Can't Decide New at This
May 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tothemax

New Head-Fier
I am considering purchasing either a pair of ATH-M50, or ATH- AD700. I understand that M-50 have a closed back,and the
AD-700 are open. I have not had the chance to listen to either one. I have just read the reviews. I also plan on purchasing the Audioquest Dragonfly dac. I listen to rock, folk, and jazz.
Any advice would be helpful.

May 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Personally if you're going to spend around $350~ overall I'd suggest instead of buying a $100~ headphone and a $250 dac to spending $250~ on headphones and $100~ on an amp. And if you're really into audio technica then I would suggest the ath-ad900x, price is good with them right now, rakuten and buydig has them for $200.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 7

jackwess

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
Since you haven't stated a budget, the HD598 + the Dragonfly. 

May 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 7

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
My sr80i plays those genres well. Better at the non mainstream genres than the m50 and mdr 7506 imo.

The ath m50 has a mild v shape curve is easy to like. The bass and highs are emphasized, pushing the midrange back a little. This isnt good for jazz and rock IMO, as they rely on the midrange.

The mdr v6 is pretty much flat, but it does have a very very small v-shaped curve. The bass is pretty flat, but is emphasized very little, and the upper midrange and highs/treble are emphasized. The lower mids seem a little left out though, and the... I don't know how to explain this... Impact of the voices isn't felt very strongly. I just eq the lower mids up. In addition, the bass is veeeeeery tight, and much tighter than Sony's newer can, the mdr 1r.

Grados (sr80i) are hard to explain. The bass is a little recessed, and the mids and highs are subsequently emphasized. They're bright sounding, yet not fatiguing. You won't have any problem with the sound except the lack of bass for more modern genres.

All are nice, but id stray away from the m50 for your preferences.

You should also consider (for more money)(ma900 is the only one I have):
MDR MA900
ATH AD900x
HD555,558,598
SR225i

May 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 7

Magiv9

Head-Fier
If I remember correctly, the sound stage of the ath headphones are humongous when I was auditioning my first pair of headphones.

I walked out with the HD598s :)
And if your dead set on the 2 headphones you listed, I'd say the ad700 because closed headphones are fatiguing and won't give you a sense of relief.

Or....
Just get the better headphone without the dragonfly?
You might just be satisfied with what you hear already and there's no need for a dac/amp.

May 26, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 7

tothemax

New Head-Fier
Quote:
My sr80i plays those genres well. Better at the non mainstream genres than the m50 and mdr 7506 imo.

The ath m50 has a mild v shape curve is easy to like. The bass and highs are emphasized, pushing the midrange back a little. This isnt good for jazz and rock IMO, as they rely on the midrange.

The mdr v6 is pretty much flat, but it does have a very very small v-shaped curve. The bass is pretty flat, but is emphasized very little, and the upper midrange and highs/treble are emphasized. The lower mids seem a little left out though, and the... I don't know how to explain this... Impact of the voices isn't felt very strongly. I just eq the lower mids up. In addition, the bass is veeeeeery tight, and much tighter than Sony's newer can, the mdr 1r.

Grados (sr80i) are hard to explain. The bass is a little recessed, and the mids and highs are subsequently emphasized. They're bright sounding, yet not fatiguing. You won't have any problem with the sound except the lack of bass for more modern genres.

All are nice, but id stray away from the m50 for your preferences.

You should also consider (for more money)(ma900 is the only one I have):
MDR MA900
ATH AD900x
HD555,558,598
SR225i

I that I will consider the ATH- A900X. I like the closed back, because the bass will be a little tighter. I think, thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread