Can't decide between Samsung's yp-p2 and Sony's 818
Dec 23, 2007 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

elvis_presley

Head-Fier
I got my wife the Cowon D2 which is a really great device, however, I just can't get it to sound just right to my ears .... My wife loves it and I think the UI, conversion software, video quality, etc is absolutely perfect ...

The sound quality to me however, is very colored and not what I'm looking for in my portable.

I looked at the clix2 but absolutely hate the design ... iTouch - I HATE itunes, I hanestly don't know how people use it.

I use both windows and linux so ideally the PMP I choose should have UMS compatibility (drag & drop).

So based on reviews, I got down to the P2 and the 818.

Whatever I choose will be used with the Denon ah-c700k which is on amazon for only $99US, sweet!

I was just about to go with the 818, when I saw the coming attachment for the P2 that gives wifi and sd card expansion ... That seems unbelieveably good.

Sound quality is very important though and I'm worried about the p2 being described as having 'boomy bass'. I want extreme portability, so an external amp is unlikely to ever be utilized.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvis_presley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my wife the Cowon D2 which is a really great device, however, I just can't get it to sound just right to my ears .... My wife loves it and I think the UI, conversion software, video quality, etc is absolutely perfect ...

The sound quality to me however, is very colored and not what I'm looking for in my portable.

I looked at the clix2 but absolutely hate the design ... iTouch - I HATE itunes, I hanestly don't know how people use it.

I use both windows and linux so ideally the PMP I choose should have UMS compatibility (drag & drop).

Whatever I choose will be used with the Denon ah-c700k which is on amazon for only $99US, sweet!

I was just about to go with the 818, when I saw the coming attachment for the P2 that gives wifi and sd card expansion ... That seems unbelieveably good.

Sound quality is very important though and I'm worried about the p2 being described as having 'boomy bass'. I want extreme portability, so an external amp is unlikely to ever be utilized.

What is it you're looking for? Please provide it in point form?

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

I

If there's a Circuit City near you, take your IEM's with you and audition both units. The Circuit City near me carries both Sony and Samsung, and usually has demo models out, though they get trashed sometimes. The catch, though, is that you won't be able to compare the same recording across both units, but you'll be able to get a basic feel for the sound signature.

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 23
if its similar to my old Sony NW-HD5, were talking about a deep warm sound with a nice bass, i love it, i havent heard the samsung, but most people affirm that the sony sounds a bit better,

theres also the loading of music to consider, the samsung requires windows XP or vista for MTP transfare, while the sony is drag and drop, meaning it will play nice with both linux and mac,

both have proprietary cables which will be hard/expencive to replace if they break or get lost,

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Samsung P2 and I own the Sony 616...I had both at the same time and the Sony sounds much better.

X2, except I have the 818.

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by grommal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's a Circuit City near you, take your IEM's with you and audition both units. The Circuit City near me carries both Sony and Samsung, and usually has demo models out, though they get trashed sometimes. The catch, though, is that you won't be able to compare the same recording across both units, but you'll be able to get a basic feel for the sound signature.

I'm afraid I'm in Trinidad and there's no such thing as a Circuit City or demo units here
redface.gif

I'm ordering 'blind' on amazon, hence my need for recommendations ...

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Samsung P2 and I own the Sony 616...I had both at the same time and the Sony sounds much better.

Well if it sounds much better I'll have to go with the Sony then ... Anything like an FM transmitter that I can use with the Sony?

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is it you're looking for? Please provide it in point form?

#1 Sound quality is a priority, an equalizer of some from is mandatory
#2 Expandability would be nice (SD card)
#3 The ability to browse to the device to load music / movies without having to go through a proprietary application is a must
#4 I want video playback, so it should be easy to do video conversion and it should play stutter free
#5 Additional bells and whistles would be nice but not absolutely necessary

Dec 24, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

#1 Sound quality is a priority, an equalizer of some from is mandatory
#2 Expandability would be nice (SD card)
#3 The ability to browse to the device to load music / movies without having to go through a proprietary application is a must
#4 I want video playback, so it should be easy to do video conversion and it should play stutter free
#5 Additional bells and whistles would be nice but not absolutely necessary

I've got both of these well the P2 and the A808.

