cans for md portable
Jul 15, 2002 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tina

100+ Head-Fier
i'm shopping for mid size cans for my md unit and i saw the senn hd250 on a magazine. what's the scoop on these pair? somebody said it sucks but someone said it's good (both opinions from not serious audiophiles). please fill me in on this.

i'm out of reach for grados and koss in this place so only senn and sony are my options i guess. these sony cans were recomended: dxxsl, 7506, d22sl, d66sl.

any thoughts and any more suggestions?

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 8
The Sony D66 "eggo" are very nice little phones but are a little bit expensive, depending on where you live. I enjoy them very much and their sound quality is equivalent or better to other 100 US dollar headpones I have heard and are very comfortable. I don't know if it's a consideration but they don't block out very much ambient noise though. The short cord is excellent for use with a MD remote.

If you can get the 7506 or V6 (not V600) at a good price they would work well with your MD and will block out more external noise than the D66. They are much larger and more conspicuous than then eggos so it depends on how 'portable' you need the phones to be. You said you're looking for mid size cans which they definitely are.

It would be best if you could try out both of these before you made your decision.

Another option although haven't heard them yet are the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80. These are quite expensive at around $170. If you do a search you'll find several recommendations for them. They have nice, soft earcup material which I prefer over the pleather found on some 'phones. I am very interested in the 250 ohm version of this headphone for use with my MD+amplifier setup at work.

Good luck with whatever you choose Tina!

Jul 15, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi Tina, sorry about your wallet... or... purse! For portable mid size I would recommend the Sennheiser HD280PRO ($100), unless it is a bit too awkward for your tastes, otherwise, I would recommend the Sony V6 ($70). Although, if you are willing to spend the money, I would agree to try the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 ($150).

Jul 15, 2002 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Tina, the Sennheiser HD250-II needs an amp - its nominal impedance is 300 ohms (and MD portables aren't designed to drive such high-impedance headphones without an amp), and its sensitivity is a very modest 94dB @ 1 Vrms.

Jul 16, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 8
If your using one of the new Sony MD's that have 8 steps of bass and treble, the Sony V6's/7506's will sound very nice.

Jul 16, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks for these recommendations guys. you've been a great help.
Eagle_Driver, i wouldn't mind to get an amp to go with the 250 II. but is this really good for its $150 price range comparing if i'll get the d66?

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 8
i will suggest the koss ksc35....they may not be easy to find but would be a worthwile choice ....

i have used mine with my sony mz-n707 md unit..it has 5mW per channel output and the koss's sound great.....and they have a shorter cord so you wont get all tangled up in it...

ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back