Can't get a seal with the HF2 (but I can with the ER6i and ER-4)
Jul 4, 2011 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

calipilot227

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having a really weird problem with the HF2. I simply cannot get it to seal in my ear canal. This would seem like a common problem...except that I can get a perfect seal every time with the ER6i and ER-4P. Is there a specific strategy for inserting these things that's different from the ER-4 and ER6i? I am using the triple flange tips on all 3.

I did try the foamies (felt like sandpaper) and the glider eartips (which didn't seal at all).

Anyone have an idea what's going on here? 
confused.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 12
O_o i always use small Shure olives to just insert them in without compressing the foam. If you are using Tri, just stick em in? idk why you cant get a fit

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
O_o i always use small Shure olives to just insert them in without compressing the foam. If you are using Tri, just stick em in? idk why you cant get a fit

I'm starting to think it may have something to do with the strain relief on the HF2 (it's different than the ER-4). It seems like I can't push them in deep enough because of it. I'll keep trying... I just thought all Etys would be the same in terms of fit.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Interesting issue...I find that the ER4Ps and HF2s  with the triple flanges fit/seal exactly the same for me. Perhaps you could try switching the ER4P flanges to the HF2s and see if it makes a difference??

FWIW, I recently upgraded to the ACS custom tips on my HF2s and am a VERY happy camper...not cheap, but definitely a way to get a "perfect" seal for YOUR ear canals.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Interesting issue...I find that the ER4Ps and HF2s  with the triple flanges fit/seal exactly the same for me. Perhaps you could try switching the ER4P flanges to the HF2s and see if it makes a difference??

FWIW, I recently upgraded to the ACS custom tips on my HF2s and am a VERY happy camper...not cheap, but definitely a way to get a "perfect" seal for YOUR ear canals.

I am actually using tips from the ER-4 because the included triflanges were creased in the package (quality control fail). I may end up going the custom route eventually, but I will naturally have to get custom tips for the ER-4 as well 
etysmile.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Update: Using the foam tips for now, but I would really like to be able to use the triflange so I don't have to keep buying foamies.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 12
If you've got big ear channels - cut the highest part of Triflange Eartips
If you've got small ear channels - cut the lowest part of Triflange Eartips
Also try Sony Hybrid Eartips. They are good on the thin noses of earphones when they are new.
The best variants are Shure Olives & Shure Foams.

Jul 4, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Update: Using the foam tips for now, but I would really like to be able to use the triflange so I don't have to keep buying foamies.

I had a similar problem (also came from the er4p/er6i > hf2). I couldn't get a good seal with the large grey triple flanges wearing them cable down. The strain relief was getting in the way, and the way my ear canal is shaped, I have to kind of angle the tips up for a good seal.

So...

I tried wearing them cable up --which worked -- but was kind of akward with the placement of the mic hitting your cheek.

so..

I tried pushing the triple flange tips somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the stem (i.e. not all the way) . That gave me a better insertion depth yet still held the tip on securily.

Maybe this will work for you?
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I had a similar problem (also came from the er4p/er6i > hf2). I couldn't get a good seal with the large grey triple flanges wearing them cable down. The strain relief was getting in the way, and the way my ear canal is shaped, I have to kind of angle the tips up for a good seal.

So...

I tried wearing them cable up --which worked -- but was kind of akward with the placement of the mic hitting your cheek.

so..

I tried pushing the triple flange tips somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down the stem (i.e. not all the way) . That gave me a better insertion depth yet still held the tip on securily.

Maybe this will work for you?
biggrin.gif

Interesting. I'll try it out with a pair of tweezers handy in case it pops off and gets stuck in my ear 
eek.gif
 It happened to me a few times with the ER6i (old worn-out tips).

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 12
I took a pair of Westone Tri-flanges (I think they're the same as the Shure tri-flanges), trimmed half of the stem (it's really long), and put them on the HF2s. They stay on securely and I can get a good seal! I think it's too late to cancel my order for the Shure olives, so I'll try them also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back