Cant choose!
Apr 29, 2006 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kasp3r

500+ Head-Fier
I want to buy a new mp3 player, but there are to many to choose from so i am asking the head fi community to give me their knowledge
very_evil_smiley.gif

here are some things I am looking for.

:Hard Drive Mp3 player
::Between 150-350$
::Looks nice
::Has nice Features
::Can play audio formats
::plays Video
::Long battery Life
::I want to be able to use my music files that I have already
::If they have accessories..ex something to protect the outside of the mp3 player
::Easy to use buttons

Something along those lines...

Any suggestions would be nice

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
::Has nice Features

like what?
Quote:

::Can play audio formats

which ones?
Quote:

::Long battery Life

how long?
Quote:

::I want to be able to use my music files that I have already

which are in what format?

right now, the top of the line hard drive players are the creative zen vision:m, the iaudio x5 or x5l (double the battery life), and the ipod.

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 26
Best bang for your buck these days seems to be the shuffle, get one of those and some sweet iem's and you will be groovin'.

edit: doesnt play video, but will you really use that feature, in the long run? really?

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
like what?

which ones?

how long?

which are in what format?

right now, the top of the line hard drive players are the creative zen vision:m, the iaudio x5 or x5l (double the battery life), and the ipod.

I was thinking of the x5l but does it come with any accessories? If you know any show me the link hehe

Formats I mean like mp3, acc,...you know the good stuff
biggrin.gif

I really like the x5l for the battery life but I have heard bad ratings for it, does anyone own one?

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 26
I think an iPod would work for you, wouldn't it?

I use a 5G 30GB model and am quite happy with it. It does everything you want and there's a *ton* of aftermarket accessories for it.

iPods have a good resale value, too. You're not going to make money off it, but you can always sell a decent used one for a fair price.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I think an iPod would work for you, wouldn't it?

I use a 5G 30GB model and am quite happy with it. It does everything you want and there's a *ton* of aftermarket accessories for it.

iPods have a good resale value, too. You're not going to make money off it, but you can always sell a decent used one for a fair price.

Yeah I know but I hate Itunes..but I like the ipod revolutionary wheel. I am prolly gonna get the x5l but I want to hear from anyone here if they recommend it.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh
So you could run Rockbox on the iPod and have all the iPod advantages and not have to put up with iTunes.

h

what is rockbox exactly?

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 26
heres an x5 review
http://iaudiophile.net/content.php?review.24

you can use the ipod with other software as well, not just itunes. theres a handful to choose from.

rockbox will not allow you to play video (you'll have to switch back and forth between it and the stock firmware).

the x5l has much more battery life than the ipod. and much MUCH more than the ipod with rockbox.

the iaudio x5(l) and the creative vision:m will not play aac files. they will play WMA files which the ipod will not

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 26
As with most of these things, there are tradeoffs.

The iAudio has more features, but has a smaller screen (iPod 320x240 pixels, 50x38mm vs iAudio 160x128 pixels, 36x29mm).

The iAudio, in the L for large version, has 35 hours playback vs 20 for the 60Gb iPod.

The iPod offers a 60 gb version, the iAudio has only 30 Gb.

Size?

X5L: 103.7 X 60.8 X 18.3 mm

iPod 60Gb 104x62x14

So the 60 Gb is a hair longer, 2 mm wider, and 4.3 mm thinner, but has twice the capacity, bigger screen, but shorter battery life.

Rockbox battery life? Yep, it is shorter, at the moment. Official release of Rockbox for the iPod is November/December. That release will, IIRC, include the iAudio. At that time the battery life under Rockbox should be near the iPod quoted values, it might be a tad better or worse.

h

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 26
you're comparing apples and oranges on more than one occasion and are wrong as well

battery life:
ipod 30GB 14 hours
ipod 60GB 20 hours

iaudio X5 30GB 14 hours
iaudio X5 60GB 14 hours
iaudio X5L 30GB 35 hours

the X5 does have a 60GB version, but there is no L version.

the X5 is already supported by rockbox, but unless you're looking for gapless and some other advanced sound options, the x5 already has the drag and drop interface stock (which is why you mentioned rockbox in the first place).

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 26
the same as the X5L (brickish would be a good word
wink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaudiophile
iAudio X5 30GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 14.3mm/18.3mm 145g
iAudio X5L 30GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 18.3mm/22.3mm 180g
iAudio X5 60GB 103.7 mm X 60.8mm X 18.3mm/22.3mm ??? g

the second thickness is after the hump.

i'm usually the first to mention the size of the ipod, but this guy asked for battery life and didn't mention size as a concern.

if you care about the size, by all means get the ipod.

if you need aac support, get the ipod

if you have a bunch of pirated movies, get the vision:m

if you want battery life first and foremost, get the x5l

if you want 60GB, the ipod is the way to go

if you want drag and drop, dont get the ipod unless you're willing to rockbox it (and understand the limitations)

if you want features like FM and recording, get the vision:m (or the X5 - but i'd say the vision:m is much better overall)

if you want to try online music subscription like napster, rhapsody, yahoo, or others, get the vision:m

worth mentioning (since he said he didn't like itunes)
-the ipod can work with software other than itunes. one option is a plugin for winamp. there are others as well.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #15 of 26
I moved from a iRiver H320 to a 5G 60Gb iPod, I know what brickish means
smily_headphones1.gif

I did seriously consider the iAudio, but the extra features that the iRiver already had I didnt use. So I went for size. I would not have bought the iPod without Rockbox.

h

Users who are viewing this thread

Back