cans for my GF (no IEM's)??
Mar 20, 2006 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jacquer

100+ Head-Fier
She uses the Shuffle. The budget is about 70$. I cannot choose grado sr-60's cuz they are too expensive in my country. I need them to be portable and suitable for commuting (decent islation). I was thinking about px100, eh350 and dt 231. Which of them wins in terms of SQ? The isolation is the second important factor... Any other cans to recommend? Waiting for your advice...

Thanks in advance.

Mar 20, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquer
She uses the Shuffle. The budget is about 70$. I cannot choose grado sr-60's cuz they are too expensive in my country. I need them to be portable and suitable for commuting (decent islation). I was thinking about px100, eh350 and dt 231. Which of them wins in terms of SQ? The isolation is the second important factor... Any other cans to recommend? Waiting for your advice...

Thanks in advance.

PX200. The PX100 offers no isolation and it would be very bad for your GF's ears 'cus she'll have to turn up the volume to compensate for the ambient noise. The PX200 is the closed version of the PX100. SQ is compromised though. eH350 may be a little big for portable use. Cable might also be a little long, but it's not too bad. They rival the SR60 in terms of sound quality, as did its predecessor, the HD497. DT231? I can't comment on them because I haven't used them before.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
PX200. The PX100 offers no isolation and it would be very bad for your GF's ears 'cus she'll have to turn up the volume to compensate for the ambient noise. The PX200 is the closed version of the PX100. SQ is compromised though. eH350 may be a little big for portable use. Cable might also be a little long, but it's not too bad. They rival the SR60 in terms of sound quality, as did its predecessor, the HD497. DT231? I can't comment on them because I haven't used them before.

Thanks for your input.
That's what I thought. The px100 has no isolation, px200 is worse in terms of SQ, eh350 too big for portable use, better purchase would be probably hd555 for home use taking 'big' cans into consideration. Are the IEM's the only solution?

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 21
the px line may not be pretty enough.

Try the Audio Technica ATH-CM3. They come in nice pastel and silver colors, and as far as buds go they are pretty good in the high and mids - no bass tho. Got mine from audiocubes, the wife has had them longer than, uh, ALL of the cans I currently own.

5882.jpg

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
the px line may not be pretty enough.

The OP said the most important factors are SQ and isolation. Why do you assume she needs it to be "pretty"?
frown.gif

The AKG K26P ($40) will isolate more than the Px200 (so I've heard, I haven't heard the Px200 myself), SQ is certainly better than ipod earbuds but not fabulous. I like mine for commuting.

A little higher up is the K81DJ ($70) which is supposed to sound quite a bit better than the K26P.

THere's also the ATH-FC7, which in my experience does not isolate as much as the K26P but does sound better.

I've heard the Dt231 is well-liked by some, although I haven't heard it.

There's been a lot of threads about closed portable headphones lately...

Edited for typos.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 21
You are absolutely right. That was a sexist comment. Who needs pretty. The Sennheiser HD280 folds up for portable use, will isolate more than any cans suggested above, and at the 100 buck mark very well better be an improvement in SQ. If it's a little uncomfortable, feel free to Hulk that headband out. Or She-Hulk it, I don't want to assume.
tyllhulk.jpg

And before people assume that I previously assumed that ugly cans are only for men - I wouldn't be caught dead wearing HD280s in public either.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 21
That picture is AWESOME.

And thanks for the reply. I think most people like their portable headphones to look good, myself included. Except Portapro users of course.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomic
That picture is AWESOME.

And thanks for the reply. I think most people like their portable headphones to look good, myself included. Except Portapro users of course.
icon10.gif

Hey, I resent that! portaPros are headphones too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum22
is that you, jahn?

HAH

[size=xx-small]that's tyll hertsens from Headroom *cough*[/size]

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #12 of 21
What is your GF's objection to IEM's? Comfort? If so, I recently purchased some Creative EP-630's that are close to being IEM's but are much more comfortable. My wife couldn't even stand the Senn MX500 earbud but the EP630 has a wonderful soft fit. It also isolates well although not up to the standard of a true IEM. I think EP630's are widely available in Europe.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #13 of 21
I really don't see what can be wrong with the PX100 apart from lack of isolation and sound leakage... They're quite purty IMO.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for many replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsdaddy
What is your GF's objection to IEM's? Comfort?

Yes, it's all about comfort issues. When she uses my er-4p's, she feels auricle pain. But it's probably caused by that she's not used to wearing them and I remember that I had similar problem when I bought the first canalphones. Another thing is that she's got headache after long listening periods (I mean 1 hour
tongue.gif
). However, I think that being used to using ordinary earbuds she listens to music too loud - and that could be the biggest culprit.

I was thinking about buying the er6i's so I will try to encourage her to use my IEM's for a week and then we will see.

The ep630's are very comfortable but generally worse in terms of SQ but has some decent isolation (unlike px100). They cost a little less than px100 but I've heard that they are also a little worse. My friend has got them so I will find out whether she likes the sound signature (they are dark unlike the er6i).
From time to time I use the ultra-soft flex sleeves from Shure (I prefer triflanges for they are more detailed to my ears) on er4p's. They are comfortable indeed. Does anyone know whether it is possible to use them on er6i's?

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back