1- Sound quality, Sony beats the P2! Both have customizable EQ's, However I am growing on the P2's sound now. DNSe exists with presets from rock to dance etc and the user setting. Sony you have a few presets and 2 customizale EQ's. I find the bass on the Sony better than the P2. Sony sounds far clearer. Again this will depend on the headphones your using.

2- Both can't expand, 8gb versions are the highest memory for both. However there was a video for the P2 with a external cradle which fits to the player and adds wifi along with SD support. Could be a user made vid no official word yet from Samsung.

3- P2 you can use both MTP and UMS depending on which fw you use. A808 is atrac requires SS, however a818 drag and drop device.

4 - Both devices you have to convert vids, P2 a much better video device with the larger widescreen. Vids look lovely after converting, formats right now include WMV and SVI (Samsungs AVI container). Converting videos for both players is a breeze.

5 - Sonys A serie just a mp3/video player. No other functions really. P2 has radio, 1st Bluewave just got released this allows the p2 to connect to your phone and use the phone functions via its built-in bluetooth, you can answer and recieve calls on the P2. Other features the P2 has - Radio, Address Book, Calender, World Clock, Dictionary (on the Korean fw) with 2 more bluewave updates to come Samsung will add many more features such as games etc, and the 3rd bluewave they will implement user suggestions...

To be honest the P2 is my main player now, although the sound is better on the Sony just functionalities of the P2 are brilliant and has become my main player. It is a touchscreen device, GUI does need improving and hopefully Samsung will work on this.

Dec 24, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by p2A810wner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got both of these well the P2 and the A808.

1- Sound quality, Sony beats the P2! Both have customizable EQ's, However I am growing on the P2's sound now. DNSe exists with presets from rock to dance etc and the user setting. Sony you have a few presets and 2 customizale EQ's. I find the bass on the Sony better than the P2. Sony sounds far clearer. Again this will depend on the headphones your using.

2- Both can't expand, 8gb versions are the highest memory for both. However there was a video for the P2 with a external cradle which fits to the player and adds wifi along with SD support. Could be a user made vid no official word yet from Samsung.

3- P2 you can use both MTP and UMS depending on which fw you use. A808 is atrac requires SS, however a818 drag and drop device.

4 - Both devices you have to convert vids, P2 a much better video device with the larger widescreen. Vids look lovely after converting, formats right now include WMV and SVI (Samsungs AVI container). Converting videos for both players is a breeze.

5 - Sonys A serie just a mp3/video player. No other functions really. P2 has radio, 1st Bluewave just got released this allows the p2 to connect to your phone and use the phone functions via its built-in bluetooth, you can answer and recieve calls on the P2. Other features the P2 has - Radio, Address Book, Calender, World Clock, Dictionary (on the Korean fw) with 2 more bluewave updates to come Samsung will add many more features such as games etc, and the 3rd bluewave they will implement user suggestions...

To be honest the P2 is my main player now, although the sound is better on the Sony just functionalities of the P2 are brilliant and has become my main player. It is a touchscreen device, GUI does need improving and hopefully Samsung will work on this.

thankyou for the explicit and thorough review. it seems alot of people love the sound quality of the Sony. I went by curcuit city and although i enjoyed the sound quality of the Sony, i think the player is a ripoff. Tiny screen, absolutely no features and the price! are they serious. If they expect to bribe loyal apple consumers they need to make a clearly better player than the nano or classic. this is clearly not the case. the a series is done in a year or 2 at the most. anyways i like the trekstor sound signature better then the sony a series. the only reason i didn't keep that dap is the horrible scroll wheel.

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by genax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thankyou for the explicit and thorough review. it seems alot of people love the sound quality of the Sony. I went by curcuit city and although i enjoyed the sound quality of the Sony, i think the player is a ripoff. Tiny screen, absolutely no features and the price! are they serious. If they expect to bribe loyal apple consumers they need to make a clearly better player than the nano or classic. this is clearly not the case. the a series is done in a year or 2 at the most. anyways i like the trekstor sound signature better then the sony a series. the only reason i didn't keep that dap is the horrible scroll wheel.

Hi, genax what serves as your PMP these days?

More confused than ever now lol tending back to the Yp-p2 ...
confused.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 23
As for bells and whistles, if you want FM, the Sony NWZ-S618 has it, while the 818 does not. I have the 4GB version of the 6xx series myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back