles is unsustainable without introducing future environmental disaster. VW/Audi has already built a sedan that gets 100mpg, and makes 450bhp w/ 700 lb/ft of torque, all while weighing only 2500lbs. Expect to see it as an A4 option by 2016.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #1,053 of 1,421
Quote:
That's why, IMO, the future will be diesel + KERS hybrids, large-scale battery usage in vehicles is unsustainable without introducing future environmental disaster. VW/Audi has already built a sedan that gets 100mpg, and makes 450bhp w/ 700 lb/ft of torque, all while weighing only 2500lbs. Expect to see it as an A4 option by 2016.

That sounds absolutely amazing!  Wow! 

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,054 of 1,421
Quote:

But isn't diesel fuel a bit hard to come by as compared to conventional? Sorry I'm a total noob. However, I have been saving up for my next car. Been thinking about BMW 1,3 series and various hybrids.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,055 of 1,421
But isn't diesel fuel a bit hard to come by as compared to conventional? Sorry I'm a total noob. However, I have been saving up for my next car. Been thinking about BMW 1,3 series and various hybrids.

These days diesel fuel is available at 90% of gas stations, even in the US. 100% in Europe.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,057 of 1,421
Anyone have any long term experience with the following cars? Ford Mustang (2011 and onwards), Infiniti G sedan or coupe (2008 onwards) or Nissan Maxima (2010 onwards)

And by long term i mean a lot of mileage or more than a year.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,058 of 1,421
Quote:
Anyone have any long term experience with the following cars? Ford Mustang (2011 and onwards), Infiniti G sedan or coupe (2008 onwards) or Nissan Maxima (2010 onwards)

And by long term i mean a lot of mileage or more than a year.

I have owned my 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan since March of 2010.  It has been a joy from the start.  I'm at 43,600 miles and haven't encountered the first problem.  At the time, Infiniti ranked 4th on Consumer Reports's reliability ratings, and, apart from being a joy to drive, it is certainly living up to its billing with respect to being low-maintenance.  I have a 7-year/100K warranty, but I doubt that I'll even need it.  

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #1,059 of 1,421
Bought a project rallycross car: 1992 Subaru SVX.
Techncially my only car as I ride my bike everywhere.  I haven't owned a car for three years ^ ^;  Not because I can't afford it, I just feel better riding my bike, which also saves me money to do random things like this, vacations, or buy headphones haha.

Since it has a clean title, +96K miles, new tires, timing belt, everything works, and was friggin cheap ($1,200), I think dropping a few thousand into making it fresh is a good way to occupy my summer to the rest of the year or more.  I'm doing all of the maintenance myself for what I know how to do and have the tools for.  Body work will come last as it only has door dings, fist size dent in rear, and cracking paint in the corners.

I have my first rallycross next weekend.  I just want to run it in it's current state to see how it does.
Since the car is heavy (3,525lbs), I'm mostly focusing on weight reduction as much as I can before I have to pay for lighter parts (lighter rims, battery, seat, etc?).  I've already taken out most of the rear interior and working my way forward.  I've been weighing everything so far, and I've gotten the car down to roughly 3,380lbs, but there's more to go!  My goal is to get it closer to 3,000lbs.  I'll be racing without bumpers if I have to!

Within the next month I'll have new slotted rotors, brakes, pads, transmission fluid cooler.  In a few months, I'll start working on the suspension, roll cage, looking for a new transmission, better radiator, and lastly more power.  I won't be adding much power really because I think the V6 230Hp, 228ft/lbs is good enough if the car was only lighter, but some basic things like air intake, exhaust, ported intake/exhaust manifolds.  I'd be happy with +250HP.

I'll be running in the modified class, so I can do almost anything...anything except moving the radiator to the rear if I read that correctly, which is sad because the weight distribution is front 59/rear 41, which is not that great.  I'll be getting a lighter battery and moving it to the rear at least.  Will be removing the AC also, since I can survive without it.

I know I could have bought an old Subaru Impreza for a few thousand, but eh, I thought it would be too boring and underpowered.  Why not work on a rare car? :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,060 of 1,421
I have owned my 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan since March of 2010.  It has been a joy from the start.  I'm at 43,600 miles and haven't encountered the first problem.  At the time, Infiniti ranked 4th on Consumer Reports's reliability ratings, and, apart from being a joy to drive, it is certainly living up to its billing with respect to being low-maintenance.  I have a 7-year/100K warranty, but I doubt that I'll even need it.  

