Can't Decide ----- Best IEM under 160$
Jul 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

ZeeFier

New Head-Fier
I've been searching the forums for weeks and just can't decide what IEM I would most likely be happy with and enjoy.
I like a to be able to hear the vocals -- separation -- and have a awesome sound-stage. Also like good Treble and Mid, not overly bassy but controlled. Been looking at the Fischer Audio DBA-02 and the Shure se215. Can you give me any suggestions to what would be good. Either the ones I mentioned or completely different ones. If I need to give anymore info I will be happy too. Thanks in advance.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 37
X2 on the GR07

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 37
I can't recommend the GR07s enough. If I were to spend $160 on a pair of IEMs it would most certainly be the GR07s...that is if I didn't already own a pair. :D
Can you recommend a place to buy..... I was leaning towards those at first but couldn't find them anywhere? They look like really awesome phones.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 37
I third the GR07s...and yes, Lendmeurears.com is good, and they also have a store on ebay.  I (and I think Dweaver) both bought from www.earphones on ebay as well and they are legit. I doubt www is an authorized dealer however.  I know Lendmeurears is.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 37
GR07,DDM, RE262, B2/DBA02, FX500 and EX600 are the most technically proficient. They're all very different though so I will just research into what suits you best. I don't like recommending an IEM just because I'm enjoying it myself as that just turns my input into hype that may not be suitable.

There's lots of factors to consider such as isolation, comfort, build and sonic preferences & priorities that make everyone's preferences vary. From the little that you mention I will rule out the FX500s as they don't render vocals as well as the IEMs mentioned and perhaps the DDMs because they may or may-not be too bassy (specifics are needed). 

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 37
I don't find good highs on GR-07.
They are very good for instrumental music, soundstage is so big and airy:)
Also they are making better sound when amping.
Maybe HF?

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 37
GR07,DDM, RE262, B2/DBA02, FX500 and EX600 are the most technically proficient. They're all very different though so I will just research into what suits you best. I don't like recommending an IEM just because I'm enjoying it myself as that just turns my input into hype that may not be suitable.

There's lots of factors to consider such as isolation, comfort, build and sonic preferences & priorities that make everyone's preferences vary. From the little that you mention I will rule out the FX500s as they don't render vocals as well as the IEMs mentioned and perhaps the DDMs because they may or may-not be too bassy (specifics are needed). 

Thought I'd just list the preferences you mentioned.
Isolation: As much as I can get.... I don't travel alot so not to worried in that aspect as much, just no leakage.
Comfort: I normally wear phones quite a bit of the day... So medium to high comfort.. I bike so they better stay in too.
Build: That's why I sorta got away from the dba-02 and am leaning towards the gr07.I want something that will last me a year or two, and will do pretty good in everyday use.
Sonic preferences: Something with awesome soundstage, good mids, good highs, and deep controlled bass, not overly bassy but enough to represent what the artist probably wanted. And I love good instrument separation.
Source and amp: For sources I mostly listen to lossless straight out of my iPod touch 4g and sometimes my laptop. As for amp I don't have one yet but hope to get one in the near future.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 37
I personally prefer RE0 to DBA-02, but that's just me. There is really no best headphone - it's all about personal preferences. Sure, many will say that this headphone is technically better than that one, but how important is it really? HD800 may be brilliant, but if the listener craves lots of bass, he may be more satisfied with a D2000 that costs ~$900 less. And to complicate things further, more expensive headphones are not necessarily techincally superior to cheaper ones either. Many will argue that DBA-02 sounds technically better than RE0, but I disagree. I think DBA-02 is just brighter and more aggressive and many people prefer that type of sound to the darker, more subtle and polite RE0 signature. And to complicate things even further - what exactly does techincally superior sound mean? Does it mean less distortion and a flatter frequency response? But what is a flatter frequency response then? Some argue that diffuse field equalization produces the most natural response, while others disagree. And what about such aspects of sound as detail resolution, speed and clarity? I think they are extremely subjective and depend on many things. For example, the amount of detail one can hear from an IEM may depends on fit, source used, music bitrate and recording quality, environment and the person's hearing ability. The same applies to speed, clarity, definition, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back