Cant decide on headphones
Oct 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 26
Hi everyone:

Hoping you could help me as well. I am having trouble choosing between the denon ah-d600s and the d400 urban ravers. The d600s are more expensive but, for their price, the urban ravers seem a lot better. Does anyone here have any input or maybe even other good cans in that price range?

I currently have a pair of old Harmon kardons and Sony MDR1Rs but I'm always trying to find better cans in that same price range.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #17 of 26
  Hello, I'm looking to get a quality pair of over-ear headphones for gaming and general music listening. I've decided on a few headphones, but I just don't know which is the best. I'm not much of a fps gamer but id like to have that surround sound, I also want that Imax feel for full game emersion, and I listen to a lot of rap and other kind of music. I'm not much of an audiophile at all I just want my music to sound good, and even though I want a good sound stage i'm not willing to throw away music quality. Here are the headphones I've thought about getting. If you have comments about the headphones or you know a certain pair is better than another please share. With each headphone ill share what I know and problems have, feel free to contradict me.  

ath-ad700x - I know they are great for gaming but they lack for music plus I cant leave my house with them. 
ath-ad900x - Better for music, still cant ware them outside, not Made for the Bassy music I listen to
akg Q701 - Great for gaming, great for music, cant ware outside, is an amp or dedicated soundcard necessary?  
HD 598 - Mediocre for gaming, great for music, cant ware outside, is an amp or dedicated soundcard necessary?   
Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 - Same as above, but can I use these with my phone?
ath-a900 - Great for gaming, Great for music, not made for bass, can ware outside. 
ath-m50 - Fine for gaming, good for music, can ware outside
Creative aurvana live - good for gaming, good for music, can ware outside
Creative aurvana live 2 - Good for gaming, good for music, can ware outside, stylish, best all around in my opinion.

I realize the price gap but is spending 50-100 dollars extra necessary? Does it really make a huge difference? I don't think ill be able to notice the sound difference I just want music to sound good. 

Feel free to make recommendations or comment on any of the headphones listed.

Thank You 

I'm not aware the HD598 is 'mediocre' for gaming. It has a beautiful soundstage, very wide, very engaging sound.

As a matter of fact I would recommend the 598. If you come from crap, you'll absolutely appreciate the sound and the big soundstage. And also you can drive it with your phone.

You'd probably need an amp for the Q701 and the 990 has a sound that's not for everybody. The 598 (or 558) is just a good recommendation for people in your situation. And I'm by no means a sennheiser fanboy, just fyi.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 26

I'm not aware the HD598 is 'mediocre' for gaming. It has a beautiful soundstage, very wide, very engaging sound.

As a matter of fact I would recommend the 598. If you come from crap, you'll absolutely appreciate the sound and the big soundstage. And also you can drive it with your phone.

You'd probably need an amp for the Q701 and the 990 has a sound that's not for everybody. The 598 (or 558) is just a good recommendation for people in your situation. And I'm by no means a sennheiser fanboy, just fyi.

Thank you for your recommendation, can you please expand on why the 900's have a sound not for everybody? and how do yo think both will sound for bassy rap music? Will it be good enough and nothing to complain about? or will it sound horrible? i'm not a bass head so I don't care if I can feel the bass, I just don't want it to sound bad. I'm a real Noob when it comes to this so i'm sorry if I sound stupid, i've never listened to any headphones over 50 bucks so I really have no idea about anything.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 26
  Thank you for your recommendation, can you please expand on why the 900's have a sound not for everybody? and how do yo think both will sound for bassy rap music? Will it be good enough and nothing to complain about? or will it sound horrible? I'm not a bass head so I don't care if I can feel the bass, I just don't want it to sound bad. I'm a real Noob when it comes to this so I'm sorry if I sound stupid, I've never listened to any headphones over 50 bucks so I really have no idea about anything.

The Beyer DT990 are full bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
So the recessed mids would not be popular with someone that likes strong vocals.
The DT990s have a loud bass, but there are headphones that offer a more quality bass, some might really prefer the quality bass.
Also there are a lot of good sounding low impedance (25-Ohm to 60-Ohm) headphone that work well without a headphone amplifier, where as you really have to use a decent headphone amplifier, with the DT90s.

Sep 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #20 of 26
I wish i could find a nice closed pair of headphones similar to the ath a900x that are a bit cheaper. My ath a900x just broke the sound is cutting in and out, and i need a replacement.

Sep 19, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #23 of 26
is the 80ohm ok or would i need the 250

I have a sound blaster z sound card

The dt770 80ohm are great. They can be had on amazon for under 130.00

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 26
  will they work good with my sound blaster z sound card, and are they similar to my old ath a900x ?

Dt770 will probably have more bazz than the a900x. I have not heard the 900x but that is what i am seeing from other users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back