Cans that faded away
Jun 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

shasty

100+ Head-Fier
Or rather, that are no longer talked about in headfi.

When I first joined, recommendations for portable closed cans usually resulted in either Sony V6, Senn HD280, DT 250, or occasionally Sony eggos. Those all seem to have submerged from conversations these days with numerous introductions of new portable cans and iems. Seems like they lost their niche.

I also remember the two main contenders of introductory iems were Shure e2c's and Ety er6i's.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 38
I have a pair of Senn HD 280pro's and love 'em. I even kept them and sold my HD 600's. I feel no need to discuss them with the unwashed masses...

I also have Signet headphones - when did you last hear them discussed?

Laz

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 38
The main reason is probably simply that the IEM market has bloomed with many many new offerings.
What might also be happening is that older members who started off with the aforementioned headphones may not be interested in the "recommend me a starter headphone" threads anymore/may not feel as comfortable recommending these headphones after having moved onto better equipment. (I am probably guilty of this)
So we get this FOTM-like phenomenon - something new is introduced and the "old" headphones are forgotten. I've seen this with the V6s, HD280s, ..., K81DJ, RP21...

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 38
Duggeh - if you are a student - where is all of your money comming from?

Anyways - What about the Kenwood and Pioneer offerings from the 70's - early 80's ?

The very early AKGs? The Beyer 48's?

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 38
The Sony MDR-CD3000s aren't on the radar screen anymore.
It's partly due to being discontinued, but other discontinued headphones like the K1000s are regularly talked about.
The Sonys are quite unique and overall very good headphones.A bit too bright though, but no cans are perfect.
Most users tend to keep them so although there were sold in relatively huge quantities it's not easy to get a pair in good condition, and be prepared to pay a premium price,
Head-fi member Nickchen is selling his good CD3000s, and he's asking 500 Euros for them.That's ~$800 for those with a crappy currency, and I guess with a little patience he will get that much or at least close to his asking price.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 38
All is quiet on the W100 and W1000 front as well.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Germania - If you're a student - Why is it that you can't spell coming?

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He detects spelling errors and charges £2 for each.
That's about $230 at the current exchange rate, and you can easily get stinking rich that way in the times of the internet ........
Quote:

Anyways - What about the Kenwood and Pioneer offerings from the 70's - early 80's ?

The very early AKGs? The Beyer 48's?

Some cans are forgotten for a reason.Those were never talked about here anyway except when someone wanted to know something about the history of headphones audio.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Anything small popular and worth just under $1500. Search jewelary or watches would be my recommendation.

quick, go get him!

(this was from another thread)

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 38
The amount of scotch I've had in the time between the posts gives me excuse immunity
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Senn HD 280pro's and love 'em. I even kept them and sold my HD 600's. I feel no need to discuss them with the unwashed masses...

I also have Signet headphones - when did you last hear them discussed?

Laz

I've posted about my Signet TK44 a few times over the last month or so. Most recently on Friday.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 38
The ones that pop into my head are the Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-CD3000, both of which I like. I'm listening right now to Grado HF-1s and am also in possession of a loaner pair of headphiled HF-1s - really really nice cans. You don't hear much at all about them these days. I know they're no longer available, but there should still be more than a few on head-fiers' ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back