Cant decide between iHP-120 and Dell DJ
May 22, 2004 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wctkdman

New Head-Fier
I've done some reading and can't really decide between the two, now that there is essentially no price difference between them (if I get the DJ, I'll get the FM remote with it). I am just wondering what the rest of you think about this. I have 17 gigs of mp3's, wavs, etc., so that is somewhat of a factor to keep in mind. They are already organized by folders, and about 3/4 of the tags are completely there (I haven't gotten around to tagging a bit of them), but I probably won't put all of them on there. I am just wondering what would be the best one to get overall...I heard that the joystick on the iriver can be a pain...is it really that bad as to avoid purchasing it?

I am also going to (most likely) purchase Senn HD-555's to go along with them, will it be able to power them properly?

May 22, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 8
well, if ur going 2 get an amp, u mite want 2 avoid the dell, as it has no line-out. other than that, i find it to be an excellent player. its so easy to use with just about no learning curve. its easy to navigate with the scroll wheel, and to me, sounds just fine. it doesnt have many advanced features however, such as fm recording and all the other options u get with the ihp. its a no frills kinda player with limited file support. if ur only dealing with mp3s, thats not a problem. overall, im very pleased with my dell dj. the issue of being unable to play all files has been fixed with a firmware release, too.

May 22, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wctkdman
I've done some reading and can't really decide between the two, now that there is essentially no price difference between them (if I get the DJ, I'll get the FM remote with it). I am just wondering what the rest of you think about this. I have 17 gigs of mp3's, wavs, etc., so that is somewhat of a factor to keep in mind. They are already organized by folders, and about 3/4 of the tags are completely there (I haven't gotten around to tagging a bit of them), but I probably won't put all of them on there. I am just wondering what would be the best one to get overall...I heard that the joystick on the iriver can be a pain...is it really that bad as to avoid purchasing it?

these are two totally different beasts. The iHP is the file/folder navigation type, and the DJ is the iD3-dB type. I guess if you don't want to tag all your tracks, go with the iHP. Otherwise, I would say get anything else. The iHP is at the bottom of my list. Navigating through the files/folders is irritating because you can only see 14 characters per line despite the hi-res screen. The joystick is simply the worst controller out of all the players I've tested. There's a hundred other little things. The DJ, while light on features, is so much easier to use, and the controls are top-notch. I'd go with the DJ or consider the Karma if you can afford another $100.

May 22, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by wctkdman
I have another question...can the iriver sort by both tag info and directory? I read IGN's review and it seems like it can.

Yes, sort of. You can use a program on your PC to scan its' hard drive and build a id3-tag database. HOWEVER, it has a major flaw in that any filename longer than 52 characters will not be read and imported into that database. Makes it useless for me. Really poor implementation on iRiver's part. I guess you can just rename all your long filenames if you're OK with that.

May 22, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I decided on the iriver since I don't really want to tag all the rest of my files. I think most , if not all, of my files are <52 chars as it is now, so that isn't an issue since they are in track ##-title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back