can't decide...
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jnyan

New Head-Fier
Awhile ago i asked this forum what to get for my first pair of cans, and I was recommended to get a pair of Denon D1001, but I recently figured out that I have more cash than I originally thought I did.
My source is a 3rd gen iPod nano, and the cans would be for home usage so I would need a closed pair. I don't have an amp right now, but if I needed to I could easily go out and get one. I mostly listen to mix of alternative and rock, and I have a budget of ~$200 (preferably less than that).
I was thinking about getting the ATH-55 or maybe the ES7s.

I am open to ideas, so long as they don't dig too deep into my wallet.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 16
What about maintaining the Denon and getting some DAC/AMP like the HotAudio HotUSB1, in case you don't have one yet?

Like I have said in some other threads, this is exactly what I'm going to do (my thread).
wink.gif

I might be wrong, but I'm not sure you'll benefit that much getting some other headphone around the 150-200 dollars range, and staying unamped (out of a bare iPod)... and remember the Denons are considered to have a fantastic price/performance ratio.
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume your "3rd gen iPod nano" has a good enough DAC. So I suggest the D1001 for ~$81 shipped with an amp that's within your budget. Check the amp forum.

Oh yeah and I forgot to say this above, just in case you don't know: you can't plug an USB DAC/amp in the iPod.
tongue.gif

But these would be great to get rid of a PC onboard sound or some crappy soundcard.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Alright, so what amp should i be looking into? Vitor mentioned the HotUSB1, is there something else I should be considering?

And yes, I do realize that there isn't much of a difference between amps<$100

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jnyan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, so what amp should i be looking into? Vitor mentioned the HotUSB1, is there something else I should be considering?

And yes, I do realize that there isn't much of a difference between amps<$100

The HotUSB1 connects by USB to a PC and it's more of a DAC than an amp, so it won't be of use to you. From my experience and FWIR, there is an appreciable difference between sub $100 amps. I suggest posting in the amp forum for suggestions. If forced to not research this further, I would buy from PenguinAmp.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Machado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah and I forgot to say this above, just in case you don't know: you can't plug an USB DAC/amp in the iPod.
tongue.gif

But these would be great to get rid of a PC onboard sound or some crappy soundcard.
wink.gif

Huh? Yes you can. The Corda 2Move is a USB DAC/amp. The important bit is the "/amp."

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Yes you can. The Corda 2Move is a USB DAC/amp. The important bit is the "/amp."

So the ipod can connect to a USB DAC/amp; that's pretty cool. I question how well that ipod would drive the D1001. But as you posted in another thread, if the D1001 doesn't benefit all that much from amping, what's the point? I thought I've read posts about the D1001 benefiting from amping. And given that ipod's DAC was OK, a headphone/amp combo seems best. What do you think?

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 16
Clarification time.

1. The D1001s do benefit from amping; at least, they sound better to me from my 2Move. However, they don't get any goodness from the Fiio E3, and I don't know how well the other cheap amps will work too.
2. The D1001s sound great without an amp, even out of an iPod (a Touch gen. 1, in my case).

So, given the added cost and bulkiness of an amp, I'd not recommend getting an amp just for the D1001s. Is that better?

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Clarification time.

1. The D1001s do benefit from amping; at least, they sound better to me from my 2Move. However, they don't get any goodness from the Fiio E3, and I don't know how well the other cheap amps will work too.
2. The D1001s sound great without an amp, even out of an iPod (a Touch gen. 1, in my case).

So, given the added cost and bulkiness of an amp, I'd not recommend getting an amp just for the D1001s. Is that better?

I agree about the Fiio E3/D1001. FWIR, the gen 3 does not amp as well as the gen 1 ipod. And so, since it's within budget, I suggest getting an appropriate amp with the D1001 (they're small).

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Alright thanks for the help everyone, I have decided to follow 1Time's advice and buy from penguin amps. Hopefully this will work for me, and if not then at least I will know what not to get
biggrin.gif

Thanks again for guiding this newbie to the right direction

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

No wait, I think there's some confusion here.

iPod can identify an USB DAC?! Really? Does the iPod even have an USB entrance?
confused_face(1).gif

I believe Corda 2Move allows you to plug the amp part in analog, then you can use it on the iPod, but do not assume that every USB DAC/amp allows you to do that, for example HotUSB1 doesn't. You HAVE to use it from USB.
wink.gif

And about benefiting from an amp:
In my case, since I'll be using the cans from the PC and I have onboard sound, I'll get the DAC/amp to get rid of RF. noise, but from a portable player it might not be needed really...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back