Cant choose!
Apr 29, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #16 of 26
I read all post so here is what Im really going at

the x5l has long battery life I like that alot
I want something that doesnt scratch easy
anything about 20-30 gigs is fine to me
I just want to get my music and movies that I have on my computer and put it on the mp3 player and go!
I cant do the Zen M because It only works with xp I have 2000
I dont watch movies alot if I did I would prolly have 1 or 2 on it
I want to be able to customize it

so the x5l is looking really good right now, the only things Im worry about are

I need to fine a case protector like for the screen as well, cant find any for the x5l
if the battery dies for the x5l do I get a replacement? how much does it cost to get a replacement?
and tree nav thing, is it alright? or is it really crappy?

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #17 of 26
Cowon will replace your batery if it dies for about $40-50 (to cover shipping, labor, new battery, etc.) but you shouldn't have to worry about that for a long time.

Zcover makes some nice covers for the iAudio X5L which include a detachable belt clip (mine even glows in the dark) http://www.zcover.com/zCover_index_cowon.htm

I like the Directory structure just fine because *i* choose how I organize my music. I like to do it by Artist->Album->song, and I usually listen to full albums at a time so I'm not constantly scrolling through. You can make playlists on the fly if that's your thing too. The joystick is obviously not as fast to use for scrolling through a lot of stuff as the iPod, but if you care about the battery life and other features enough, then the tradeoff is well worth it

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconroy
Cowon will replace your batery if it dies for about $40-50 (to cover shipping, labor, new battery, etc.) but you shouldn't have to worry about that for a long time.

Zcover makes some nice covers for the iAudio X5L which include a detachable belt clip (mine even glows in the dark) http://www.zcover.com/zCover_index_cowon.htm

I like the Directory structure just fine because *i* choose how I organize my music. I like to do it by Artist->Album->song, and I usually listen to full albums at a time so I'm not constantly scrolling through. You can make playlists on the fly if that's your thing too. The joystick is obviously not as fast to use for scrolling through a lot of stuff as the iPod, but if you care about the battery life and other features enough, then the tradeoff is well worth it

Thanks for the link, this answers alot of the questions I was wondering with the mp3 player. the 5l is sweet, cant wait to show it off
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #19 of 26
Btw how do I install lame or someother music converter. I have no idea how...

I tryed to install EAC but it keeps freezing when its starts up.

Is there a easyer way to convert mp3,wmv,acc,ogg, like all my music type into one good music type? I dont know what that is tho..

Apr 30, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasp3r
Btw how do I install lame or someother music converter. I have no idea how...

I tryed to install EAC but it keeps freezing when its starts up.

Is there a easyer way to convert mp3,wmv,acc,ogg, like all my music type into one good music type? I dont know what that is tho..

Converting from "lossy" to "lossy" is not recommended. You'd be better off if you re-rip your music to FLAC(or any other lossless format), and just transcode from that to your player or since the X5 already supports FLAC, your can just drag them to the player.

Apr 30, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
Converting from "lossy" to "lossy" is not recommended. You'd be better off if you re-rip your music to FLAC(or any other lossless format), and just transcode from that to your player or since the X5 already supports FLAC, your can just drag them to the player.

my music arent from cds, they are mp3 mostly. so just convert it to flac? isnt ogg lossy and better?

May 1, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

my music arent from cds, they are mp3 mostly. so just convert it to flac? isnt ogg lossy and better?

If your music is already in a lossy format such as mp3, ogg,...I suggest you only convert the formats that are not compatible with your mp3 player of choice. So if you already have mp3's, there is no point in converting them to another format, because they sound will not get any better.

Example:

If you are going from CD to mp3. The encoder removes bits from the original CD that it considers inaudible. Also depending on the bitrate, it might remove some audible bits. If you then choose to convert the "lossy" mp3 file to a format like ogg vorbis, the encoder again removes bits from the mp3 file. So you end up loosing more and more from the original sound.

Even if you convert the mp3 to FLAC(lossless), you won't loose anything from the mp3 file, but also won't gain anything, because you are only unpacking the compressed file(kind of like extracting a ZIP file).

May 1, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

If your music is already in a lossy format such as mp3, ogg,...I suggest you only convert the formats that are not compatible with your mp3 player of choice. So if you already have mp3's, there is no point in converting them to another format, because they sound will not get any better.

Example:

If you are going from CD to mp3. The encoder removes bits from the original CD that it considers inaudible. Also depending on the bitrate, it might remove some audible bits. If you then choose to convert the "lossy" mp3 file to a format like ogg vorbis, the encoder again removes bits from the mp3 file. So you end up loosing more and more from the original sound.

Even if you convert the mp3 to FLAC(lossless), you won't loose anything from the mp3 file, but also won't gain anything, because you are only unpacking the compressed file(kind of like extracting a ZIP file).

wow that sucks, so everytime your convert songs, it loses its realy value. I tried one song from mp3 to flac and it went from 2.25mbmp3 to 22.8 flac lol

most of my songs are from 96kb/s,123kb/s,196kb/s and I have a few that are like 400+kb/s ?

May 1, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

most of my songs are from 96kb/s,123kb/s,196kb/s and I have a few that are like 400+kb/s ?

Its okay, If thats all you've got. I suggest that next time you buy CDs, you rip them to a lossless format to avoid losing any sound quality. Plus You have the freedom to convert to any "lossy" format of your choice.

May 1, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Its okay, If thats all you've got. I suggest that next time you buy CDs, you rip them to a lossless format to avoid losing any sound quality. Plus You have the freedom to convert to any "lossy" format of your choice.

I didnt know cds had good audio quality.

May 1, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I didnt know cds had good audio quality.

They do, as long as they are not created from a lossy file. The CDs you buy in stores are already recorded at a very high quality(although, its trumped by Vinyl). This is a great resource for your questions Lets try to stay on topic here, you can PM me if need a question asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back