cans for old rock-not Grados
Mar 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

twc5964

500+ Head-Fier
Last nite I was trying to enjoy some music with the 225's,microdac,and amp.....after an hour my ears could'nt take it anymore.Just too damn bright sounding and uncomfortable on my head.I see why some dont like Grados when you have no use of tone controls to turn down the treble.

I wont be able to use the dac much when using the grados so i can attenuate the treble with the equalizer in the pcdp.I admit they are visciously too bright with no tone control at all...damn......i've always used bass and treble adjustments with headphones and I'm not using the computer as a source anymore.I still want to use the dac permanently with the setup but i might consider selling one of the two pairs of grados(225,MS2i) for something else thats 1. not as bright sounding with a warmer flavor and 2. definitely more comfortable but I dont know what to get.I use to own 595's and I enjoyed them .I'm a Grado fan at heart,however,they do have two disadvantages imo listed above.

I've read many a thread here.What would you recommend please.I listen to strictly older alternative/punk/70's rock .Some is comparable to old rock and electronica.I'm too cheap to shell out the money for c-pads for my Grados but if this does improve the comfort level and tame the highs then this is the path I must go I presume.I dont think Sennheiser is my cup of tea so to speak unless someone can convince me the hd 600 or 650's might work.Any suggestions from those with more experience thats owned many a headphone and or used the c-pads ?

I'm thinking maybe the:
DT 990 05
2200 ULE
PROLINE 2500
possibly c-pads from Headphile ?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 15
You can try to reverse your bowls, which IME lead to the best sound out of any of the pads (at least with the RS-1). Unfortunately, it will be the most uncomfortable out of any of the pads.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 15
Flats worth it IMO.You get the old school Grado sound
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm surprised that you find the MS2i too bright....but then again; my ears are getting old, just like John Grado...so the MS2i works well for me!

....how's THAT for name dropping!!?

Another thing that works for me is the HD600 that I use as a complement to the MS2i and find that I can use either set of cans quite successfully with quite a variety of music. But yet; to be honest for the rock kind of stuff I do tend to use the MS2i more consistently.

There is another Alessandro that isn't quite as bright as the MS2i, and that's the MS-1. It's not so much that it's less bright, but the highs aren't extended and as clear as the MS2i so they seem a bit less bright in comparison.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that you find the MS2i too bright....but then again; my ears are getting old, just like John Grado...so the MS2i works well for me!

Isn't it JOE Grado?

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 15
Make no mistake about it..I love the ms2's with a passion,however,they are still bright sounding but still much better than the 225's.I'll have to leave the dac out of the equation I guess so I can go back to attenuating the treble with the eq.

Mar 4, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 15
Which vendor sell Grado flat pads and ships internationally?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back