Cans for the office
Jan 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

m4rcu5

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

Most of my listening i do at the office. And i wan looking for some cans i can use there.
The office is not a cubicle, more a open room with 8 desks in it. They have a radio playing quietly, but after Monday i cannot stand radio 3FM anymore for the rest of the week.

So i started looking for some cans i can use in that environment. It doesn't matter to me if there is some leakage of the office sounds into the cans, so i can hear the phone. But i don't want the whole office to hear my music.

I will be running the cans of a iBasso D6 fed by my netbook, so hard to drive won't be a real problem.

My music style differs a lot, but mostly the following: alternative rock, electro/house, singer/songwriter.

I was hoping you guys can help me out find something suitable.

Of course the budget: $150 max. That is what made me looking at the Alessandro MS1i, i do not know if they suite my environment.

-m4rcu5

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 16
Klipsch Image One, good comfort, easily driven, good isolation and very little leaking (depends on the fit as usual). Slight bumped bass but nothing much. It's "on-ear" sized though which is not preferred by everyone but it's unusually comfortable for an on-ear at least.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm using the AKG K240 Studio in the office and I think they're excellent. They let sound in so you can hear your colleagues calling for you, but do not leak a lot so they can't really hear what you're listening to. They are slightly boosted in the midbass and treble is a little rolled off, which give them a non-fatiguing, fun sounding signature at low volumes. Together with pleather pads, they are comfortable enough to be worn for hours.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I'm using the AKG K240 Studio in the office and I think they're excellent. They let sound in so you can hear your colleagues calling for you, but do not leak a lot so they can't really hear what you're listening to. They are slightly boosted in the midbass and treble is a little rolled off, which give them a non-fatiguing, fun sounding signature at low volumes. Together with pleather pads, they are comfortable enough to be worn for hours.

That sounds like a really good tip!
Are you talking about the MK I or II? Or do you know what the difference is except for its better looks :wink:

I will be listening at low volumes most of the time.

I also see in your signature that you modded the cable. Has it a normal mini XLR connector on the cans them selfs?

-m4rcu5

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 16
The K240 Studio/Mk.II/K242HD are the same with different colour schemes and accessories. If you want velour pads you'd have to go for the Mk.II or K242HD unless you can buy the pads from a dealer.

I actually own both Sextett and Studio versions of the K240. The Studio in the office is using a shorter Canare L-2B2AT cable with Switchcraft TA3FL mini XLR plug. Note that only the Studio and Mk.II have mini-XLR jacks for cable swapping.

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
The K240 Studio/Mk.II/K242HD are the same with different colour schemes and accessories. If you want velour pads you'd have to go for the Mk.II or K242HD unless you can buy the pads from a dealer.

I actually own both Sextett and Studio versions of the K240. The Studio in the office is using a shorter Canare L-2B2AT cable with Switchcraft TA3FL mini XLR plug. Note that only the Studio and Mk.II have mini-XLR jacks for cable swapping.

Thanks for the info.

It seems that i can get the K-240 MKII at a respectable dutch shop, and they come with leather and velor pads.
I also love replaceable cables, just because i know how bad i sometimes handle them :wink:

The M50s is also one was i am looking at. Same goes for the MS-1i, but i am afraid they are a bit to open and let to much in and out.
Can someone confirm this?

-m4rcu5

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Sorry to hijack your post, I am also looking for something in the office. And actually I am thinking about Alessandro MS1i too because I never had Grado before and I don't want something too big hanging on my head all day.

I was trying to pick one from my Sennheiser px100, Koss pp and UE TF10 for the office, but my px100 is way too old and pp isn't comfortable. Also these two don't really sound too good. TF10, as an in-ear, not for wearing whole day at all.

From your signature, you have Sennheiser HD212Pro, that should be good for the office use if you don't mind big things. I have HD600 and they are very comfortable, so I guess HD212 should also be the same. And, AKG K240 should also be very good, semi-open, won't leak too much sound and you can still hear the outside. I had K501 before, although I don't like it's sound signature, but it is also very comfortable.

From what I read here, compare with SR80i, MS1i seems have more relaxing sound, which is what I need when working. The only thing I am concerned now is if MS1i is comfortable enough to wear for hours. And from alessandro website, they have 2009 model which is 10 bucks more, anybody know what's the difference?

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 16
The HD212Pro is my trow around headphone for in the studio. It s also not a headphone i want to wear for long periods of time. And on top of all that it blocks a bit to much sounds, so i cant hear the phone or a colleague.

The Alessandro/Grado appealed to me because it is a really inknown brand over here, and i like to try something non-mainstream. But i am worried that they are e bit to open, so i hear to much of my colleagues and they hear to much of my music.

The AKG K-240 MKII seems to fit my needs, as an half open headphone without much leakage and nice comfortable.

The 2009 model of the Alessandro was based on the 'i' version of Grado if i remember correctly. here is the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/414269/alessandro-music-series-one-2009-improved-version-question

-m4rcu5

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 16
X2 for AT M50 or Shure 440 - 880
I'd also suggest Denon D2000 

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 16
Denon DN-HP700, more clear and bright sign than the M50, with decent amp they have nice warm controlled bass. i might be regretting about buying the M50s to replace the HP700... or maybe i should give the M50 more time... 

But the HP700 grew on me after trying the M50

plus they look superb.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 16
Ooowww, so many options make my brain melt. Thanks for all the input!

Off the list are the SR80i, MS1 (to open) and the Image One (to small). the Denon D2000 is way out of budget.
The HP700 looks ok (except that i dislike its style
wink.gif
).

The Shure 440 - 880 are really one to look into, i do respect Shure and like a lot of their products. (I have a decent collection of Shure mic's)

The AT M50 looks like a really respectable headphone if i read the reviews, but i seem to like the K-240 MKII better. Hard decisions here.
Ill Google around the Shure vs M50 vs K-240, i think its going to be a tough one.

Thanks for all the input so far! I hope frozenfire can also use some of it.

-m4rcu5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back