That's good to know, thanks for the info. I've wanted an Infiniti for quite some time now.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,061 of 1,421
Techncially my only car as I ride my bike everywhere.  I haven't owned a car for three years ^ ^;  Not because I can't afford it, I just feel better riding my bike, which also saves me money to do random things like this, vacations, or buy headphones haha.

Since it has a clean title, +96K miles, new tires, timing belt, everything works, and was friggin cheap ($1,200), I think dropping a few thousand into making it fresh is a good way to occupy my summer to the rest of the year or more.  I'm doing all of the maintenance myself for what I know how to do and have the tools for.  Body work will come last as it only has door dings, fist size dent in rear, and cracking paint in the corners.

I have my first rallycross next weekend.  I just want to run it in it's current state to see how it does.
Since the car is heavy (3,525lbs), I'm mostly focusing on weight reduction as much as I can before I have to pay for lighter parts (lighter rims, battery, seat, etc?).  I've already taken out most of the rear interior and working my way forward.  I've been weighing everything so far, and I've gotten the car down to roughly 3,380lbs, but there's more to go!  My goal is to get it closer to 3,000lbs.  I'll be racing without bumpers if I have to!

Within the next month I'll have new slotted rotors, brakes, pads, transmission fluid cooler.  In a few months, I'll start working on the suspension, roll cage, looking for a new transmission, better radiator, and lastly more power.  I won't be adding much power really because I think the V6 230Hp, 228ft/lbs is good enough if the car was only lighter, but some basic things like air intake, exhaust, ported intake/exhaust manifolds.  I'd be happy with +250HP.

I'll be running in the modified class, so I can do almost anything...anything except moving the radiator to the rear if I read that correctly, which is sad because the weight distribution is front 59/rear 41, which is not that great.  I'll be getting a lighter battery and moving it to the rear at least.  Will be removing the AC also, since I can survive without it.

I know I could have bought an old Subaru Impreza for a few thousand, but eh, I thought it would be too boring and underpowered.  Why not work on a rare car? :)

Cool project, good to see someone getting their hands dirty around here! I'll make a post about my most recently acquired project after I finish some serious suspension work up in the next week or so.

Maybe look into taking the cat (or cats) out if it is legal in your state. They weigh a lot! If you are really serious, you can lose some weight by stripping all of the protective (and insulation) coatings off of the car as well (undercoating and on the interior floor if so equipped [maybe not on a subie!]).

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #1,062 of 1,421
Quote:
Cool project, good to see someone getting their hands dirty around here! I'll make a post about my most recently acquired project after I finish some serious suspension work up in the next week or so.

Maybe look into taking the cat (or cats) out if it is legal in your state. They weigh a lot! If you are really serious, you can lose some weight by stripping all of the protective (and insulation) coatings off of the car as well (undercoating and on the interior floor if so equipped [maybe not on a subie!]).

Kool ty.
I currently live in the very green state of Oregon, so removing the cat is not possible.
Also today I attempted to change the spark plugs but didn't have the proper extension(s) to fit in such a tight space.  This is my first Subaru, so I'm not used to seeing the spark plugs on the side.  At first I wondered what they were thinking when they designed the engine bay.

That gap is how much room you have to work with to fit a socket+extension in there.  Then as you go left, you see the gap gets smaller!
Decided to take out the airbox, battery, coolant reservoir, and wiper fluid tank.  Tried to get it done before sunset, but no go.

After I finish the spark plugs, I'll clean the engine bay.  Today I just got around to using some compressed air in there.
Also I took out the passenger seat and it weighed a shocking 49lbs!  That means the driver side is heavier because of the electronic motor.  I plan to get a used racing seat sometime soon.  If I did my math correctly, the car now weighs about 3,330lbs.  I'm in the thinking process about what I'm going to do about the dash.  I have to keep it in for now.  Once I have a roll cage, I can fabricate a lighter more compact one out of fiberglass.

I forgot to mention earlier that I bought spare OEM SVX rims+used tires off of Craigslist for $40.  Now that the passenger seat is out, I can fit all four inside.

Well anyways, my first race is this weekend 88miles away.  Turns out that they allow you to camp overnight there!  Registration is at 8am....so I might head over there when I get off of work and stay there for the weekend. That means I have to shower in a Walmart restroom for a few days... >___>

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #1,063 of 1,421
Quote:
I'll be getting a lighter battery and moving it to the rear at least.

Very cool project car, I always thought they were unique but have never really seen anyone do anything with them. As for the battery, check into making a capacitor battery. A guy at my work just made one and it is pretty light weight.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #1,065 of 1,421

Most service stations here have diesel now, and it's spreading fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back