Cans that sound like Super.fi 5p
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

benton

100+ Head-Fier
Okay well right now I am selling my HD-555 because they are too laid back for me. I am looking for a can that has similar sound and power to the super.fi 5 pro. I want a more upfront and bassy sound then the HD-555. I listen to jam, reggae, rap, and jack johnson and DMB type music. Can anyone help?

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Right now I am considering MS-1 or DT-770...What do you think would be best?

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Right now I am considering MS-1 or DT-770...What do you think would be best?

Well, question 1 is do you want open or closed cans?

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Open or closed it doesn't matter because these are going to be used for home.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 11
benton, I have the DT770's being used in conjunction with a Micro amp. I also have sf5p's and love the sound of both of these. The DT770 have a bit of a dip in the midrange, but I kind of like that. I wouldn't say it's exactly similar, but I'd say you'd be very happy with the 770's. I have not heard the MS-1, so cannot comment there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Sounds like you're a prime candidate for some Grado SR225's.

I disagree. The Grado's or MS1 for that matter are forward sounding, the super fi's are more laid back and a little mid recessed. I say the Audio Technica a900's are the perfect candidate, they are bassy just like the 5's and have the recessed mids also. Yes, I had the a900's before.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't think the super.fi 5 and DT770 sound much alike. They both have excellent bass impact, but the bass on the DT770 is much fuller and more present. The super.fi's make up for it by having a more present midrange. Treble on both is crisp and detailed without being harsh or fatiguing.

I'd say the two have a very similar attitude and presentation, but I wouldn't necessarily say that they sound alike.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 11
I have both the sf5p and dt770 and I must say, I was surprised to find that the dt770 dont sound too different from the 5 pros. It has more bass punch than the 5 pros, but the middle range is slightly recessed. But it more than makes up with the detail, soundstage and highs which are similar or better than the 5 pros.

I use my dt770 mostly with my laptop watching movies, listening to music and playing games and it does that very well. 5 pros are usually exclusively used with my ipod which sounds great unamped.

To help cure the dt770's mid range dip, I ordered a mint cmoy with OPA2227s and it does seem to help a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back