Cans for College
Aug 14, 2002 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Andro

New Head-Fier
Hi folks!

I've got several questions here, and I would greatly appreciate your time in reading and lending me some advice as to what direction I should go with.

First of all, I'm heading out to college in about two weeks here (Hooray), and the college that I will be attending requires that all students bring headphones for music listening. Now, I listen to a lot of music so was disappointed with this rule, but now I've got to find some headphones for myself.

At this moment, my home stereo is connected to my computer. I do not have "computer speakers", and don't intend on purchasing any for college. The headphones that I will be getting will be used basically in all situations; walking to classes, chilling out in the dorm room, the bus ride when I come home for the weekends, etc. My music tastes tend to be more rock, with occasional heavy bass... Usually a more "industrial" feel.

Ideally, I would like a closed pair of headphones that would have wireless capabilities while in the dorm room, and I would be able to attach a wire for portable use. However, I don't think such a thing exists.

Now, I realize I may also need a portable headphone amp for when I am listening to music on the go. My music source will be my computer, since it can easily play both CD's and MP3's that I download. I plan on plugging the headphones themselves straight into the computer's sound card (Soundblaster Live! Value), so I am wondering if perhaps I need one for dorm room use also.

Questions:

Is there, in fact, a closed headphone that is portable AND wireless? If so, what is it?

What headphones should I be looking at? Initially I was tempted to purchase the Sennheiser RS-85's, but I soon realized that these would not meet my listening needs for travel. Are the Grados really the way to go for a rock music listener?

Would I be better off buying two pairs of headphones? (One a wireless pair for dorm room use and the other a pair for portable use.) If so, are the Sennheiser RS-85's a good choice for dorm room use (What other models have quality sound that are closed and wireless?)? What headphones should I be looking at for portable use?

and finally...

Is it necessary to purchase an amplifier for dorm room use? Can I use a portable amp for both travel and room use? If so, what model should I be looking at?

Thanks so very much for your time in reading this long post.

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 14
Unfortunately, the Sennheiser wireless systems are pretty poor in terms of sound quality. I'd get a good closed headphone and an extension cable.

It terms of what headphones to get, you'll probably want a pair of rugged closed cans that sound good. My list (from most preferred to least):

Beyer DT250-80
Sony MDR-V6/7506
Sennheiser HD 280

All of these can be used without an amp, even directly from a portable.

Aug 14, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Andro

First of all, I'm heading out to college in about two weeks here (Hooray), and the college that I will be attending requires that all students bring headphones for music listening. Now, I listen to a lot of music so was disappointed with this rule, but now I've got to find some headphones for myself.

Wow. Is Head-Fi in league with colleges now?

Hmmm. Try the Head-Fier's (arguable) favorite, the Sony MDR-7506. Although I've only auditioned it once under less-than optimum conditions, it seems to be a consistent ear-pleaser both in terms of sound and comfort. That some people call it 'boomy' would be IMHO an asset
very_evil_smiley.gif
since they probably listen to god knows what... Mandy Moore? Who knows... It's also closed - not with the ear-enveloping HD280 style isolation (which is a demerit in many situations), but simply usably closed.

As Open phones go, the Grado RS225 is a superb phone - but needs an amp - and it looks like open phones aren't for you based on what you say.

So, other closed phones...

I'd have to - very unfortunately - take the Audio-Technica ATH-A9X out of my primary recommendations, despite the superb sound (almost ideal for your used I'd say) because of the really strange way it looks on a head. Well, the really strange way it looks on my head at least. If you can bear the weird looks, then it's easy to drive from most stuff, sounds like a Grado but with improved bass and a closed design - what more could you want for sound?

The Sennheiser HD280 - another headphone mentioned here often - I'd say sounds just too weak and boring. Superbly precise and just the thing to listen to a classical concert on, mind you, but still weak and boring in the main. It also makes you look like a total dork and many including me have voiced it's uncomfortable nature. The isolation though is very good.

Then there's the headphone I've just ordered, the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. I can't say anything about the sound yet, but it looks as benign as the 7506's and many here praise their sound and good bass.

If you're looking for an all-rounder, avoid the Sony V700DJ - a popular phone outside Head-Fi's shores. I have a pair, and it's really good for listening to rock/dance outside on noisy public transport, but it's not that good for much else. In it's favour is an ability to be driven from virtually anything.

Other more esoteric choices are the Etymotic phones - once again having not tried them I can't say anything but I'm sure a lot of other people here can.

An additional wireless phone for dorm use might be a good idea - although my experiences with them have been variable.

Headphone amps - well head over the headphone.com and have a browse around - but the necessity of an amp depends on your choice of phone and what your sources are. Some of us (me included) don't like to add yet another PDA-sized unit to what's already cluttering up our bags, so we opt for easily-driven phones for portable use.

Personally, I would say buy as many headphones as you can for different occasions
biggrin.gif
but that's just me...

Aug 14, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 14
I have to agree with MacDef. The sennheiser line of wireless headphones sacrifices sound quality for convenience. I'd get a pair of beyer 250-80s and an extension cable.

Aug 14, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 14
You guys rock! Thanks for the input. I'm on the virge of purchasing the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80's. They seem to be overall what I'm looking for. The only con I can see right now with them is the coiled cord... Is there anyway to replace the cord with a non-coiled one?

Also, I'll most likely purchase an amp, probably the Little or Little More Power in the future. Depends on the sound quality I get from my portable and sound card.

Thanks again, guys.

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

The only con I can see right now with them is the coiled cord... Is there anyway to replace the cord with a non-coiled one?

The good news is that the cable on the DT250 is removeable; the bad news is that there is no pre-made "straight" cable available.

If you call Beyerdynamic (800-293-4463) you have two options:

1) They can make you a straight cable for around $50

2) You can buy the special connector for around $20 and then make your own straight cable

Aug 14, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

You guys rock! Thanks for the input. I'm on the virge of purchasing the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80's. They seem to be overall what I'm looking for. The only con I can see right now with them is the coiled cord... Is there anyway to replace the cord with a non-coiled one?

Just in case you haven't seen from your own research, www.meier-audio.com usually has the best prices on new Beyers (and Senns too). As for the cord, if it's like my Beyer DT770s, replacement would require a soldering iron and a butter knife.
wink.gif
Still, I'm considering putting together a DIY job for mine. Gotta put the finishing touches on my amp first...

Quote:

Also, I'll most likely purchase an amp, probably the Little or Little More Power in the future. Depends on the sound quality I get from my portable and sound card.

Unless your sound card is an M-Audio 2496 or something in that class, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll get better sound from even a basic $30 cmoy amp. If you want to step up higher than that, I, as well as a few others around here, are building META42 amps for others. PM / ask around for more info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2002 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
FYI,

Girls by FAR have the best cans for college!

LOL i agree

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 14
There is no way you just brought up a post from 2002...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back