Cant decide on headphones
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stevendom

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm looking to get a quality pair of over-ear headphones for gaming and general music listening. I've decided on a few headphones, but I just don't know which is the best. I'm not much of a fps gamer but id like to have that surround sound, I also want that Imax feel for full game emersion, and I listen to a lot of rap and other kind of music. I'm not much of an audiophile at all I just want my music to sound good, and even though I want a good sound stage i'm not willing to throw away music quality. Here are the headphones I've thought about getting. If you have comments about the headphones or you know a certain pair is better than another please share. With each headphone ill share what I know and problems have, feel free to contradict me.  

ath-ad700x - I know they are great for gaming but they lack for music plus I cant leave my house with them. 
ath-ad900x - Better for music, still cant ware them outside, not Made for the Bassy music I listen to
akg Q701 - Great for gaming, great for music, cant ware outside, is an amp or dedicated soundcard necessary?  
HD 598 - Mediocre for gaming, great for music, cant ware outside, is an amp or dedicated soundcard necessary?   
Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 - Same as above, but can I use these with my phone?
ath-a900 - Great for gaming, Great for music, not made for bass, can ware outside. 
ath-m50 - Fine for gaming, good for music, can ware outside
Creative aurvana live - good for gaming, good for music, can ware outside
Creative aurvana live 2 - Good for gaming, good for music, can ware outside, stylish, best all around in my opinion.

I realize the price gap but is spending 50-100 dollars extra necessary? Does it really make a huge difference? I don't think ill be able to notice the sound difference I just want music to sound good. 

Feel free to make recommendations or comment on any of the headphones listed.

Thank You 

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 26
What is your budget? or budget range?
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
assuming these headphones are for home use and on the move?

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 26
  What is your budget? or budget range?
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
assuming these headphones are for home use and on the move?

I have to be under 200 dollars, but I don't want to pay that much if I don't have to. I have an extremely crappy gaming headset I use for all my music right now so any improvement is an improvement. I will use them mostly on my PC which has an Asus z97 a motherboard. I'd also like the possibility of using them outside of my home on my phone ( I probably won't leave my house often, but id like the option if it's there). I'm not completely ruling out open headphones, I will take them if they are that much better.  

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 26
  I have to be under 200 dollars, but I don't want to pay that much if I don't have to. I have an extremely crappy gaming headset I use for all my music right now so any improvement is an improvement. I will use them mostly on my PC which has an Asus z97 a motherboard. I'd also like the possibility of using them outside of my home on my phone ( I probably won't leave my house often, but id like the option if it's there). I'm not completely ruling out open headphones, I will take them if they are that much better.  

Takstar Pro 80s are only about $80.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 26
  what are their strengths and weaknesses? are they better than the ath-m50s?

I would rate them to be at least equal to the M50s for general sound quality, but the Pro 80 cost less.
The M50 might have a slightly louder bass.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 26
  What about sound stage? I'm guessing both headphones lack.

I think the Pro 80 offer better sound stage.
The HyperX Cloud and Qpad QH-90 are Takstar Pro 80s with a mic attached, so far I have not seen negative feedback from gamers who bought them.

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 26

I think the Pro 80 offer better sound stage.
The HyperX Cloud and Qpad QH-90 are Takstar Pro 80s with a mic attached, so far I have not seen negative feedback from gamers who bought them.

Well at that price i may be able to get a open headphone too, so what is your opinion on the best open back headphones.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 26
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 26
  Well I see you have an ath-a900x and hd558 how do the compare? how do each of them sound for bassy rap music, and how do they perform for gaming?  Do they offer that IMax full immersion feel? which one is better?

I use to use the A900X a lot more then the HD558s, the A900X have more "life" to their sound, the HD558s can come off a little distant(?).
(I upgraded to the ATH-W1000Xs)
I think FPS gamers would be happy enough with either (A900X/HD558) headphone.
I do not consider the HD558 to lack bass, but it's more like just enough bass to be called decent, more of a hear the bass, then feel the bass.
To me the HD558 make good jack of all trades for just about anything.
The A900X is more the music headphone, then the HD558s and the A900X seem to do well with just about anything you want to do with them.
I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads, helps hold the A900Xs in place, as stock they wear somewhat on the lose side (which is good if you like headphones with a light feel on and around the head).

I would think the ATH-AD900X would be a little preferred over the A900X/HD558.
The AD900X being open should offer a little better use for FPS gaming, but still have a lot of the musical qualities of the closed A900X.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 26

I use to use the A900X a lot more then the HD558s, the A900X have more "life" to their sound, the HD558s can come off a little distant(?).
(I upgraded to the ATH-W1000Xs)
I think FPS gamers would be happy enough with either (A900X/HD558) headphone.
I do not consider the HD558 to lack bass, but it's more like just enough bass to be called decent, more of a hear the bass, then feel the bass.
To me the HD558 make good jack of all trades for just about anything.
The A900X is more the music headphone, then the HD558s and the A900X seem to do well with just about anything you want to do with them.
I added the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads, helps hold the A900Xs in place, as stock they wear somewhat on the lose side (which is good if you like headphones with a light feel on and around the head).

I would think the ATH-AD900X would be a little preferred over the A900X/HD558.
The AD900X being open should offer a little better use for FPS gaming, but still have a lot of the musical qualities of the closed A900X.

Do you think an amp would greatly influence my all around sound quality? Like I said i'm not very picky when it comes to sound quality so do you think it matters? What amp fo you use?

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 26
  Do you think an amp would greatly influence my all around sound quality? Like I said I'm not very picky when it comes to sound quality so do you think it matters? What amp do you use?

Currently I'm using the Audio-GD NFB-15.32, was $298 ($255+$43 for shipping), comes from Hong Kong.
A $27 FiiO E6 could drive most of the headphones on your list.
With AKG Q701 or DT990 Pro headphones, you would want something with a little more power then the E6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back