Can't make my final decision! First headphones ~150 dollar.
Oct 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

lowko

New Head-Fier
Dear Head Fi community,

I've made a thread before and got loads of good tips for quality headphones. Thanks a lot for that! But I still can't make up my mind.

What I'm looking for:
- Quality sound (obviously, I listen mostly to jazz/trance/classic rock/relaxing music);
- Comfortable (I will wear them 5+ hours daily)
- Max budget of 150 dollars.

Right now I'm aiming mostly towards the HD 598's. Those seem awesome, but I've heard people complain that they're not really good for electronic music, but sound amazing for the other two genres I listed (classic rock and jazz).

Does anyone have some final input before I actually purchase the HD598s? Is the bass 'good enough' for the occasional trance/hip-hop? I broadcast. I listen to music quite loudly while talking into a microphone a few inches from my face. Will a HD598 leaking intervere with the sound?

Thanks a lot and have an awesome day!

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 26
The 598's are very nice package (good sound, very comfy, built well), however if you are broadcasting and worried about sound leakage you may want to consider some closed cans. If you play your music loudly through the 598's you will get considerable sound leakage. Have you looked at the Vmoda M80? Or DT770?

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 26
well the HD598 looks right for you,it would sound very nice with its excelent midrange and expansive soundstage. just that if you liisten to music any louder than medium volume your music will start to leak and it can be audible in a quiet place

also i don't think Vmoda m80 will have such a good perdormance, the bass is punchier but it is not nearly as good in the mids and soundstage and also the M80 has more harsh treble than the HD598

the DT 770 is a decent option too, soundstage is okay, the bass hits a little harder, but the mids a re slightly recessed. would sound better on trance and electro, but the rest of jazz and older songs probably sound better on the HD598

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 26
The Brainwavz HM5 would be a very good option IMO. Very neutral but is closed. It may not have the same soundstage as the open 598s, but I think the bass is there alot more then the 598s. They would world better in loader areas. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:
@streetdragon, i agree that the soundstage is not huge but i disagree with the rest of your description of the M80's sound. I've had them for a while and to my ears they are a mid-centered headphone with a mid bass hump and a slightly shelved treble. One of the most unfatiguing headphones i've heard, that's why i kept them.

alright sure i take back my statement, afterall you have far more expereince with them than me
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 26
hey streetdragon, i actually think you were right if you were comparing the M80 to the 598 sound. I think the Senn's are a better sounding headphone, but for a good all-rounder that doesn't leak sound it's hard to go past the M80.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:
hey streetdragon, i actually think you were right if you were comparing the M80 to the 598 sound. I think the Senn's are a better sounding headphone, but for a good all-rounder that doesn't leak sound it's hard to go past the M80.
smily_headphones1.gif

well personally i have had only a 30 seconds audition of the M80 at a meet, so therefore my stand on the M80 maybe be kind of shakey 
redface.gif

so yeah at home the HD598 would do better, but if isolation and build is nessaary then the M80 would do good
tongue.gif

hmm i wonder how bad the sound leak would affect him though, since the only flaw of his plan is the leak getting into his mic.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 26
hey lowko, one of the more popular headphone's used by broadcasters is the Senn HD25 1 II. The Beyer DT1350 is in the same style as is the vmoda M80. I've had all three, and to my ears the DT1350 has the most balanced sound, the M80 is darker (very nice for trance), and the HD25 sounded a bit bright and edgy to me- i kept the first two.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 26
situation is a little different for me though, i cant use credit cards or buy anything online. but i do have a headphone shop within walking distance (~3km) 
headphones available there are in their website  
so i can try the headphones there 
biggrin.gif
 (and bought myself the sennheiser after several trips and considerations)
pricing here is 50% more than the US MSRP counterparts though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back