capacitors
Mar 19, 2007 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
Where can I buy 5.0uf capacitors that are good/cheap?

I can't find any that are priced well anywhere...

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 16
Film caps?

What are your concepts of "good" wrt performance & price? what voltage?

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Film caps?

What are your concepts of "good" wrt performance & price? what voltage?

rolleyes.gif

http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 16
Mar 20, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What size? A 5µF film/foil cap is going to be large and maybe expensive. Metalized film, like the Solen isn't as big.
Angela sells something very similar to the Solens at Parts Express.

I have 5uf 100v *shielded (shielding removable) polycarbonates that are only 23*21*15mm. interested parties are welcome to buy a couple off me, but i only have something like 30 of them. they are NOS from god knows when. They are Electrocube 5MC29.

I also have 4.7uf 63v metalized polyesters that are wafer-thin and, well, sound better than electrolytics in speaker crossovers.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find this one a lot more interesting:

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html

Actually, I prefer Dsavitsk's, hands down (http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html). The statment in the reference above,"What sounds the best? That's up to you." and the fact that no brand names/models are mentioned, renders it pretty much useless except as an academic exercise.

In Dsavitsk's case, we have to accept his own opinions, but at least that's a starting point. Buy a single brand and a type that he tested, then you have a baseline with which to compare all the other ones he did, too.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I prefer Dsavitsk's, hands down (http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html). The statment in the reference above,"What sounds the best? That's up to you." and the fact that no brand names/models are mentioned, renders it pretty much useless except as an academic exercise.

Me on the other hand, I refuse to accept the results of any listening test performend in a manner which can be discussed on this forum
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras
http://www.ecp.cc/cap-notes.html

Thank you for this, this has really helped me understand things more clearly.

These will be used as input caps on a cmoy style amp.

Pars - I can use a 5.1uf cap when the design calls for a 5.0uf cap?

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 16
For an input cap, yes you can use 5.1µF instead of 5.0µF.

If this is a CMOY with all other values unchanged, 5µF is overkill. Try a .47µF or even .33µF polypropylene film cap. One choice that won't break the bank is a SBE 716P or 715P. Mouser carries the 715Ps. You can get the 716Ps from Angela or Tubesandmore.com.

If you are trying to keep the amp small, try a metalized polypropylene box cap like a .33µF Wima MKP2.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Honestly, I think you should keep things in context when going audiophile on components. Pick a polyester cheapie for your cmoy; the entire amp design is likely to have more of an effect on the sound than a single component, and I think you shouldn't even bother with much more than the opamp for the cmoy.

Either way, 5uF is overkill for a coupling cap. Which CMOY design/tutorial/guide says you need a 5uF cap?

Sorry, I know I'm probably implying that you should empty out your wallet even more, but I'm just saving you resources for down the road =D I went a bit overboard with the caps/resistors/etc on one of my first CMOYs, and I haven't touched it at all after building other amps.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pars - I can use a 5.1uf cap when the design calls for a 5.0uf cap?

if you are making a "mahagony cmoy" then they areguably should be a set of solens, whcih can be gotten fairly cheaply from a few sources.

slightly smaller (there is a 4.7uf auricap that only costs a bit more, and only sounds a milion times better) will work in that design, you can arguably go as low as 1uf, but 2uf is a better goal.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are making a "mahagony cmoy" then they areguably should be a set of solens, whcih can be gotten fairly cheaply from a few sources.
slightly smaller (there is a 4.7uf auricap that only costs a bit more, and only sounds a milion times better) will work in that design, you can arguably go as low as 1uf, but 2uf is a better goal.

exact, I replace caps of my original RA-1 by a Auricaps 4.7, at least psychologically the sound it improved
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back