Can't decide what to get!
Dec 23, 2008 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Athens

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm shopping for a pair of headphones for my sister and I'm stuck. It would be for use with an iPod (main), computer (second) so it seems some portability. I was thinking closed cans that don't require an amp with a budget between $100-140 shipped. She's no audiophile; listens to hiphop/trance mainly. Wish I could find the DT770 PROs (even though they don't look very portable) for under $150, but that doesn't seem possible. I'm using the $70 to $150 section of the buyer's guide as a starting point.

Options so far I'll list here: Sennheiser HD280, Audio Technica A700, AKG K272.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're going closed then I'd agree on the Senn's
If you want to look at some open cans then I would suggest Grados

The only thing is, it would probably be best to go to a local audio store and let her listen to them. When it comes down to it, everyone's ears are different and so are their tastes.

Hope this helped even a little bit.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Not audiophile, hip hop and trace? Get the D1001 for her, cheap, comfortable, far better than its price. Either that or the ES7, most people will like it cause it's shiny. Or if you want to be a cheapskate get the K81/K518.

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 12
Just a caution to NOT buy the HD280pro. What an awful headphone, through and through! Defective by design, horrible comfort, amazingly dull sound...

Would she be opposed to little IEM's?
You can pick up something like the Head-Direct RE2 for under 100$, and they sound really nice for an IEM. They also will work great out of an ipod and are ultra portable. No amping needed. They will also sound nice out of a little home setup.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 12
+1 for the denon ahd1001

Those are great cans that perform well with a little bump in bass from a fiio (although the bass is already quite good, I just like bass). Also, the cans isolate well enough, are easy enough for an ipod to drive, and are lightweight and comfortable for portable use.

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Thank you everyone for the responses.
atsmile.gif

sugrhigh - unfortunately there are no stores in the area where I can audition headphones with her

scytheavatar - +1 for the denons

compuryan - hmmm...have to look into that

Towert7 - I was under the impression that there is a large difference between IEMs and cans both in the same pricerange and in general? I have E2Cs and am not overly impressed with the sound. Will look into though!

1Time - Those Q40 look rather nice...would the E5 amp compliment similar headphones just as well as the Q40?

Moocher - hmm...

thatwunguy - guess that answers my question about the fiio amp

Dec 24, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Athens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Towert7 - I was under the impression that there is a large difference between IEMs and cans both in the same pricerange and in general? I have E2Cs and am not overly impressed with the sound. Will look into though!

That's what I thought too, until I tried the RE2. Great bang for the buck, any of the head-direct RE series. I would seriously try it. It probably will change your mind for how a IEM can sound. I actually prefered my RE2 to the Shure SE530.

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, I went with the Denons and the E5 amp, although I am going to look into some of these suggestions for myself at a later date. Thank you everyone and happy holidays!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Athens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1Time - Those Q40 look rather nice...would the E5 amp compliment similar headphones just as well as the Q40?

FWIR...

Not necessarily. I read more negs than positives regarding the D1001 + E3, and more positives than negs regarding the Q40 + E3/E5. If buying the D1001, I would recable before passing judgment on how well it works with a Fiio amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back